Carson Valley Airporter Getting Very Close: the start of the Carson Valley Airporter shuttle service between the Carson Valley and Reno airport is still a week or two away. However, we know it's getting closer because one of the buses was here a few days ago as it ran the orientation route with all of the drivers. Our Bell Captain (Mark) and one of our Hotel Supervisors (Clarissa) couldn't resist the "Wheel of Fortune" pose next to one of the two specially marked buses that will be running the service. The rates and schedules will be on the Carson Valley Airporter website which now has preliminary information. The folks at The Amador Stage Lines folks will be back in town early next week to deliver the schedule cards which will be then available at our hotel front desk.
Halloween Meets Late Night Catechism: we know this seems like a deliberate set up, but honestly it was a coincidence. Deanna, Stephanie and Julie (l-r in picture) from our Marketing Department dressed up as Nice, Naughty and Mean Nuns for Halloween. In addition to winning the first place day-shift prize, they also gave us a great segue into the Late Night Catechism show coming up on Saturday, November 15 in our Valley Ballroom. This based-on-how-it-really-was comedy show/play is certain to bring tears of laughter and twinges of nostalgia to anyone who was taught by nuns in school, had friends who were taught by nuns in school, or has ever heard any of the "stories" involving having your hands slapped by a ruler. Hurry - tickets are selling faster than we thought! As for the rest of the employee Halloween Costume Contest Winners: Second place on day-shift went to Unique in Katie's who dressed as a Unique-a-Corn. The swing-shift costume winners: First place (tie) went to Jenny at CV Steak Bar (Oktoberfest Gal) and Bonnie in Slots (Dracula) and second place went to Jessica in Slots (Little Bo Peep)! Back to the Nice, Naughty and Mean Nuns for a second - that combination only begins to describe Sister Nonee who will be "teaching" Late Night Catechism on November 15. More on this show in the "Interesting Tidbits" section below.
Christmas Kickoff Weekend December 4 - 6: As promised in last week's blog, we now have all the information on our website for the Christmas Kickoff Weekend, a three-night package for December 4, 5, and 6. In addition to three nights in the hotel and $100 in dining credit for our restaurants, you'll have access to a number of free Christmas Kickoff activities in Minden, Gardnerville and Genoa that weekend. From Christmas tree lightings to fireworks to Santa arrivals to the parade of lights, you'll have something to do every day and night. This is one of our best weekend values of the year and we suggest you check it out by clicking here.
Secret Circle, California Chrome Come up Short: If you follow horse racing at all you know that Mike's horse Secret Circle ran a close second in the Breeders' Cup Sprint to Work All Week and California Chrome ran well but finished third, half a length behind winner Bayern in the Breeders' Cup Classic. Two good showings last Saturday from horses with local ownership but, unfortunately no trip to the Winner's Circle. The local crowd was solidly behind California Chrome as shown in the above video of rising hope and eventual disappointment in our Cabaret Lounge during the Breeders' Cup Classic. Mike did have a winner on Sunday at Santa Anita when Global Hottie won the 8th race.
Poker Room Extras: the zany crew in our poker room has put together a couple of enticing extras over the next few weeks. On Tuesday and Thursday nights, a $50 cash drawing is being held for all participants in that night's tournament. All the names go into a hat (or something similar but with the tight security of a hat) and a winner is drawn 30 minutes after the end of the tournament. If you're playing in a live game at the time of the drawing, the 50 bucks is yours. If the winner is not present, the $50 rolls to the next tournament night. Here's the other extra: on Saturdays from 2 to 6 PM, whoever has the high hand of each hour (full house or better) gets a chance to spin the wheel. Regulars know that wheel prizes include 1,000 to 2,000 free INN Club points, dinners in CV Steak, and even a stop on the wheel for a cash progressive jackpot. These two extras are in addition to a whole bunch of other things going on regularly in our poker room. Click here for all the information including what's happening for our 10 Year Poker Room Anniversary on December 19!
Thanksgiving Dinner to Go: It was a big hit last year, so we're bringing it back – Thanksgiving Dinner to Go for up to 10 People is available again! We start with a sizable & plump turkey, add in all the trimmings, and pack it up in a way that makes it easy for you to pick up on Wednesday and heat it all up for Thanksgiving Day. Advance orders are a must and all the details are at this link.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News:
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret: Paul Covarelli appears tonight, Steppen Stonz takes the stage Thursday – Saturday nights, NFL Football has the spotlight Sunday and Monday nights and Greg Austin entertains Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Ladies Night: Tonight's Hot Seat winners will receive a Gift Basket from Fresh Ideas and the first 150 ladies to check in tonight will receive a Fall Candy Dish! To have your business featured on one of our Ladies' Nights (we do pay you for the prizes); call Stephanie at 775-783-7711.
- Jackpot Update: The Penny Progressive Jackpot was over $39,500 when we checked late yesterday afternoont and the Pro PK'em Progressive is $3,686 for this weekend's NFL games.
- This Week's Game-On Fridays special in CV Steak is Braised Buffalo Short Ribs: one and a half pounds of American Bison short ribs braised and slow-cooked, finished with natural pan sauce and served with tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato . . . all for $29.00!
- Tuesday is our Monthly Blackjack Tournament – just a $25 buy-in and you're in the hunt for the cash prizes - 50% of all entry and buy-back fees to the winner, 30% to 2nd and 20% to 3rd. Check at the table games area (aka "The Pit") for all the details.
- We now have more information available on the annual KTVN Channel 2 Share Your Christmas Community Food Drive on Friday, December 12 at the RV Park entrance from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Nevada Football Coach Brian Polian was his humble yet driven self in his Blitz Luncheon presentation to over 100 alumni and fans in our Valley Ballroom on Monday. With many young players developing fast, the rest of this year and 2015 are looking good!
- Not that we'd ever tell on anyone, especially with Sister Nonee and the Late Night Catechism show so close . . . but Father Paul at St. Gall's thinks the stories about the nuns and the rulers and embarrassing discipline measures have been embellished over time. Those of us who know better, and dodged an eraser or two ourselves in class, will have the chance to set him straight on Tuesday when he does the invocation at our Veteran's Day Free Spaghetti Lunch!
- And one final thought for the week: After months of nightly nuisance, when your home phone rings today it won't be a political robo-call!
Sound Off! Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!