Veterans Day Weekend at the CVI
- We begin the Veterans Day Weekend festivities at the Carson Valley Inn this Saturday when our Core 4 Live Standup Comedy Show is headlined by 24-year Army and Navy Veteran Brian Lee. Host Sammy Solorio, Special Guest Luke Westberg and Feature Act Andy Picarro round out the evening of laughs. Enjoy it all for just a $20 ticket you can buy online at or at the Carson Valley Inn hotel desk. Doors open around 6:45 PM and it’s open-seating for the 21-or-over show starting at 7:30 pm.
- Our Free Spaghetti Lunch for all Veterans and Active Military – plus one guest – is this Sunday in the Valley Ballroom. The event starts at 11 AM with the Presentation of Colors by the Douglas High School Jr. ROTC Honor Guard followed by the national anthem and invocation. The complimentary lunch service will continue until 2 PM. Veterans and active military personnel simply present your military ID for entrance and lunch for you and your guest is on the Carson Valley Inn! If you don't have your ID, just tell the host about your service to our country and we’ll welcome you! This is the eighth year for the free Veterans Day Spaghetti Lunch which includes fresh tossed garden salad, spaghetti with choice of marinara sauce or Bolognese, garlic bread and assorted cookies. This event has become a bonding, healing and reconnecting event for the hundreds of neighbors and community residents who attend each year. It’s also an opportunity to meet new friends who share patriotism and pride for our country! Please join us!
We Had No Idea If It Was a Good Idea
But We Tried it Anyway . . .
|What If We Did a Joke Contest?|
When our social media folks told us they were going to run a joke contest to help promote this Saturday’s comedy show, we cringed! Anyone who pokes around at all on social media knows you’re likely to see or read just about anything! One of the criteria was “keep it clean” and, by gosh, everyone did! A variety of jokes were posted on both Facebook and Instagram and the winner – Andy Guerrero – was chosen by random drawing. To read his and some of the other jokes, take a look at the comments on this Facebook posting . . . A few of them are “not bad!” Keep reading our blog (new every Wednesday morning) to stay up-to-date on the pertinent happenings at and near the Carson Valley Inn! If social media is also to your liking, here are the links to our Facebook page, Twitter account, and Instagram account.
“Tie One On” Day Isn’t for Two Weeks
But We’re Getting You Started Tonight!
We know what you’re thinking when we in the casino business say Tie One On Day . . . it’s gotta be about excess drinking. Turns out it has nothing to do with drinking and unless you happened to have stumbled on this earlier in your life or taken a clue from the picture above, we’re thinking you didn’t see this one coming: Tie One On Day is about aprons!! So here we go with an explanation: at tonight’s Ladies’ Night, Julie and Kim – pictured above – will be giving out white aprons with the Carson Valley Inn logo. Everyone receiving one of these aprons is invited to decorate it in whatever creative fashion you can imagine . . . And then wear it when you come in for Ladies’ Night on Wednesday, November 28. Everyone who wears their decorated CVI apron on November 28 will be eligible for prize drawings . . . and we’ll also be giving out prizes for the best decorated aprons. The key is to get started by attending Ladies’ Night tonight and picking up your free CVI apron. And as for Tie One On Day, it’s actually Wednesday, November 21, the day before Thanksgiving. We invite you to click on any of the three links earlier in this article (each is different) to find out more! And whatever you do, don’t giveaway your CVI apron on November 21!
32 Years Ago This Week Here at the CVI
With no advance fanfare or publicity, Retired General Chuck Yeager spoke to the California Flying Farmers annual gathering at the Carson Valley Inn 32 years ago this Thursday! The attendance for the event was already pushing the limits of the CVI ballroom and the organizers of the meeting insisted on absolutely no advance mention of Yeager's upcoming appearance. At the last minute, a few members of the press were invited in for what turned out to be an incredibly fascinating presentation on the technology of flight followed by the general signing copies of his just-published book, Yeager: An Autobiography. Chuck Yeager was the first man to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947. 71 years later to the day, on October 14, 2018, spectators at the Aviation Roundup saw Blue Angel #5 fly right to the edge of the sound barrier as he made his 700+ mph Sneak Pass maneuver right down the crowd line just feet above the ground at the Minden-Tahoe Airport.
