Three Weeks Until First TJ’s Concert, But First . . .
The first national-act of the TJ’s Corral 2018 concert season is just three weeks away, however that’s not our season’s first event! On Saturday, May 19 we turn TJ’s over to the music programs of the Douglas County Schools to perform on the same stage that has seen the likes of the Charlie Daniels Band, Oak Ridge Boys, Michael McDonald, Chris Young, Kenny Loggins, Merle Haggard and dozens more (see Upcoming Events section below). Then, The Righteous Brothers: Bill Medley & Bucky Heard kick off the concert season on Friday, May 25 with their romantic sounds that defined the sixties and seventies and have continued to stand the test of time. Country is the theme for the following three concerts with Travis Tritt on Friday, June 1; Granger Smith on Saturday, June 16; and Clint Black on Friday, June 29. We then switch to rock with Ted Nugent on Wednesday, July 4; back to country when Trace Adkins visits on Saturday, July 14; and wrap it up with more classic rock with Creedence Clearwater Revisited on Sunday, August 12. Your best and fastest bet for purchasing tickets for any TJ’s Corral concert is through our website which allows you to see the seating layout map and pick your seat(s) for one or more concerts in one transaction. You can also purchase tickets in-person at our Hotel Desk.
Happy Birthday Bodines Casino!
Bodines Casino celebrates its 10th Birthday this weekend and here’s a peek into some of the history: In the mid-1970s the Mendeguia family was operating a bar called The Golden Horse on the corner of Highway 395 and Clear Creek Rd. where Bodines Casino is now located. They closed it down, remodeled, added a kitchen and opened a small Basque restaurant called Toki-Ona which they operated until the mid-1980s. When that restaurant closed, three restaurateurs from Lake Tahoe bought the old building and decided to refurbish it into a new restaurant. They then bought the Heitman Barn for $1000 that sat on property on the corner of Douglas Avenue and Gilman in Gardnerville - within a stone’s throw (for a major-league outfielder) from Sharkey’s Casino. The gentlemen dismantled the barn board by board and used the materials to redo the interior and exterior of the Toki-Ona restaurant, reopening it as Bodines (a nickname tagged on one of the partners in the military). The trio operated Bodines as a rustic and popular local restaurant and bar until 2005 when they sold the property to Mike Pegram and his partners who then opened the current Bodines Casino in May of 2008. Both Rick Murdock, one of the partners, and Larry Henry, the architect, grew up in Carson City not far from Bodines.
- Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 13: Make your plans now to enjoy our Champagne Brunch in the Valley Ballroom from 10 AM to 2 PM (775-783-7768 for Brunch reservations), Mother’s Day Specials plus the regular menu in CV Steak (775-783-6650 for CV Steak reservations) or stop in Katie's for a Seafood Omelet from 7 to 11 AM and Grilled Salmon Oscar from 11 AM until 9 PM.
- The Wolf Pack Caravan with Coach Norvell, Tuesday, May 15: Wolf Pack fans can meet second year head football coach Jay Norvell, get his inside scoop on the upcoming Wolf Pack football season and ask questions! Admission is free, doors open at 5:30 PM and the program runs from 6 to 7 PM. Planning to attend? Try to give Holly a heads up at 775-682-6961.
- Thirsty Wine Walk, Thursday, May 17: More on this next week, but put it on your calendar and be sure to wander through Sharkey’s as you make the rounds that evening!
- Band-tastic 2.0, Saturday, May 19: A great opportunity for members of our community to enjoy a free concert featuring the different music groups comprised of hundreds of students from Pau Wa Lu Middle School, Carson Valley Middle School, Pinion Elementary, Jack’s Valley Elementary and Douglas High School. The gates open at 11:30 AM, the concert runs from noon to 1:30 PM and admission is free!
- 9th Annual Pinocchio’s Ride for the Tatas, Sunday, May 20: The CVI parking lot is one of the stops for the Poker Run portion of this annual fundraiser for Moms on the Run. The bikes are nice, but the costumes definitely make the day!
