What Kenny Loggins Song Does This Bring To Your Mind? The big news in the Carson Valley last Friday was the official announcement by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds that they will be performing at the Aviation Roundup air show at the Minden-Tahoe Airport on Saturday and Sunday, August 22 and 23. You can bet we'll have plenty more in our blog on this show as the dates draw closer, but, for now, back to that Kenny Loggins song: Turn the volume up, wait thru the 15-second commercial and get ready to rock!
It's Only Rock & Roll this Thursday – Saturday! It's Only Rock & Roll presents an intimate glimpse at the lives of rock stars and the rock & roll lifestyle, from back stage to front & center first row seats, through songs that share the theme of rock stardom and "Super Stardom." From Pink Floyd’s sarcastic look at the record industry’s "machinery" in Have A Cigar to parties "after the show" in We’re An American Band by Grand Funk, or from David Bowie’s look at Fame (with a little vocal support from John Lennon), to The Byrds’ "instruction manual" on how to "make it" in So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star, It's Only Rock & Roll brings the thrill of live rock music to the stage by focusing on defining the glare of the spot lights which has been the topic of so many great rock tunes. Bob Seger laments life on the road in Turn the Page, while Dr. Hook told us of his band’s desire to make it to The Cover of the Rolling Stone. John Lennon offered us a view of too much celebrity popularity in The Ballad of John & Yoko. These songs and many more of like nature make up the repertoire of It's Only Rock & Roll. You can catch it all free in our Cabaret Lounge on Thursday, February 19 from 8 PM to midnight and on Friday and Saturday, February 20 and 21 from 8 PM to 1 AM.
The above video from the Carson Valley Visitors Authority features the Carson Valley Rider, this time at the 2014 Genoa Cowboy Festival. Good reason to remind you that we have just a few Genoa Cowboy Festival Weekend Special Packages to sell at $279 plus tax for May 1 & 2. Each includes a room for two people for Friday and Saturday nights, two front section tickets for the Friday night concert, two front section tickets for the Saturday night concert and a $50 food credit.
Filet Mignon? Voting closes this Thursday on the Beef Wars poll sponsored by carsonvalleytimes.com. As we mentioned last week, the CV Steak 9-ounce Filet is one of the four finalists. To cast your vote, go to this page, scroll down a little, and you'll see the four finalists listed. They are all good, but – and we admit we are biased – we definitely lean heavily towards the entry from CV Steak!
Sharkey's Opening & TJ's Corral Concerts – the most common questions we hear!
- Sharkey's Opening: Despite what you might've heard around town, we do not know exactly when Sharkey's is going to reopen. As soon as we have a projected date, you can be assured it will be mentioned in this blog. Also, despite some of the ramblings in various Facebook posts, we've not started hiring for Sharkey's. Applications for Carson Valley Inn openings are being accepted in our HR office. When someone applies, we will ask at which of our properties the applicant wants to be considered for employment. When there is a more definitive schedule for the opening date of Sharkey's, and that date draws closer, hiring will begin for Sharkey's.
- TJ's Corral 2015 Concerts: We've received many inquiries regarding the artists and schedule for the 2015 concerts. We can share that we are getting very close to announcing the first couple of concerts and we hope to have this information in next Wednesday's blog.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret: Greg Austin is on stage tonight, It's Only Rock & Roll entertains Thursday – Saturday nights and George Pickard is here Sunday through Wednesday nights. Beatles fans take note: We'll have a full night of The Beatles on Thursday, February 26 when Beatles Flashback is here for a special one night show.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the 3rd in the series of four February Skin-Care products. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Mrs. Fields gift baskets, ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament and more.
- Not That It's Been Cool Enough to Need One: But just in case, we are still giving away a lot of CVI Logo Jackets this month: one with every slot jackpot of $1,200 or more any day in February . . . and one by earning 200 points on Monday, February 23 – plus you keep the points!
- We Purposely Didn't Mention This Last Week: And it's most likely too late now, so you are safe from doing anything foolish . . . Today is (was?) Eat Ice Cream For Breakfast Day! Seriously - who comes up with this stuff?!
- Grilled Duck Breast Friday in CV Steak: Maple Leaf Farms 9 oz. duck breast marinated with fresh herbs, grilled to medium rare-medium doneness with natural duck jus. Served with tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato . . . all for $28.00.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!