Football and Other Sports at the Inn
- Our Guys Picks! The Guys are trending in the right direction with a 5 & 3 weekend. Albeit, it’s not a reason for anyone to quit their day job but at least they can afford the Hamsteak & Eggs special in Katie’s! This week Greg is going with Wisconsin +8 at Penn St. and the Patriots -6 ½ at the Titans. Alan will fly with his Eagles -7 versus the Cowboys and Da’Bears -7 against the Lions. Mike loves Boise St. +3 on the smurf turf against Fresno St. and the over 56 of TCU/West Virginia. Steve is all over the Panthers +4 at the Steelers on Thursday night and the Bengals +4½ versus the Saints. With 9 weeks down, here’s a look at the Y-T-D Records: Alan is 8 & 10, Greg is 9 & 9, Mike is 7 & 11 and Steve is 8 & 10.
- Free Merch Monday Night: Anytime the Niners or Raiders play in prime time we’ll be there with some giveaways . . . so join us in the Cabaret Lounge Monday night for some drawings for Forty Niner and Giants hats and shirts during the game!
- The Progressive Pro PK'EM jackpot is now at $3,622 for whoever picks this week’s 15 winners or props straight up. Cards are $5 card, play as many as you wish, any ties are split.
- Monday Night Football Poker Room Grid: All squares were claimed this past Monday so it’s back to $160 total for this coming Monday’s Giants/Niners game. “The Grid” pays $40 the first three quarters and $40 for the final score . . . you must be present to win and any unclaimed winnings roll to the following week. Check the details on this page.
- Enjoy $2 Domestic Draft Beer during all NFL games at the CVI.
- On The Board! This week you can bet NCAA and NFL Football, NHL Hockey, NBA and NCAA Basketball, the Sunday Canadian Football League Division Finals, the Sunday NASCAR Can-Am 500 and Horseracing. Futures include winners of the NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships, the 2019 Super Bowl, the 2019 NCAA Football Championship, the 2019 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, the 2019 Stanley Cup and the 2019 NBA Championship.
Cappuccino, Pizza and Chicken Soup
- Thursday is Cappuccino Day and the weather is finally getting cool enough to enjoy one of these frothy and whipped coffee drinks in Job’s Perk!
- Monday is Pizza With The Works Except Anchovies Day. This special observance came into existence to protect people who foolishly and naively choose to order their pizza with "the works," never thinking for a moment that there’s a madman out there perfectly willing and capable of putting anchovies on a poor innocent pizza. If you read our blog regularly, you know where we’re heading: toward the pizzas churned out daily in the specially made brick pizza oven at our sister property, Bodines Casino. We asked Bodines manager Tom Forrest how they prevented people from accidentally getting anchovies when ordering a pizza with “the works.” He laughed and simply stated, “can’t happen here, we don’t even have anchovies on the property!”
- Monday is Chicken Soup for the Soul Day. Ideally we’d be doing a segue into a chicken soup special in Katie’s . . . But sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way so try this one: on Monday we’ll be serving Chicken Tortilla Soup for the Body in Katie's!
This Week in the Casino
- a Free CVI Apron for the first 150 ladies and Pampered Chef Baskets as hot seat prizes.
- $75,000 Holiday Giveaways Promotion Friday and Saturday: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM both nights for drawings for cash and FreePlay!
- Point Multipliers Saturday: 4X Points on Reel Slots and Video Poker Slots all day every Saturday in November. Use your rapidly accumulating points for FreePlay, dining, Katie’s Bakery products, hotel stays and more!
- Your Rewards Monday: INN Club members can swipe at the casino kiosk once on Monday for Your Reward. Could be FreePlay, a Free Food offer, a Free Multiplier or a Free Gift!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday it’s Veal Scaloppini with lemon and capers for $29. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Patrick Major tonight, Reckless Envy Thursday - Saturday, NFL Football Sunday and Monday nights and Hans Eberbach next Tuesday and Wednesday. Patrick Major’s style includes his own mix of original guitar and vocals combined with rock classics from the last four decades. Whether playing tunes from James Taylor to Dave Matthews, or his own compositions, he displays an unequaled emotion with all. The versatility of Reckless Envy might just bring a heartfelt ballad such as Chris Stapleton’s version of “Tennessee Whiskey,” an authentic version of “Barracuda” by Heart, an entertaining rendition of Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” a guitar driven ZZ Top classic such as “Tush” or a dance song like Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines.” Vocalist and songwriter Hans Eberbach sings for the band Joy & Madness, an evolution of vintage soul sound with modern classic pop sensibilities. He also fronts his own band HANS! and the HOT MESS a band that represents his original singer/songwriter/electronic soul work.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by
calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!