Some of this broke at the last minute yesterday so please excuse us not getting all the concerts in order by date!
- 38 Special Concert July 23: Hold On Loosely is just one of the many Southern Rock hits 38 Special will be performing live in TJ's Corral on Thursday Night, July 23. With sales in excess of 20 million, most associate the band with this and other arena-rock pop smashes such as “Rockin’ Into the Night,” “Caught Up in You,” “Fantasy Girl,” “If I’d Been the One,” “Back Where You Belong,” “Chain Lightnin’,” “Second Chance,” and more. Watch for ticket information soon and make your plans to attend!
- The Davisson Brothers Band June 12: An up and coming group with a unique style fusing a blend of country, southern rock, and bluegrass to create a distinctive sound that, combined with the band's talent and energy, has gained them an incredibly loyal and rapidly growing fan base. The band recently worked with acclaimed producer Keith Stegall on their first national single Jesse James.
- Gary Allan Concert June 4: Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday, April 8.
- Merle Haggard May 1: SOLD OUT . . . However, we will be putting a few Standing Room Only tickets on sale today.
- Mo Bandy and TG Sheppard August 8: Both Mo Bandy and TG Sheppard Sold Out when they last appeared in the Carson Valley Inn's Valley Ballroom . . . so we're bringing them together in the much larger TJ's Corral for a special concert night featuring both artists!
- Rodney Atkins June 27: Atkins has received six nominations from the Academy of Country Music and two from the Country Music Association, winning Top New Male Vocalist from the former in 2006. His #1 hits include "If You're Going Through Hell (Before the Devil Even Knows)," "Watching You," "These Are My People," "Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)" and "It's America."
Mikes Horses: two of Mike Pegram's horses were in the winner's circle last weekend: Secret Circle won the $2 Million Dubai Golden Shaheen on Saturday and Five Palms finished first in a race at Santa Anita on Thursday. All was not roses at Santa Anita as Chasintheaces finished out of the money and Secretsatmidnight was a last-minute scratch. Mike has more horses running this week at Santa Anita. The crew at our Race & Sports Book can tell you the particulars and and we'll give you an update in next week's blog. Kudos to Steve Coburn's California Chrome who put up a valiant effort and finished second in the $10 Million Dubai World Cup last Saturday.
Car Winner Takes Magic Carpet Ride: Helen Brownfield won the Chevy Sonic at CVI on Saturday but decided to take the $10,000 Cash to help pay for new carpeting and flooring this spring. Interesting story about Helen: she was not planning to come to the CVI on Sunday night, but her husband talked her into it because she had two Golden Tickets for the car drawing. She acquiesced, they both came in and she was playing the penny slots. When the last finalist's name was called it was not hers. However, that person was not present (spouse not as persistent?) so one more name was called . . . Helen's and she wound up being the grand prize winner! Throw whatever cliché you want at this situation but it's proof once again that "it's never over till it's over!"
- Tournament Winners: Donna Negrey and Janice Tucker "chopped it two ways" at the end of
- Special Stuff: The crew in the poker room continues to make improvements to their growing list of promotions and special games. The newest is Aces Cracked Spins the Wheel on Wednesdays. Monday and Friday night cash drawings have also been tweaked slightly. You can get all the information on the poker room promotions and special games at this link.
April at the Inn:
- Katie's Nightly Dinner Specials (2 to 10 p.m.) have a new twist on Tuesdays: we'll have a different Chef's Special every Tuesday, always tasty and always value priced. The popular Prime Rib Dinner special continues on Friday and Saturday nights and we've also added a second special: Charbroiled Salmon, a fresh boneless, skinless filet charbroiled with lemon, garlic and butter and served with rice and vegetable for $9.99. Click for more on all the Nightly Katie's Dinner Specials.
- The CV Steak Sunset Specials continue to be a hard-to-beat dining value at just $19. The Sunset Specials are available from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday nights.
- $50,000 Cash & FreePlay Giveaways with drawings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights highlights our April Casino promotions. Also in the mix: spell CA$H days, ladies nights, 3X points days, 5th Anniversary extras, the monthly blackjack tournament and more.
Easter at the Inn:
- CV Steak is open for dinner on Easter Sunday from 4:30 p.m. In addition to the regular CV Steak menu, two Easter dinner specials will be offered: The Duet of Filet Mignon and King Crab includes a 6 oz. Filet Mignon with Green Peppercorn Sauce and Half Pound of King Crab Claws with legs, drawn butter and lemon for $36. The Grilled Salmon Oscar includes crab meat, asparagus, béarnaise sauce and port wine glaze for $29. For CV Steak reservations, call 775-783-6650. Note: The Sunset Menu is not available on Easter Sunday.
- Katie's is offering two Easter Sunday dinner specials from noon to 9 p.m.: Baked Ham with orange glaze and rice pilaf for $12.99 and Roast Leg of Lamb with minted pan gravy and mashed potatoes for $14.99.
- Get the Easter Menus for both restaurants by clicking here.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Tickets Now on Sale for the Aviation Roundup: we've been writing a lot about the Aviation Roundup on August 22 and 23 and its cast of performers including the USAF Thunderbirds. Tickets are now on sale on the Aviation Roundup website.
- Job Opportunities: The always-helpful staff in our HR Department asked that we remind our blog readers that we still have open and also at the soon-to-open Sharkey's. Your best bet: stop by the HR office at the Carson Valley Inn or call 775-783-6663.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the first set of three kitchen utensils . . . a total of 12 such utensils will be given away on Wednesdays in April. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Chocolate Shoppe Baskets (what else on Easter week!), ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament and more.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: George Pickard is here tonight, American Made entertains Thursday thru Saturday and Jonathan "JB" Barton takes the stage Sunday through Wednesday nights. The NCAA Final Four Games? Of course we'll hold the entertainment 'til the end of the game on Saturday and Monday nights and we'll also take your action in the Race & Sports Book!
- We Thought You Should Know: Thursday, April 2 is Tell a Lie Day which we find puzzling since today, April 1, is the day on which people tend to stretch the truth in order to create foolery! Saturday is Pillow Fight Day but you can avoid such a skirmish buy exercising the privileges of Walk Around Things Day which is also on Saturday. Finally, Tuesday, April 7 is No Housework Day . . . so just plan on spending the day at the Carson Valley Inn.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!