|Image Courtesy of Merry Muller|
Eagles & Agriculture
The annual Eagles & Agriculture weekend is coming up January 24 – 27 and the Falconers’ Dinner in our Valley Ballroom (Friday January 25) has become one of the event’s most popular offerings. This year, the ag speaker will be Jeff Hunewill of the famous Hunewill Ranch in Mono County. Jeff will talk about how they combine a huge working cattle ranch with a vibrant and popular program that allows visitors to join them for several days and experience ranch life from the saddle. The falconers scheduled to appear are Kathleen Tigan, who will bring along ‘Louise’, the Eurasian Eagle Owl; first time participant Kalen Pearson, who is bringing a mature female Golden Eagle; local falconers Ryan Moglich with his White Gyrfalcon and of course, Eagles & Ag regular Lew Sauder with a Goshawk. They will share their knowledge and anecdotes about what it’s like to be the caretaker and partner of their birds. A four-course dinner is part of the evening and tickets are just $45 each. For information on all of the Eagles & Agriculture tours, seminars and events, click here.
|Image Courtesy of Zephyr Cove Snowmobiling|
Snowmobiling for CVI Guests
Snowmobiling season is in full swing after last weekend’s snowfall and since we often receive inquiries from hotel guests and locals, here’s what we know: there are two snowmobiling operations in our area and each offers a different mountain adventure. Lake Tahoe Adventures specializes in basic through advanced backcountry snowmobiling tours in Hope Valley off Highway 88. While they operate out of Myers in South Lake Tahoe, they will meet your group in Hope Valley with the necessary clothing & gear rentals. Zephyr Cove Snowmobiling offers a variety of ridgeline tours reaching 9,000 feet above sea level and offering breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe and peek-a-boo views of Carson Valley. Their base operation at Zephyr Cove Resort has a full selection of clothing & gear rentals and their tours include bus transportation to the starting points. Whichever you choose, you’ll definitely enjoy a most memorable experience! Check out both operations by clicking on their website links above and be sure to make your reservations in advance.
Elvis Week Wraps Up Tomorrow
Our Elvis Week activities, giveaways and specials wrap up Thursday with Elvis Hot Seat drawings from noon to 6 PM for all playing in the casino using your Inn Club Card. You'll also see Elvis Impersonators in the casino between 5 and 8 PM. Today and Thursday you can catch these Elvis Food Favorites in Katie’s: Peanut Butter, Banana and Bacon French Toast for $6.99 in the morning and Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon with vegetables, rice and choice of soup or salad for $13.99 in the afternoon-evening.
Sporting Clays Event Filling Fast
We hadn’t anticipated this, but we’re giving a “last call” for our Winter Sporting Clays event coming up in February. The response so far has exceeded our expectations and we anticipate reaching the sellout stage within the next couple of weeks. The event starts on Thursday evening, February 21 with a reception and introductions for the new folks and lots of storytelling from the long-timers. Sporting clays takes place at Walker River resort on Friday and the Carson Valley Clays Club on Saturday. The weekend package also includes lunch both days and a Saturday banquet with lots of prizes. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, please don’t miss out – get the details at this link.
This Week in the Casino
- join us tonight from 5:30 to 8:30 PM with a Special Gift for the first 150 ladies. Also tonight, Chocolate Shoppe Gift Baskets as hot seat prizes, games, raffles, a weekly drink special and free bingo for ladies playing in the casino.
- 4X Points Daytime Wednesdays: 4X Points from 4 AM to 4 PM so be sure to use your INN Club card and pad your points benefits rapidly!
- Elvis Hot Seats Thursday: See details in the Elvis Week article above.
- Cash & Trips Giveaways Promotion Friday & Saturday: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM for drawings for Cash, FreePlay and Trips!
- Point Multipliers Saturday: 4X Points on Reel Slots and Video Poker Slots all day every Saturday in January. Watch your points accrue at quadruple the normal rate!
- Your Rewards Monday: INN Club members, swipe at the casino kiosk Mondays in January for a free reward each week. Check at Guest Services for complete details on the Your Rewards Mondays.
- And at the Sports Book:
- Progressive Pro PK'EM: The pot climbed to $4,528 after Wild Card weekend. It’s yours if you catch all 15 of this week’s winners and props (ties split)!
- On the Cabaret and Casino Screens: Plenty action with the NFL Playoffs ($2 domestic draft beer during the games), NBA and NCAA Basketball, NHL Hockey and Horseracing. Action on all of these events taken at the Sports & Race Book.
- Looking Ahead: Futures include winners of the NFL Conference Championships, the 2019 Super Bowl, the 2019 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, the 2019 Stanley Cup, the 2019 NBA Championship, the 2019 World Series and the 2019 NASCAR Monster Energy Cup!
This Week in Our Restaurants
- Katie’s: Wednesday is Italian Day with three specials served from 11 AM to 10 PM: Fettuccine Pesto Alfredo for $5.99, Pork Marsala for $6.99 and Chicken Chasseur for $6.99. The Thursday special is a Turkey Plate for $6.99. Fridays and Saturdays, Katie's offers a Roasted Prime Rib and Fried Shrimp Dinner special served with baked potato, vegetable and soup or salad for $14.99 and Katie’s Sunday special is "The Chandler" Chicken Dinner including southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes and cole slaw for $5.99 from 2 to 10PM.
- CV Steak: Thursday’s special is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop Steak.for $26. This Friday it’s Grilled Venison Chops with Cherry Brandy Demi for $32. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
Interesting string of comments posted about Katie’s on Facebook over the last week or so. Falls under that category we bring up every once in a while, “We can’t write it this well ourselves!”
- Best overall restaurant in Minden/Gardnerville. - Dennis R.
- Don’t have to drive to get to Katie’s. Just a walk away. Loved it - Cozy atmosphere - Late-night dining - Great food - Casual - Fine dining - Child-friendly - Scenic views - Comfort food - Large portions. - Ovido A.
- Great food and service, large portions, inside casino. - Sonja B.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Jamie Rollins tonight, Revival Thursday thru Saturday, and Tyler Stafford next Tuesday and Wednesday. An upbeat and experienced entertainer, Jamie Rollins performs a variety of music from country to rock, to classic oldies and R&B – plus a few his own songs. Revival recreates the music of the '60s, '70s, and '80s, with a stunning accuracy and precision that's rarely found in today's live music scene. They will take you from the British invasion, through the muddy fields of Woodstock, to the diverse songs of the 80's like no one else can. Named “Reno’s Best Songwriter 2013” Tyler Stafford is a homegrown talent. His songs often draw comparisons to songwriters such as John Mayer and Paul Simon delivered with a candor and immediacy reminiscent of John Lennon.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!