In this week's blog: Chili Cook-off and Craft Fair this weekend, what would you do with a free 4-wheeler?, two Kentucky Derby entries with two different owners from Douglas County.
ATV/OHV Tours & Trails on their web site!
Carson Valley Sertoma Chili Cook-off and Craft Fair This Weekend:
The Carson Valley Sertoma Chili Cook-off and Craft Fair takes two big steps forward this Saturday and Sunday with the return of the International Chili Society (ICS) chili cook-off competition and the expansion from our west parking lot to TJ's Corral Outdoor Event's Center and the adjacent parking area.
- Hours are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day with live entertainment by "Carl & the Classics" from noon to 5:00 pm each day. Admission is free.
- Over two dozen cooks will be competing for cash prizes and to qualify for the ICS World Championship. Each red chili cook will provide People's Choice Chili for tasting from 10am to 4pm. each day and Sertoma will sell tasting kits at $1.00 for 2 tastes or $5.00 for 10. Great way to warm up on a cool spring day! Green chili and salsa makers will also be on hand.
- The traditional Shoot & Holler contest (eat a jalapeno, shoot a shot of tequila and holler as loud as you can) will be held for adults and there will be games and contests for both adults and children.
- Approximately 70 crafter booths will feature handcrafted items, jewelry, clothes, purses, wood crafted items, yard décor and bird houses, sunglasses, pet items, jams & jellies, spices, olives, jerky, salsa and much more.
- Sertoma will be raising funds through their traditional Wheelbarrow of Booze raffle and by selling chili & chili-dogs, burgers, beer, wine, soft drinks and bottled water. Sertoma supports local projects such as hearing aids, Backpack Buddies, the Senior Center, Carson Valley Community Food Closet, DAWG and scholarships for local students.
Mike's Horses – and Steve and Carolyn's Horse, Also:
- Midnight Hawk finished 2nd by a nose in last Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby.
- Hoppertunity has already shipped to Churchill Downs and is still scheduled to run in the Kentucky Derby on May 3.
- To make the Derby even more of a "local interest" event this year: Steve and Carolyn Coburn, frequent guests at the Carson Valley Inn and south Douglas County residents, also have a horse running in the Kentucky Derby – the early favorite California Chrome.
- We started calculating the odds of having two Kentucky Derby entries from two different owners in the same basically rural community in Nevada and . . . well, after applying every calculation and analysis in our tool box, this year the odds appear to be 100% if both horses stay fit and ready!
- No new concerts to report this week, but we get a page up on our web site for the B. J. Thomas Concert on Thursday, July 10 . . . and all the concerts are now included on this concerts page.
- The Michael Martin Murphy Concert is coming up next week on Thursday, May 1. BMI has confirmed that his song Wildfire is one of the most played songs in the history of radio. Take a moment to watch and listen to the lyrics of Wildfire as performed by Michael on the David Letterman Show . . . and then get your tickets and come on out and watch "Murph" and his Band in Concert next week live in TJ's Corral at the CVI!!
- Facebook fans, here's a link to a post on our page - you can like, comment or share to get in on a drawing for two free Michael Martin Murphey Concert tickets!
In the Casino this Week:
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: George Pickard performs tonight, Stew Stewart appears Thursday through Saturday and Dale Poune takes the stage Sunday through next Wednesday. Known for his witty audience interaction and quips, Stew can always be humbled if you ask him about his dog who rules his life! Here is a link to the schedule for the next couple of months.
- Casino Promotions:
- 3X points from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ladies Night 6 to 9 p.m. First 150 ladies get Simply Tasteful Recipe Booklets and a Chi Tea Packet; Hot Seat winners get Simply Tasteful gift bags.
- Thursday: $3 Craps starting at 5 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: Four-Wheeler Promotion Giveaways at 5, 7 & 9 p.m.
- Monday: Free 6-Pack of Pepsi or Diet Pepsi when earning 25 points (limit one).
As always, some Interesting Information:
- We are half way through the re-carpeting of all of the rooms in the Motor Lodge – another of the seemingly endless and ongoing projects to freshen up every inch of the Carson Valley Inn.
- A few of us got a peak at some upcoming promotions (more next week) and we'll be giving away $75,000 in cash between the CVI and Bodines Casino during May and June. We'll also be involved as the host hotel for the pilots and crew coming into town for the Collings Foundation's Wings of Freedom Tour on June 2 – 4 (hint – a chance to buy a ride in a B-17, B-52 or P-51).
- Sous Chef Patrick Pierce's Game-On Fridays special in CV Steak this Friday is Grilled Thresher Shark with Shrimp and Roasted Corn Salsa for $26.00 As with all CV Steak entrees, the Game-On Friday special also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato.
Lots More Coming Up: We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday!
Have questions or comments? Post a comment below, shoot us an email using info @ carsonvalleyinn dot com or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator. He or she will get you to the correct person or department!