Congratulations to local residents Steve and Carolyn Coburn and their partner Perry Martin on California Chrome winning the Eclipse Award for 2014 Horse of the Year and also being voted 3-year-old champion. "Chrome" won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness and is the first Kentucky Derby winner to be voted Horse of the Year since Charismatic in 1999. Be sure to congratulate Steve next time you see him here at the CVI!! Speaking of horses, Mike Pegram's filly Global Hottie won the second race at Santa Anita on Sunday under jockey Victor Espinoza.
Cousin Vinny from New York: Seems like almost everyone has a cousin Vinny from New York. Perhaps his or her name isn't Vinny, but it's similar. And maybe he or she lives in "Jersey" instead of New York. You get the picture. This just may be the summer that you finally convince this east coast cousin to visit. And if he/she does, you'll definitely want the entourage to stay here at the Carson Valley Inn rather than at your home . . . ya know what I mean!!? Why this year? Because Jet Blue is starting nonstop service between Reno and New York in May. This plus some of the other new service recently added by the Reno-Tahoe International Airport could be a big help in getting our far-flung relatives and friends to finally come for a visit. RNO's webpage has an interactive map that allows you to see all the routes between the various cities around the country and Reno. Hey, check it out (imagine east coast accent)!
Tailgating, Drinking a Beer, Using Your Cell Phone, Loud Music . . . sound like a list of "don'ts" while driving? Well, it is - but all of these are allowed and encouraged in TJ's Corral on Saturday, January 31 from 1 to 4 p.m. at our Super Weekend Tailgate Party! We'll have cheeseburgers, hamburgers and chili bowls for sale plus beer plus soda, waters and hot chocolate, too. You can crank it up with FREE live music by The Blues Monsters and use your cell phone all you want and take selfies with former NFL players to post online. We'll also be passing out drawing tickets for merchandise prizes and the chance to win up to $2,500 post-party in the casino!
- BLM Thursday Night: Reminder that the Bureau of Land Management is holding a meeting in our Valley Ballroom Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. to solicit comments for their Carson City District Draft Resource Management Plan (RMP) and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). Click here for more information and stop by to hear hundreds of government acronyms!
- Savor the Flavor Saturday: A few more tickets are available for this fun evening of wine, micro brews and food . . . call Jeri at 775-771-6432.
- Ski the Weekend After Super Bowl: Our special ski weekend package for arrival on Friday, February 6 includes two nights in the hotel, a day of skiing each at Kirkwood and Heavenly, dining credits for CV Steak or Katie's, and a warm CVI Logo sweatshirt for après ski lounging! Click here for more.
- Clay Shooting in February: Our 2015 Clay Shooting Weekend February 19 – 21 includes a Thursday reception, Friday sporting clays at Walker River Resort, Saturday sporting clays at Carson Valley Clays, and a Saturday Awards Dinner.
- Don't Get Your Wings Clipped: The Eagles and Agriculture event on February 20 – 22 is filling fast. We checked with the Chamber yesterday and they told us there is still room on the Ranch & Eagle Tour for both Saturday and Sunday and for the Falconers’ Dinner Friday night (here at the CVI), but just about all of the smaller tours and photo workshop are full. Get all the information by clicking here or call the Chamber at 775-782-8144.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Pro PK'em - $5,000 Guaranteed Payout on Super Bowl: No winner again last week so we rounded the pot to $5,000 and, as promised, it must be given away on Super Sunday. Play as many $5 parlay cards as you want and whoever gets the most of the 15 propositions correct wins the $5,000 (ties split)! Check at the Sportsbook at the CVI or Bodines Casino for the details.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret: Dale Poune tonight, Vegas Road Show Thursday – Saturday night, George Pickard Sunday through Wednesday nights.
- Grilled Duck Breast Friday in CV Steak: Maple Leaf Farms 9 oz. duck breast marinated with fresh herbs, grilled to medium rare-medium doneness with natural duck jus. Served with tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato . . . all for $28.00.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: Tonight and next Wednesday we are giving away a collectible mug to the first 150 ladies who sign up. We also have ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament, hot seat prizes and more.
- Winter Weekend Winner: Congratulations to Yvette M. who won a deluxe room for two for Friday and Saturday nights, February 4 and 5 plus $100 in Dining Credit for use during her stay in any of our restaurants. Thanks to all who entered and watch for more giveaways in future blog postings.