The weather will be ideal, the plans are all set, and the Carson Valley skies will ignite with excitement this weekend so don't miss out. Here are a few helpful tidbits:
- Tickets are less expensive in advance and you can get them on the Aviation Roundup website
F-18 Super Hornet
- If we read the FAA jargon correctly, you might catch a glimpse of one or more of the U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds jets flying over the Valley during the next few days in advance of the Aviation Roundup this Saturday and Sunday.
- Wednesday: The #8 Thunderbird will be doing some brief survey flights over the airport about 1 PM.
- Thursday: Thunderbirds #1-7 will be doing survey work over the show center line about 1 PM.
- Friday: Thunderbirds #1-6 will be in the area shortly after 1:30 PM practicing maneuvers for Saturday and Sunday's air show.
- The official pilot briefing for all of the performers will take place at the Carson Valley Inn on Friday through Sunday mornings of this weekend. KTVN Channel 2 meteorologists will be doing the weather briefing portion of this meeting: Mike Alger on Friday, Chloe Beardsley Saturday and Jeff Martinez Sunday.
- In case you missed the announcement last week, yet another act has been added to the already packed schedule: the U.S. Navy Tac Demo Team is bringing in two F-18 Super Hornets and demonstrating one on each day of the Aviation Roundup.
- This weekend's Carson Valley performance by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds is one of 40 shows they are doing in 2015 and one of only four shows on the West Coast.
- For more tidbits mildly related to the Aviation Roundup see the TJ's Corral and Because We Feel like Mentioning It sections below.
Thursday Third Thursday Wine Walk Goes Timeless: "Pick Your Decade" is the theme for this week's Thirsty Third Thursday Wine Walk in Gardnerville. Sharkey's Casino is a central stop for wine walk regulars and what better location to match the theme than this historic landmark which opened as Sharkey's in the early 1970s. Check the memorabilia and pictures on the walls and we're sure you'll find something for each of the decades since the 70s. Want to go back to the 60s? Check out the mural of the old Golden Bubble in the Jackpot Café. Want to go back even further? Sharkey's has antique slots from the 20s and 30s! Be sure to register for the Wine Walk starting at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at either Big Daddy's Bicycle Shop near the Minden-Gardnerville line or at the Town of Gardnerville office across the street and two blocks south of Sharkey's. Come dressed in whatever attire matches your favorite decade – including what you have on today – and stop by the Jackpot Café before or after the wine walk for Thursday's $7.99 Beef Stroganoff Special!
Coming Up in TJs Corral:
- Private Event this Friday: If you see activity out in TJ's Corral this Friday night, don't worry, you didn't miss a concert. It's a private Performers and Sponsors Party for the Aviation Roundup. Just one of the many ways the Carson Valley Inn is stepping up to help make this incredible community event possible.
- Austinpalooza Friday, September 11: After a tweak or two to the schedule these four bands are confirmed for a continuous stream of live music from 5 to 10 PM: Miki Rae (Indie Pop), The Engineered Disaster (Classic Rock), Seymour's Trick Bag (Rock) and Lavish Green (Ska/Reggae). There is no admission charge for this nonstop evening of live music presented by GE and the Carson Valley Inn, but the folks from Austin's House will gladly accept your donation at the door or during the concert.
- Lee Brice Friday, September 18 our final concert is four weeks away and tickets continue to move rapidly. Please don't delay as we don't want you to miss out on catching our 2015 TJ's Corral finale from Lee's Party Pit (standing – stage center), Reserved Seating or General Admission (standing). Get tickets through our website, at our Hotel Desk or by calling 775-783-6606.
An Educated Golfer is Just As Frustrated! Our Group Golf Business picks up when school starts and that's what’s going on now as students reluctantly flock back to school in Nevada and California and parents try to figure out when "things" changed so that school starts long before Labor Day (anyone really know how this happened??). The thelittlestgolfer.com saying sure illustrates the meticulous nature of teachers, the importance of spelling and the frustration of golf. If you are part of a group of golfers that might be interested in one of our group golf packages, call Greg at 775-783-6615.
And on the Gaming Front:
- $80,000 Guaranteed Giveaway Promotion: this page for more on this and our other current casino promotions.
- Climbing the Ladder in the Poker Room: the August and September ladder promotion is well underway with the top 60 rankings being updated and posted a couple of times a week. Players tend to move up and down quickly based on points earned and additional points gained on wheel spins. More information on the ladder promotion and all of our other poker promotions and special games is available at this link.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Mike's Horses: Decent results at Del Mar last week as Pretty N Cool won the Sorrento Stakes on Wednesday and Carson City Five won the first race on Saturday. Still not a sport for the faint of heart as these are just two successes among a number of "out-of-the-money" finishes in the last few weeks including a couple of "hey, how come no one finished behind me" outcomes.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive a free gift and coupon for tonight's ladies-only drink special. There are also ladies-only raffles and hot seat drawings for Yankee Candle Baskets.
- Game Special Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Chef's Choice, Saturday's special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sundays the special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are all served with fresh vegetable, choice of potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked) and tableside tossed salad.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: George Pickard performs tonight, The Nighthawks entertain Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and Steve Lord returns Sunday through Wednesday.
- Race and Sports Book: You can watch and bet Horseracing, Major League Baseball games, Pre-Season NFL Football and this Saturday's NASCAR Irwin Tools Night Race. We're also taking futures bets to win most professional and collegiate championships.
- Because We Feel Like Mentioning It: Today is Aviation Day which is most ironic because it is also the first day we'll see visible activity in the sky connected with this weekend's Aviation Roundup. Continuing with coincidences, Sunday - the last day of the Aviation Roundup - is Ride the Wind Day created to marvel at all things flying.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!