The Record Courier’s 2019 Best of Carson Valley
The Record Courier’s 2019 Best of Carson Valley Awards Luncheon is this Friday in our Valley Ballroom and we received special permission from The Record Courier to announce a few of our awards a day early (thanks, Tara!): The Carson Valley Inn was voted #1 Best Casino and #1 Best Lodging . . . and CV Steak topped three categories: #1 Best Dinner, #1 Best Place to Take a Date and #1 Best Steak! We appreciate these votes of confidence and encourage you to check all of the winners coming out in this Thursday’s issue of The Record Courier!
Candy Dance This Weekend
This weekend the Town of Genoa will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Candy Dance, originally conceived in 1919 by Lillian Virgin Finnegan. Attendees can experience the picturesque setting of Genoa from 9 AM to 5 PM Saturday and Sunday while enjoying over 350 arts, crafts and food vendors from around the country. This recent story in Edible Reno-Tahoe gives the background. All the details on parking, Genoa road closures and other logistics are at this link! We suggest you read carefully if you are planning to attend the event or head to one of the Genoa Lakes golf courses this weekend.
- Mike P’s Horses: those of you who have been around the CVI the last few years know that our owner Mike Pegram is “into” race horses (OK, so “into” is an understatement). Was a good week last week with both 2-year old filly Quality Response and 3-year old colt Speed Pass winning at Los Alamitos. This weekend, Mike’s 4-year old colt McKinzie is listed as a probable starter in the Awesome Again Stakes at Santa Anita. And remember our standard caveat: with horse racing, changes can and will occur so we’ll all know for sure at Post Time!
- Sports Book Mike’s Musings:
- The favorites only went 6 -10 against the spread this week and six underdogs won their games. The Dolphins almost covered and almost had a lead in their game with the Cowboys (only down 10-6 at halftime).
- As a Michigan fan, I get to look forward to more suggestions about Coach Harbaugh. I'm a fan of his, so it will take a scandal to turn me. He's kind of wacky, but seems like a decent guy. He is certainly a "Michigan Man."
- After the Niners won at home last Sunday despite five turnovers we got wondering what the most turnovers a home team has had and still managed to win. Turns out it’s seven in the Super Bowl era . . . if you believe what you find on the internet!
- Speaking of the Niners and turnovers at home, they had 6 (3 interceptions and 3 fumbles lost) in a home game at Candlestick Park on January 10, 1982. They also won that game when Dwight Clark made The Catch to win the 1981 NFC Championship Game against the Dallas Cowboys! The final score was 28 – 27, the over/under was 42 and Dallas was favored by 3 points!
- Our Pro Pick’em Progressive Jackpot is at $2,917 this week. Pick all 15 NFL winners on our weekly $5 Parlay Card and it’s yours. Each week it is not “hit,” the jackpot climbs based on the collective contest play at the CVI, Sharkey’s Casino, Bodines Casino and SlotWorld Casino.
- Football Extras:
- $2 Coors Light draft at the Casino Bar or in the Cabaret Lounge during all televised NFL and College Games.
- A couple of Free NFL Hats given away for each of the teams playing every Monday Night Football Game.
- Bar Snacks Delivered to Your Seat while you watch or play. Get the full menu and pricing at this link!
- Poker Room Squares Pool: Earn squares as you play in live poker games during the week. Each week we kick in $160 and the payout is on the Monday Night Football Game – $40 to the winners of the first three quarters and the final score. Any unclaimed quarters roll to the next week and for the September 30 Bengals/Steelers game it’s up to $115 a quarter!!
- Seasonal Action on the board includes NFL and NCAA Football, Major League Baseball, Canadian Football, WNBA Basketball Playoffs, Horse Racing and this Sunday’s NASCAR Monster Energy Series Roval 400. What? Roval? Yep – kind of a hybrid course that is partially road racing and partially oval course acing. Still scratching your head? So were we so we found this posting from a year ago that explains it!
- Futures Bets on the board include: 2019 NASCAR Monster Energy Cup, 2019 World Series, 2020 NCAA Football Championship, 2020 Super Bowl, 2020 NCAA College Basketball, 2020 NBA Championship and 2020 Stanley Cup.
Tourism Day is More Than Just One Day
Friday is Tourism Day. If you are reading this as a visitor to Carson Valley, we invite you to visit us in the land of everyday legends! As the folks at Visit Carson Valley like to say, Don’t just drive through it, drive to it! Click to read their brief article on 5 Reasons to Get Out of Your Car in Carson Valley this October . . . and of course we encourage you to stay for a night or two at the Carson Valley Inn! If you are a “local,” remember we are all tourists at some point – either venturing out of our area for new sights and experiences . . . or discovering an attraction in our own backyard that previously eluded us.
|We'll Do All the Cooking AND Clean Up the Mess!|
A Few More Special Days This Week
- Today is Cooking Day. We stand opposed – here’s why: If you click on the link the cleverly worded description of this manufactured day includes, “Start with getting in your kitchen and finding out what tools you have available, and start figuring out what you can prepare.” We say balderdash . . . sounds like way too much work! The CVI approach: Come into Katie’s or CV Steak, we’ll do all the figuring out and work, you just enjoy a good meal!