- 8th Annual Mike Tice “For the Kids” Charity Weekend, June 15 – 17: Join in on this incredible fundraising event for the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch by checking the participation and sponsorship opportunities at the MikeTiceForTheKids website!
Appreciation and Awareness
Friday is Firefighter's Day and Saturday is Wildfire Community Preparedness Day We have a strong appreciation and admiration for the dedicated firefighters and paramedics who make up the East Fork Fire Protection District. They are always there when we need them at the Carson Valley Inn and their professional and swift responses are also exhibited daily as they respond to businesses and citizens within our community. We also aknowledge the danger of wildfire in our community and applaud the efforts of the Living With Fire Program. Started 1997, this organization is a collaborative effort involving many organizations and is managed by University of Nevada Cooperative Extension. They developed and update a set of consistent wildfire threat reduction recommendations for Nevadans and continue to share them with homeowners living in fire prone areas.
In the Casino
|Watch & Wager Here at the CVI|
- Free Wearable Thursday: We have a free CVI wearable for INN Club members earning just 50 base points the same day . . . You get the wearable item plus keep the points!
- Cash & FreePlay Drawings Friday: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM this Friday for drawings for cash and freeplay. You automatically receive one free entry into these drawings for every five base points you earn during May . . . so stop by ‘cause you can’t win if you aren’t here!
- 5X Points Saturday: Inn Club members earn 5X Points this Saturday which translates to five times the build-up of comp value!
- Cash & Freeplay Bash Saturdays: Every Saturday in May from 7 to 8 PM our Cash & Freeplay drawings guarantee ten $100 winners . . . be sure to use your INN Club card while playing in the casino!
- Kentucky Derby Saturday: Catch the race on the big screen here at the CVI or our sister property Bodines Casino in Carson City and enjoy drink specials while you watch the pre-race festivities and the Derby itself! Wagering starts Friday at both properties for all the races on the Friday and Saturday Churchill Downs cards.
- Free Gift Mondays: We have a free gift for INN Club members earning just 100 base points the same day . . . You get the gift plus keep the points!
- At the Sports and Race Book: This week you can bet Major League Baseball, The NHL and NBA Playoffs, Horse Racing and the NASCAR AAA 400 Drive for Autism. Futures on the board include the FIFA World Cup Russia™ (June 14 – July 15), NBA Championship, NHL Stanley Cup, World Series, NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships and the 2019 Super Bowl!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday its Grilled Duck Breast marinated with fresh herbs and grilled with natural duck jus for $28. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Sunday is No Diet Day which pushes throwing the diet out the window. We have avenues for such a rash celebration between many of the items in Katie’s Bakery counter and some (certainly not all) of our delicious home-style entrees. But, we would never mention anything like that! We find it somewhat ironic that Sunday is also Beverage Day which advocates, among other celebratory approaches, to drink only beverages on this day. Probably ought to leave it at “enough said.”
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino, Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino and Betsy’s Big Kitchen at Slot World Casino.
Denver Saunders tonight, Full Blast Thursday through Saturday, Jamie Rollins Sunday and Monday and Chris Twomey Tuesday and Wednesday. Denver Saunders gives you a chance to dance, laugh and sing-along to this inspiring vocalist/guitarist who is a mainstay with the band Well Dressed Mannequins! Cliff Porter’s Full Blast is a high-energy, genre-crossing band that will take you on a trip through old school classics to today’s hits! Music styles range from funk, to jazz, from Gospel infused instrumentals to country and rock! An upbeat and experienced entertainer, Jamie Rollins performs a variety of music from country to rock, to classic oldies and R&B – plus a few of his own songs. Chris Twomey’s roots are deep into a genre of folk-rock . . . from 2Me to The Diva Kings to Dad's LPs to whatever is next.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by
calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!