Whether it's a booze-soaked ballad or a driving southern anthem, three "things" seem to be true about country lyrics and music: the message comes from the heart, you will be able to understand the words, and there are an unusually high number of references to pickup trucks! Just check out this Top Ten Country Songs About Pickup Trucks from 2011 - one of a bunch of such lists. Anyway, we "get it" so we (CVI, Bodines Casino and Sharkey's Casino) are giving away two Ford F-150 Pickup Trucks on the second weekend of July - plus a guaranteed $25,000 in cash and Freeplay during the same promotion that kicks off on June 1. Look for an F-150 on display at each location thanks to our friends at Dick Campagni's Capital Ford in Carson City.
About the Country Songs: We're not sure how many songs from these artists cover the pickup truck subject, but these four concerts are all coming to TJ's Corral during our Ford F-150 Pickups and $25,000 Giveaway Promotion and tickets are on sale now!
- Gary Allan on Thursday June 4: Gary will launch the Chevrolet Riverfront Stage performances at the 2015 CMA Music Festival on Thursday, June 11 just a week after his June 4 concert in TJ's Corral. Big time in Nashville, big time in Minden. Don't miss out . . . get your tickets now before we sell out.
- The Davisson Brothers Band and Loving Mary Band on Friday, June 12: The song lyrics and sound of Brothers Donnie and Chris Davisson, cousin Sammy Davisson, and life-long best friend Aaron Regester tell powerful stories of their family history and lifestyle in West Virginia. The Loving Mary Band will jet to Minden after a performance the day before on the Chevrolet Roadhouse Stage at the CMA Music Festival.
- Rodney Atkins on Saturday, June 27: We like Rodney's comments about his approach to writing love songs, "Love is not all blue skies and no bills …it's gutters leaking and the cat messed in the fireplace. It's not convenient at all, and you've got to make time for it - that's the toughest part of it."
- Tanya Tucker on Friday, July 3: Did you know . . . Tanya was the first female country artist to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, she performed at halftime of the 1994 Super Bowl and appeared on an episode of the popular TV series The Love Boat in 1981.
Wings of Freedom Tour as it brings World War II history and nostalgia to Minden-Tahoe Airport next week. This is a rare opportunity to visit, explore (inside and out), and learn more about four unique treasures of aviation history: The B-17 is one of only 8 in flying condition in the United States, the B-24J and Full Dual Control P-51C Mustang are the sole remaining examples of their type flying in the World. The B-25 is best known for flying the Doolittle raids. Visitors may also experience the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to actually take a 30-minute flight aboard these rare aircraft. For reservations and information on flight experiences call 800-568-8924. Meanwhile click here for times, costs and other details.The Carson Valley Inn is honored and privileged to host the pilots and crew for the Collings Foundation’s
What Are Your Memories of Sharkey?
We've been overwhelmed by the number of people who, upon visiting Sharkey's Casino in the first month, have told us about memories they have of Sharkey, Cow Pasture Boxing, Serbian Christmas or some of the characters and stars who made Sharkey's a stop while in town. You've also told us we did a pretty darn good job of preserving the spirit of Sharkey in the physical building and accompaniments. Now we want to complete the task and start building the emotional, colorful, and historic memories that chronicle the "story" of Sharkey's since it opened in the early 70s. We'll start this process on Friday, June 5 when we invite anyone with a "Sharkey's Story" to stop by so we can get it on video. Could be a short one-liner, could be a three or four minute story. We'll get them all together, start building the memory bank, and use these videos to preserve the history of this important Gardnerville landmark just as we have preserved the building. So, please join us on Friday, June 5 either between 2 and 4 PM or between 5 and 7 PM. We'll buy you a cup of coffee or a drink, make you comfortable, and look forward to you sharing a few memories with us. Can't make it on June 5? Send us an email to SharkeysCasino@gmail.com and we'll get in touch to make other arrangements.
Mike Tice Charity Golf Tournament Update! We mentioned this event in detail in last week's blog and "poof," Coach Tice showed up this past week for a final planning meeting with the CVI's Greg Enholm and Lori Gorris and Susie Messina from the Boys & Girls Club of Western Nevada. As a quick reminder because time is running out to get in on this event: Tickets are available for the Crawfish Feed in TJ's Corral on Saturday evening, June 20. Just $40.00 includes beer, the Crawfish and accompaniments, and music by “Decades.” For tickets, contact Jeri Johnson at 775-771-6432 or 775-783-7037. There are still a very few spots available in the golf tournament on Sunday, June 21 at the Golf Club at Genoa Lakes. Click Here for Sponsorship Information. Proceeds stay right here in our community and benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch!
Motorcycles and Riders Decked Out in Pink? It's true - there will be hundreds of them and some of the sights will be most interesting and unusual when the Pinocchio's Ride for the Tatas 6th Annual Motorcycle Poker Run makes a stop at the Carson Valley Inn this Sunday. All proceeds benefit Moms on the Run, a local charity helping women battling breast and gynecological cancers.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the last set of two May spa products. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Tahoe Toffee Baskets, ladies-only drink specials and more.
- Roasted Stuffed Quail in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Roasted Stuffed Quail with prosciutto, wild rice and plum port glaze . . . Served with tableside-tossed salad and vegetable for $28.00. As a reminder, Sundays in CV Steak we feature one pound of King Crab Legs for $32 and that also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: George Pickard is here tonight, The California Cowboys entertain Thursday - Saturday and Greg Austin takes the stage Sunday through Wednesday nights. You can also watch and bet the NBA Playoff games, NHL Stanley Cup games, Major League Baseball games, NASCAR and horseracing.
- Because We Want To Make Sure You Know:
- Today is Senior Health and Fitness Day. We have been asked not to bring this up so we won't.
- Thursday is Hamburger Day and we have some recommendations in order from traditional to more adventurous: The Bodines Restaurant Double Cheese Burger with beer-battered French fries is our north sister property's biggest seller. The Cheese Burger is also Katie's biggest seller, but we suggest stepping it up a notch with the Smoke House Burger (double bacon, cheddar cheese and hickory BBQ sauce). Next up the gastrointestinal delight ladder are two from Sharkey's Jackpot Café: The Drunken Burger (includes one well shot or domestic draft beer) and the Volcano Burger (stuffed with ghost pepper cheese and chorizo, topped with more ghost pepper cheese and spicy secret sauce). And for a most-un-traditional and "bet-you-can't-eat-the-whole-thing" experience, go for the Gourmet Hamburger (aka The French Disaster) in CV Steak.
- Monday is Leave the Office Early Day. Assuming this is acceptable in your environment and doesn't result in an "Oh yeah? Well then you might as well just take the rest of the week off without pay" response, why not leave an hour or two early and make plans to enjoy the Sunset Special (sometimes referred to as Early Bird) in CV Steak! Click here for the menu and be sure to arrive at CV Steak between 4:30 and 5:30 PM to take advantage of this Sunday thru Thursday special offering.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!