- Moe Bandy & TG Sheppard: With 14 #1 Country Hits between 1974 and 1986, TG Sheppard extends his personal invitation in the video above to join him and his friend Moe Bandy (two dozen Top 20 Hits) for their concert this Saturday in TJ's Corral. Tickets are just $29 and available on our website, at the hotel desk, or by calling 775-783-6606.
- Davisson Brothers Band: The energy, talent and enthusiasm the Davisson Brothers Band brought to TJ's Corral during their June concert was so well received we just had to bring them back so more people could enjoy them. This time it's a free concert - part of our 31st Birthday Party on Saturday, August 15. Before the concert we'll have free ice cream, free popcorn, $2 hamburgers, $1.50 hot dogs, $2 soda and water, and $5 beer and wine. Inside the casino that Saturday: 3X Points from 8 AM to 5 PM, free cake and champagne from 2 to 3 PM, free birthday shirts handed out randomly throughout the day while they last, and drawings at 2, 4, 6 and 8 p.m. to win up to $5,000!
- Austinpalooza: this event is Friday evening, September 11 with four bands in succession for your entertainment pleasure. The fun runs from 5 to 10 PM and, while there is no ticket price or admission fee, Austin's House board members will be taking donations at the door and every single dollar goes to support this emergency shelter for children between the ages of birth to 18.
- Lee Brice on Friday, September 18: Tickets for the “Jägermeister Presents: Lee Brice” concert in TJ's Corral are on sale through our website.Tickets for Lee's center-stage VIP Party Pit (Standing) and for Reserved Seating are $65. General Admission Standing and grass area tickets are $59.
Counting Down the Days to Aviation Roundup! Just two weeks until the local skies are roaring with the sights, sounds and excitement of the Carson Valley Aviation Roundup on Saturday and Sunday, August 22 and 23 at the Minden-Tahoe Airport. Tickets are on sale at aviationroundup.com where you'll also find much more information. Don't miss this rare opportunity to see the USAF Thunderbirds and a half dozen other aerobatic acts including Team Rocket whose spectacular 5-minute 2013 highlights video is above (the rock & roll starts at about :40). Also on tap: over 40 vendors/exhibitors and almost two dozen static displays.
Just Put Ice on It! Now that we are in the dog days of the summer season, it's time to start thinking about how to cool down on these hot days. In our opinion, there's nothing that surges through you (including your brain sometimes) faster than a frozen smoothie at Job's Perk (located near the elevators on the hotel first floor). We mix 'em "to order" and offer seven flavors: banana, strawberry, raspberry, peach, piña colada, cappuccino and mango. How much, just $2.49 (yes, you read that correctly)! And which is the most popular? It's the combo mixture of banana and strawberry!
Golf for All Levels:
- The annual Carson Valley Inn Mixed Scramble is just six weeks away on this page which also includes a link to the flyer/registration form.
- Speaking of golf, the Carson Valley Inn is headquarters to over 100 different golf groups each year from as few as eight people to over 100. We make it easy by packaging the hotel rooms, golf starting times, food and beverage functions and even activities for the non-golfers. Are you part of a group you feel might be interested? Give Greg a call at 775-783-6615.
First NFL Preseason Game This Weekend! It's not a full card (that's next weekend), but the first official NFL preseason game is this Sunday when the Pittsburgh Steelers and Minnesota Vikings meet in the Hall of Fame game at Canton, Ohio. We'll be glad to take your bet on this game at the Sports Book at the Carson Valley Inn, Bodines Casino, or Sharkey's Casino . . . and when you place your bet, please share whatever logic you used to pick a winner when the teams have only been in training camp a little more than a week! If you're a true football junkie, you might appreciate these 10 Reasonably Fun Facts About the NFL's 2015 Preseason Schedule.
Hot August Nights Classic Cars in Town Thursday: Over 500 classic automobiles will pass through Esmeralda Street and Minden Park this Thursday from 10 AM to 2 PM as the Hot August Nights Poker Run makes its annual lunch stop in the Carson Valley. Thanks to the generous support of the Carson Valley Visitors Authority and the Town of Minden, we all get the visual treat just three blocks from the Carson Valley Inn without having to fight the crowds in Reno. There will be food and beverages for sale and upbeat oldies music by Bill McClain . . . so stop by and enjoy!
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- New Items in Katie's: We've added some new items to the menu in Katie's this week including a Crisp Calamari Salad, a Spinach Salad, a Beef Brisket Sandwich, a Benedict Omelette, and two burgers: the Blackjack and the Big Island. Come on in and give 'em a try!
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive a free gift and coupon for tonight's ladies-only drink special. There are also ladies-only hot seat drawings for Wine Country Gift Baskets and ladies-only raffles.
- Mike's Horses: Gimme Da Lute won the $200,000 Real Good Deal Stakes at Del Mar last Sunday . . . the 8th race of 2015 for the colt who has won 5 times, placed once and came in third twice! Remember Hoppertunity, Mike's horse that was scratched 3 days before the 2014 Kentucky Derby? Here's an interesting story about the colt, his trainer and the folks who inspired his name as it appeared in the New Your Times earlier this week.
- Buffalo Shirt Ribs Friday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Braised Buffalo Short Ribs served with fresh vegetable, choice of potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked) and tableside tossed salad all for $29.00. Sundays in CV Steak we feature one pound of King Crab Legs for $32 and that also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Jonathan "JB" Barton is here tonight, The Vegas Road Show entertains Thursday thru Saturday nights and Greg Austin takes the stage Sunday through Wednesday.
- Race and Sports Book: You can watch and bet Horseracing, Major League Baseball games, golf's PGA Championship and this weekend's "Cheez-it 355 at the Glen" NASCAR race. We're also taking futures bets to win most professional and collegiate championships. As a side note, we're starting to wonder if the people who name NASCAR races and the people who name racehorses are starting to hang out together?
- Because We Feel Like Mentioning It: Every day of the year there are up to a half dozen different "days of recognition" for one thing or another. We try to pick out one or two each week and sometimes making the choice is difficult. This week was a no-brainer as Friday, August 7 is both International Beer Day and India Pale Ale Day. And no matter how many of our readers decide to join us for this celebration, we can handle all of you between our six locations: The Cabaret Bar and CV Steak Bar at the Carson Valley Inn, the Casino Bar and Sports Book Bar at Bodines Casino, and the Silver Dollar Bar at Sharkey's Casino!
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!