Look Up in the Sky! This Sunday afternoon the #8 Thunderbird Jet will be overflying the Minden-Tahoe Airport a few times mapping checkpoints and landmarks for the USAF Thunderbirds performance at the Aviation Roundup on Saturday and Sunday, August 22 and 23. Major Scott "Cheetah" Petz will be in town for a Monday morning logistics planning meeting at the CVI with various agencies and committee chairpersons. We are working closely with the folks at the Minden-Tahoe Airport on this event and will post new information as it is available.
Merle Haggard Concert May 1: Tickets now on sale.
Merle Haggard Concert May 1: Tickets now on sale.
WW II Aircraft Return with 3 Free Rides! Those authentic WW II aircraft preserved and displayed by the Collings Foundation are returning to Minden-Tahoe Airport on June 1 – 3 with plenty of opportunities to tour the aircraft (inside and out) and even take a ride! Included are a P-1 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-24 Liberator and, if all goes as planned, a B-25 Mitchell. As host hotel for the crews, the Carson Valley Inn will be giving away three free rides, one each at the CVI, Bodines Casino and Sharkey's Casino. Watch the April issue of the Carson & Valley Voice for more information on the ride giveaways. Meanwhile click here for more about the aircraft, the Wings of Freedom Tour stop in Minden, and how to make reservations for a 30-minute "free to move around the cabin" WW II bomber ride!
Mother's Day Less Than 2 Months Away: Mother's Day is a great weekend to invite mom, daughter or any of your relatives to visit from out of the area and we've got a great way for them to stay with us rather than you cleaning out the spare bedroom and figuring out the where put all that "stuff." Our Mother's Day package includes accommodations in the hotel for Friday and Saturday nights, May 8 and 9 plus $80 in food credits for use in Katie's or CV Steak. It's just $199 per couple and you can make reservations by calling 775-783-6629 or click here for more information.
A Few More Cowboy Packages: We just got access to a few more tickets so we again have a limited number of Genoa Cowboy Festival Weekend Special Packages available for May 1 & 2. For $279 plus tax you get a room for two people for Friday and Saturday nights, two front section tickets for the Friday night concert, two front section tickets for the Saturday night concert and a $50 food credit.
Sharkey's Remodeling Progressing Nicely. We are excited about the progress of the remodeling project at Sharkey's Casino. The casino bar structure has been installed, wall treatments are going up in the casino, tile is being installed in the restrooms and kitchen, electrical work is going on along with many of the other steps that are necessary to completely rebuild the inside. More visible signs of progress will start in a few weeks with exterior painting and the parking lot surfacing. As for that horizontal Sharkey's sign that was lifted off of the vertical Casino sign earlier this week… It's off being refurbished and you'll see both sides of that sign again on the inside when Sharkey's reopens. Still no projected opening date, but it's "gettin' closer!" Anyone remember what Sharkey's was called before it was called Sharkey's?
- Merle Haggard Concert May 1: now on sale.
- Gary Allan Concert June 4: Look for tickets to go on sale sometime in early to mid-April.
- It's Not How You Finish, Its How You Start: We're talking Appetizers (how you start) and our CV Steak Sampler Platter is one of the finalists in the carsonvalleytimes.com App Wars. Voting continues through 5 p.m. Thursday (that's tomorrow, so hurry!) by clicking on this link. The CV Steak Sampler Platter is the perfect way to sample four of CV Steak's favorite appetizers - Shrimp, crab cake, warm spinach dip and Ahi Tuna. Prepared for either two or four people.
- Best of Nevada: Feeling inclined to give us a favorable nod? We'd appreciate your consideration in the Best Casino, Best Hotel and Best Restaurant (CV Steak) categories in the Nevada Magazine Best of Nevada poll.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Boxing Update: If you caught the Boxing Exhibition in TJ's Corral last September, you may remember seeing Nevada boxers Garrett Felling and Jarred Santos in action. Last Saturday, both captured top honors at the College Boxing Regional Championships at the Eldorado Hotel-Casino. Santos won the 132-pound championship bout over Jamal Johnson of Air Force Academy and sophomore Garrett Felling got a win at 185 pounds when his opponent, Chyre Anderson of UNLV, was disqualified in the second round.
- How Many is 9.2 Quintillion? Here's what it looks like in actual numbers: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808. This is supposedly the number of different possibilities there are in filling out a 64 team bracket . . . sure explains why there is so much office time wasted this week each year as March Madness gets started. We say Bring it On! We'll have all the games on our three dozen plus TVs and we'll be patient as you anguish over whether to bet for or against your alma mater at our Sports and Race Book!
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the third in a series of four March Bakeware products. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Popcorn Gift Baskets, ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament and more.
- Cabaret Lounge
- Elk Friday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Grilled Elk Medallions with a Brandy Cherry Demi: two 3-oz. elk tenderloin medallions grilled and finished with demi and sundried cherries and served with tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato . . . all for $29.00.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Steve Lord is here tonight, Just Us entertains Thursday - Saturday nights and Johnny Smokes, an incredible one-man-band, takes the stage Sunday through Wednesday nights.
Thought You Should Know:
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!