Tanya Tucker Tickets Are On Sale Now: Before all of today's country superstars, Tanya Tucker blazed an eclectic new trail for female country artists when "Delta Dawn" became a Top 10 country hit in 1972. A year later at 14, Tanya topped the Billboard country chart with her first of many #1 hits "What's Your Mama's Name." At 15 she was on the cover of Rolling Stone with the prophetic headline, "Hi, I'm Tanya Tucker, I'm 15, You're Gonna Hear From Me." Tucker's path through the country world is highlighted in this interview from Rolling Stone published late last year after the unveiling of the Tanya Tucker Exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville on November 13, 2014.
Tickets are also on sale for these upcoming TJ's Corral concerts:
Tickets are also on sale for these upcoming TJ's Corral concerts:
- Gary Allan June 4: Just two weeks until Gary Allan takes the stage in TJ's Corral. Catch up on some of Gary's music videos (including him telling the background on some of the songs he's written) and fan club comments on hiswebsite.
- The Davisson Brothers Band and Loving Mary Band June 12: Plan to kickoff Carson Valley Days weekend with these two upcoming country acts and be able to say you remember when they played in the Carson Valley!
- Rodney Atkins June 27: The Academy of Country Music's Top New Male Vocalist of 2006, Rodney's 2006 album If You're Going Through Hell produced four #1 country hits!
Feed Me Seymor: Our annual Food Truck Festival is this Saturday from noon to 8 p.m. in the back parking lot and TJ's Corral. What better way to put it than pirating a few phrases from Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Bill Chernock as he described the event in one of his updates to the Chamber membership last week: May 23rd is the date, and like the swallows to Capistrano and the buzzards to Hinckley, Ohio, the 23rd is the date that the food trucks shall return to the Carson Valley Inn. A flock of the four wheeled eateries will gather next to TJ's Corral, accompanied by additional beverage service and free music from the 'Blues Monsters' . . . even stuff for the kids to do. Just a reminder, white shirts show stains.
Mike Tice Charity Golf Tournament! If you've spent much time around the Carson Valley Inn, or read our blog or know anything about the local Boys and Girls Club, you certainly know about the Mike Tice Annual Golf Tournament. There is golf, merriment, and a couple of nights of serious fundraising that have produced over a quarter of a million dollars for the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch over the last four years. What started out as just Coach Tice and his friends has slowly welcomed in others who are willing and able to help in this incredible fundraising event. This year promises to take on even more "lair" as Mike was head coach Jack del Rio's first addition to the Oakland Raiders staff for 2015 as Offensive Line Coach. There are two ways you can jump on board for this year's long weekend of frivolity and fundraising: Tickets are available for the Crawfish Feed in TJ's Corral on Saturday evening, June 20. Just $40.00 includes beer, Crawfish and accompaniments, music by “Decades” and the always entertaining and sometimes colorful comments by "Coach." For tickets, contact Jeri Johnson at 775-771-6432 or 775-783-7037. For those willing to pony up a little more for the B & G Club, there are still a few spots available in the golf tournament on Sunday, June 21 at the Golf Club at Genoa Lakes. Click Here for Sponsorship Information. Proceeds stay right here in our community and benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch!
Wear Your PJs to Sharkey's on Thursday! This is not one of those trick headlines to get you to read something that is only mildly related (not that we wouldn't do that!). We really do expect to see people wearing pajamas in Sharkey's Casino Thursday afternoon as they participate in the first 2015 Thirsty Third Thursday Wine Walk sponsored and produced by our friends at Main Street Gardnerville. Be sure to register starting at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at either Big Daddy's Bicycle Shop near the Minden-Gardnerville line or at the Town of Gardnerville office across the street and two blocks south of Sharkey's. The two in the picture? That's Shannon Crabtree & Paula Lochridge in the "old" Sharkey's 2+ years ago
The Seafood Linguini in CV Steak received "Top Four" support in the nomination round of Pasta Wars, another of the Food Wars polls by carsonvalleytimes.com. The final round of voting starts Monday morning, May 25 and continues through Friday, May 29. For those who haven't had this popular CV Steak entrée, let us tell you about it: Our chef starts a fresh sauté for each order by browning lobster, shrimp and scallops. He completes the sauté by mixing in a lemon butter cream sauce with fresh dill, diced tomatoes and capers – and serves it over freshly cooked linguini pasta. By the time this entrée arrives hot at your table, you will have already enjoyed a basket of freshly baked and still warm sourdough bread and our house salad which some consider a meal in itself: we start with mixed greens (romaine and iceberg) and add artichoke hearts, croutons, Parmesan cheese and grape tomatoes. Each salad is tossed tableside with our special house dressing which is best described as a creamy Italian herb dressing (shown "on the side" in the photo - always an option). Want to vote for this tasty and filling dinner? Click here after the polls open on Monday morning, May 25th
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Douglas County Is Healthiest in Nevada: At least that's what we read on the internet earlier this week. Seems 24/7 Wall St. developed the list of the Healthiest County in Each of the 50 States. While we are not surprised that Douglas County won for Nevada, we sure don't understand why, with all of the beauty and spectacular scenery around here, "they" had to use a picture of Las Vegas! A more representative shot could have been the picture above that Bonnie Klein posted on the Douglas County Exposures, a local Public Group on Facebook.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the third set of two May spa products. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Patriotic Themed Chocolate Shoppe Gift Baskets, ladies-only drink specials and more.
- Elk Medallions Friday in
CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this
week is Grilled Elk Medallions with a Brandy Cherry Demi - two
3 oz. elk tenderloin medallions grilled and finished with demi and sundried
cherries; served with fresh vegetable, choice of potato (au gratin,
baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked) and tableside tossed salad all for
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Jonathan "JB" Barton is here tonight, Nancy Barker, Curt Lee & Friends entertain Thursday, Stew Stewart covers Friday and Saturday nights, The Blues Monsters make a one-night appearance on Sunday and George Pickard takes the stage Monday through Wednesday nights. You can also watch and bet the NBA Playoff games, NHL Stanley Cup games, Major League Baseball games, NASCAR, Indianapolis 500 and horseracing.
- Because We Want To Make Sure You Know:
- Today is Be a Millionaire Day and the theory is that you are to use visualization techniques to see yourself surrounded by luxury, free of monetary concerns, and living your life on your terms. We have a less-mentally-challenging suggestion: Megabucks - Why be a millionaire when you can be a ten millionaire!
- Saturday is Turtle Day – a perfect opportunity to corner our entertainment manager, Stew Stewart, and ask him how he got "The Turtle" moniker stuck in the middle of his name. Happened shortly after he got involved with our owner Mike Pegram in 2010 and we can't seem to get anyone to tell us the straight story. Oh, and be sure to wish Stew Happy Turtle Day!
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!