|Angela Shilling (KTVN), Bill Henderson (CVI), |
Arianna Bennet (KTVN), Sarah Sanchez (CV Food Closet)
Food Drive Another Success: Thank you to the thousand plus individuals and businesses who came out last Friday to donate and volunteer. The weather wasn’t perfect but that didn’t seem to dissuade the generosity of our community. After a long, cold and sometimes damp day, over 176,000 pounds of food and over $50,000 in cash (including $20,000 from the CVI) was collected for the Carson Valley Community Food Closet – both totals are an increase over the 2014 event. Also, 58 units of blood were donated with life-saving potential for over 150 lives. For a pictorial review of the day, click here to view the images put up by Megan Evertt, owner of Blank Slate Imagery. And for a summary of the full picture in northern Nevada including Reno, Carson City and Carson Valley, take a look at this KTVN wrap-up report.
No Cookies & Milk for These Santas!
Not to worry, there will be plenty of other ways to lift Santa's "spirits" at the Gardnerville Santa Crawl this Saturday from 6 PM to 8 PM in downtown Gardnerville and you can bet that Sharkey's Casino and our Silver Dollar Bar will be right in the middle of the fun! The Gardnerville Santa Crawl was started a few years ago by Troy Phillips (a certified Sommelier) at Battle Born Wine and Ryan Lamb (protector of the infamous Picon Punch recipe) at J. T. Basque Bar & Dining Room. Their mission was simple: raise some money for local charities and stir up some business right before Christmas. Over the years, they have succeeded in both! To participate, simply go to one of the startup points (Battle Born Wine and The Overland this year) and donate $10.00. You'll receive a card with logos of all the participating businesses which are the Overland, JT, Battle Born, French Bar, Buckaroo's Saloon, Sharkey's Casino and Nevada Ugly. All that money will go equally to Austin's House and the Carson Valley Community Food Closet, two local organizations which receive annual support from the Carson Valley Inn.Austin's House and the Carson Valley Community Food Closet, two local organizations which receive annual support from the Carson Valley Inn.
The Exposition Universelle of 1900 was a world's fair held in Paris, France from April 15 to November 12, 1900 to celebrate the achievements of the past century and to accelerate development into the next. We’ve tried to capture just a bit of the spirit – with a seasonal Christmas twist – in our
Christmas Dinner Specials in Katie’s and CV Steak: Garlic-Studded Slow-Roasted Prime Rib of Beef or Fillet of Sole Stuffed with Crab, Shrimp and Scallops in CV Steak . . . and a Traditional Roasted Turkey Dinner or Applewood Smoked Molasses and Five Peppercorn Crusted Pork Loin in Katie’s. For times, prices, accompaniments and all of the other details, click here. Oh, and of course we’ll also serve all of our regular menu items on Christmas Day in both restaurants . . . just the usual Friday Night Specials will not be available. If you’d rather have Christmas Day dinner at home with the family, we have a solution for that approach also: our Christmas Turkey Dinner To Go for Up to 10 People.
Reminder to Get Your New Blue Bordered INN Club Card: We have finished switching our slot management software and all of the player card readers. INN Club cards with the red border no longer work and everyone who has not already done so needs to stop by so we can print you a new blue bordered Inn Club . . . . you’ll also need to reset or change your PIN number. Your point balance remains the same, all the benefits remain the same, you just need a new card!
Race and Sports Book:
- This week you can watch and bet NFL and College Football, Horseracing, NBA and College Basketball, and NHL Hockey.
- The PRO PK’EM jackpot is $4,556 on this week’s progressive parlay card.
- Quick, what do the following words all have in common: Cure, Pinstripe, Potato and Military? They are the names of four of the 40 NCAA Bowl Games to be played over a 15 day period starting this Saturday. We'll be showing them all in our casino bar area . . . and taking action on the bowl games in our Sports Book.
Cabaret Lounge Entertainment – No Cover, No Minimum – Free! Jonathon “JB” Barton performs tonight, everydaYSaints entertain Thursday, Stew Stewart and his band take the stage Friday and Saturday nights, NFL Football is on Sunday and Monday Nights and George Pickard returns next Tuesday and Wednesday. everydaYSaints (yep, that's how they spell it) recreate just the hits from your favorite modern country and pop artists. The group’s founders, singer/songwriters David Lee and Dale Nishizaki, are rounded out by Bea Valenzuela on vocals and Perry Capalbo on bass/vocals. Stew Stewart is our resident quick-witted, handsome (his opinion) and stingingly spontaneous resident Entertainment Manager. Always a crowd favorite with his ability to genuinely connect to the audience, a Stew Stewart show has something for everyone . . . country music, blues, oldies, comedy, classic rock, Motown and just plain ol' on-the-spot fun! A Nevada entertainer for five decades (or is it six now?), Stew has settled into the Carson Valley after appearing at over 100 state and county fairs, many as the opening act for artists such as Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Marie Osmond, Herman's Hermits, The Drifters, The Coasters, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, The Oak Ridge Boys and more! Stew's band is a show in itself and they will be joined by Stew for his performances at 8 and 10 p.m. or whenever he moseys in!
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Tonight is Ladies’ Nights and the first 150 ladies to sign up receive a Free Christmas ornament and ladies-only drink specials. Hot Seat drawings tonight are World Market Gift Baskets.
- Chef's Choice Game Special Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week wasn't available yet when this blog was posted - but the chef always has one! Saturday night its Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. All these specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Because We Feel Like Mentioning It:
- Today is Chocolate Covered Anything Day. Not sure what's been going on lately, but it seems just about every week there's a reason for us to bring up items we make in our bakery and sell at the CVI. Some of the chocolate covered items we offer: Chocolate covered fudge cake and brownies in Katie's, chocolate covered donuts in Job's Perk and chocolate covered lava cake and Grand Marnier cheesecake in CV Steak. We're guessin' that the folks in CV Steak will probably drizzle chocolate on just about anything on Chocolate Covered Anything Day!
- Friday is Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. If it's so ugly that you can't wear it to the office, save it for the Santa Crawl in Gardnerville on Saturday night!
- Friday is also Bake Cookies Day. If you spent the whole day looking for your ugly Christmas sweater, don't worry: you can just stop by Katie's bakery counter or Job's perk – we've got plenty of Baked-at-the-Inn cookies for sale.
- Sunday is Games Day which was created 40 years ago in December, 1975. How remiss would we be if we did not mention that between the Carson Valley Inn, Bodines Casino and Sharkey's Casino we offer over 1000 games for you to play!
- Monday is National Flashlight Day. To celebrate, we have a free Carson Valley Inn flashlight for the first 12 people (as in the 12 Days of Christmas) who come to our Guest Services counter on Monday, December 21 (not before) and mention they read something about a free flashlight in our blog.
- Monday is also Short Story Day. The end.