- Saturday is Drink Beer Day. We thought we were being pretty clever when we went around and asked a few admitted beer drinkers how they were going to celebrate what we were sure would be a special day to them. The answer, while worded slightly differently in each case, was fairly universal, “We don’t need a special day, every day is beer day!” So, it is with pleasure that we offer a wide variety of beer – either bottled or on tap – every day at CVI!
- Monday is Thunderbirds Day which marks the date when the original Thunderbirds made its debut on British TV. We’re not into any of that, but we are into the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and look forward to their return to the Aviation Roundup at Minden-Tahoe Airport just over a year from now on October 3 & 4, 2020!
This Week’s Promotions Lineup
- Ladies’ Night Wednesdays: The fun runs from 5:30 to 8:30PM including a Free Bamboo Phone Stand for the first 150 ladies (over 100 include FreePlay), Tupperware Baskets as hot seat prizes. The ladies will also enjoy 3 free Bingo Games, 4 free Raffles and a weekly Drink Special. Bonus tonight - It's Couples Night with extra prizes for the plus-one crowd!
- Free Bingo Thursdays: Free Bingo Games in the casino every hour from 11 AM to 7 PM. Just be gaming with your INN Club card when we hand out tickets and play bingo with us for free cash and FreePlay Prizes.
- Point Multiplier Fridays: Watch your benefits roll up quickly with Four Times Points all day every Friday in September.
- Harleys and 7.5 Million Points Friday and Saturday: We’re giving away 3 Harleys this fall – one each at CVI, Bodines Casino and SlotWorld Casino. In the process, we are also giving away a total of 7.5 Million Points at our four properties in weekend drawings. Over 150,000 Free Points are given away each Friday and Saturday night at the CVI based on your order of finish including 50,000 Free Points to the first place finisher! Drawings run from 7 to 8:30 PM.
- Point Party Sunday: You’ll be earning anywhere from 2X to 10X Points from noon to 7PM with the point multiplier changing every half hour. We guarantee the 10X Points will run for 30 minutes at least twice every Sunday.
This Week in Our Restaurants
- Wednesday: Lasagna is served for just $6.99 from 11 AM to 10 PM.
- Thursday: Brats & Cabbage with garlic mashed potatoes for $7.99.
- Friday: Lunch Special is a Pulled Pork Sandwich served on a sesame bun with coleslaw & French fries for $6.99 from 11 AM to 3 PM.
- Friday and Saturday for dinner: Roasted Prime Rib and Fried Shrimp Dinner served with baked potato, vegetable and soup or salad from 4 to 10 PM for $14.99.
- Saturday & Sunday for Brunch from 7 AM to 2 PM: Brunch Skillet - combination of home fried potatoes tossed with peppers, onions, bacon & sausage, scrambled eggs & tomato, topped with melted cheese all for $7.99.
- Sunday Dinner: "The Chandler" Chicken Dinner is served from 2 to 10 PM for just $7.99: southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes and cole slaw.
- Monday: Loaded Mac & Cheese; BBQ pulled pork, mac & cheese paired with tomato & scallions for $6.99 from 11 AM to 10 PM..
- Tuesday: Enchilada Suizas; two flour tortillas filled with chicken, chilies & cheese topped with green tomatillo sauce & jack cheese with Spanish rice & beans for $6.99 from 11 AM to 10 PM.
CV Steak Specials: Wednesday’s special is Beef Tenderloin Brochette with bell pepper, onions, cherry tomato and a spicy sweet and sour sauce. Thursday is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and herb marinated Lamb Chop Steak. This Friday’s special is Veal Scaloppini with lemon and Capers. On Saturday night CV Steak features Garlic Studded Prime Rib. This Sunday’s special is “Oscar Style” Fillet of Salmon with crab and Béarnaise sauce. CV Steak specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm sourdough baguette.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
- Roem Baur Duo tonight: Roem is a multiple award-winning touring songwriter and classically trained opera singer. He ultimately answered the call of rock n’ roll and has been featured on the main stage at Super Bowl 50, NBC’s The Voice and at CES & SXSW conferences.
- Reckless Envy Thursday thru Saturday: The versatility of Reckless Envy might just bring a heartfelt ballad such as Chris Stapleton’s version of “Tennessee Whiskey,” an authentic version of “Barracuda” by Heart, an entertaining rendition of Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” a guitar driven ZZ Top classic such as “Tush” or a dance song like Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines.” The group includes Billy James Lassi (founder of the Midnight Riders) on lead vocals and acoustic guitar; accomplished violinist Virginia Bowman (Tahoe Symphony, Reno Philharmonic and Lubbock Symphony Orchestras) on fiddle, keyboard, lead and harmony vocals; and Keith Lindsey on lead guitar and vocals.
- NFL Football Sunday and Monday Nights: We suspend live entertainment on Sunday and Monday nights during the fall so the featured night NFL games can be enjoyed on the big screen.
- Kid and Lisa Tuesday and Wednesday: Kid & Lisa are a musical power
couple that spans a wide range of popular genres, from soul to blues to pop to
standards and beyond. Kid is known as the guitarist for world-renowned Blues
band Rick Estrin & The Nightcats and has worked with Elvin Bishop, The Fabulous
Thunderbirds, Charlie Musselwhite and Keith Richards to name a few. Lisa
Leuschner Andersen hit the big time in 2004 as a finalist on American Idol and
is a high-demand freelance vocalist in the Bay Area.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!