Inn-Side Inn-formation on Some Upcoming Events at CVI:
- The Carson-Tahoe Moto on Friday - Sunday, August 22 – 24 is a gathering of motorcycle riders Sign up today!
- Our 30th Birthday Celebration is Sunday, August 24 with Blues, Brews & Motocross plus much more! The day's events include activities all day in the casino plus free outdoor high-flying aerial motocross acrobatics demonstrations and free entertainment with the Blues Monsters in the evening. Plus . . . free popcorn, free ice cream and free games for the kids.
- Our 30th Annual Mixed Scramble Golf Tournament is September 5 & 6 and this is the perfect event for golfers of ALL levels and abilities. The blind draw of teams makes it easy to meet new people and enjoy a round of golf without undue pressure. Check out all the details including a sign up form.
- The Annual Bunko for Breast Cancer night is just two months away on Saturday, October 11 and this is one of the most un-corporate-like events that our friends at the Minden GE facility sponsor all year! Suffice it to say that earplugs are so advised that they are actually provided 'cause the noise, shouting, laughter and general merriment is . . . you'll just have to dive in and enjoy it! To sign up, volunteer, or find out what this can all possibly mean, call Pamela at 775-215- 1001. And be warned, as soon as you mention Bunko to Pamela she might start babbling – this event knocks her and the GE committee sideways every year . . . but it always raises five figures for Cancer Services in our community!
- The Annual CVI Shooting Outing is February 19 – 21 and we're working on the flyer and web page now. Look for more details soon, but get it on your calendar now for two days of sporting clays, an opening night reception and an awards buffet with game and traditional fare.
- Chris Young put on a great show to a sell-out crowd last Saturday and we commend this young artist and his crew for their professionalism, friendliness and cooperativeness. Keep an eye on Chris . . . he's a good one!
- The Austinpalooza to benefit Austin’s House is a week from this Saturday (That's August 16) andLee Rocker anchors the show and four area bands will take the stage before him including The Engineered Disaster, Seymour's Trick Bag, Bootleggers and Lavish Green. Austin's House is the only Emergency Children’s Center in Northern NV. The children who are placed at Austin's House have been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect . . . and Austin's House provides care until these children are either reunited with their family or an appropriate long term placement is made. These are very sad situations but Austin's House makes it good . . . and your purchase of a $25 ticket or two will help them continue!
- Somehow, we found fifty more Standing-Room-Only tickets for the Charlie Daniels Band Concert on Friday, August 29 and they went on sale last night. If you're thinking of attending, better act quickly 'cause they will certainly go fast! Remember, you really don't have to stand - bring a blanket and sit on the grass area!
What Would You Do with a Sudden $50,000? Whether the amount was $50,000 or a Million Dollars (remember Steve Martin's quick advice as to how to become a Millionaire?), we've all had that question posed to us or a least thought about it. And most of us either blurt out something definitive – from frivolous to practical to philanthropic – but soon the thought dissipates because it's all hypothetical anyway. Nancy, a local resident guest, recently faced the question for real! It went like this: Nancy was walking by the Penny Progressive and saw the jackpot was quite high so she sat down, inserted the $27 ticket she had cashed out from another machine and started playing. Soon the machine stopped working and some people came over." Turns out it was our CVI staff looking like they were going to start clapping and singing Happy Birthday like they do in some of those many restaurants. Nancy assumed there was something wrong with the machine – and there was: it stopped automatically 'cause she had just won the $50,184.00 jackpot! We caught up with Nancy a few days later and asked that stupid question that casino people, reporters and PR flacks always ask, "What was your first thought when you realized you had won?" Her answer was one word, "flabbergasted!" Of course we followed up with the equally required and trite "What are you going to do with the money?" By then, Nancy and her husband Leroy had thought it out and they choose to forgo the frivolous (at least for now) and stick with the practical (invest for the kids) and philanthropic (10% to United Methodist Church). What would you do?
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Occasionally Even Useful Tidbits and News:
- The HBO show Hard Knocks 2014 season debut was last night and this year HBO is following the Atlanta Falcons throughout training camp and the preseason as they whittle their roster down for the season opener against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, September 7. So why is this in the CVI blog? Mike Tice is the Offensive Line Coach of the Falcons and Mike is a frequent CVI visitor, a friend of CVI owner Mike Pegram and the driving force behind the Mike Tice Charity Golf Tournament that has raised over $250,000 for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Western Nevada Carson Valley Branch over the last 4 years. Viewer discretion is advised as HBO has no language filters!
- In the Cabaret This Weekend: For more than ten years Escalade has been entertaining northern Nevada with a blend of R&B, jazz and pop. The group performs the best of the artists of Motown such as The Drifters, Coasters, Temptations and Four Tops plus the hits of Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. Band leader Jeff Odom’s strong vocals and infectious personality make this band a local favorite.
- Our monthly Blackjack Tournament is Tuesday, August 12 . . . check at the Pit for details. Pit? That's totally acceptable casino-talk for "table games area."
Get In Touch With Us: Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!