First Two TJ's Corral Concerts Feature 3 of Top 100 Country Songs of all Time
About this time last year Rolling Stone Magazine assembled a list of the Top 100Country Songs of All-Time. Two of these will be performed in TJ's Corral on Friday, May 1 by Merle Haggard: #8 'Mama Tried' (1968) and #65 'Okie from Muskogee' (1969). Gary Allan brings #81 to TJ's on Thursday, June 4 with 'Songs About Rain' (2003). Thanks to your overwhelming support, the Merle Haggard concert is sold out. However, tickets still remain for the Gary Allan Concert so don't miss out! Check our webpage for information on all the 2015 concerts scheduled so far for TJ's Corral.
Sharkey's to Open This Week!
If everything goes right we should have Sharkey's Casino reopened sometime this Thursday or Friday (much less vague than in the past weeks) with the Jackpot Café restaurant to follow fairly soon (still a little vague, huh!). As soon as the doors are open to the public, we will update this blog posting and also put the word out on our Facebook and Twitter accounts so that everyone knows!
We're really excited about the rebirth of Sharkey's Casino and hope you will share in our enthusiasm after you see all the work that has been accomplished. Here are some things to look for:
- The brick walls you will see inside were covered with other materials but
now reflect some of
Original Sharkey's Table
- Most of lighting fixtures from Sharkey's were reused, but with a lot of cleaning and polishing.
- Some of the old bar and restaurant stools were refurbished and others are new. Can you tell which are which?
- The counter-top in the Jackpot Café was built from old tables that were found around Sharkey's. Some of the more decorative tables were thoroughly cleaned and shined and are in use in the Silver Dollar Bar area and in the Jackpot Café main dining area.
As you visit Sharkey's Casino in the coming week, here are some things to ponder:
|Looking from Bar to Counter Area|
- The Silver Dollar Bar has a few hundred inlaid silver dollars. . . Any idea how many?
- As many of you know, the bulk of Sharkey's memorabilia was sold at auction a few years back by the folks who bought the casino from Sharkey's family. We actually bought back a few of the signs that were sold at that auction. Look around and see if you can figure out which fit this category.
- If you enter from the south door, that's the parking area where the Aladdin Flower Shop/Pyrenees Hotel used to be, you'll see some charring on the brick. What past event caused this charring?
Some of the many behind-the-scenes improvements you will not be able to see:
- The plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems are all new.
- The building has undergone structural seismic stabilization. There was probably a simpler way to say this, but the three-word quasi alliteration rolled off of the architect's tongue so smoothly we just had to use it!
- The refrigeration unit for the many beers on tap at the Silver Dollar Bar is in a most unusual yet near-to-the-bar location . . . can you guess where?
$5.99 Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs is Camera Shy! Katie's $5.99 Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs is in the final round of Breakfast Wars, another food roundup by carsonvalleytimes.com. The finalists were invited to a photo shoot and . . . well our stellar special declined because, no matter which angle you point the camera, there's just no way to make a chicken fried steak look glamourous in a picture! So, let's try this description: The Chicken Fried Steak is a hearty portion, the Biscuits are made fresh, the Gravy is as tasty as it gets and the Two Eggs are served the way you order them. It tastes fantastic, it fills you up and it's one heck of a bargain . . . . but it just won't sit still long enough for a picture! Nevertheless, this hearty special would sure appreciate your vote by 6 p.m. this Thursday, April 23!
- The Sertoma Music & Craft Fair is this Saturday and Sunday, April 25 & 26 in and around
- Mother's Day is less than three weeks away and we guess there's a few of you who still haven't made your plans. So, just a quick reminder about our Mother's Day Weekend Package that includes hotel accommodations for Friday and Saturday, May 8 and 9 plus $80 in food certificates for any of our restaurants!
- Our Food Truck Festival is coming up on Saturday, May 23 with a variety of offerings from different food trucks plus beverages, free live entertainment, and a giant inflatable obstacle course for the kids. We're adding new trucks as the event gets closer, so check this page for the latest information.
- World War II Bomber Rides will be available at the Minden-Tahoe Airport, located just five minutes from the Carson Valley Inn, on Monday through Wednesday, June 1 – 3. Click here for more information on this incredible display of World War II aircraft by the Collings Foundation.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the third set of three April kitchen utensils. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Earth Day themed baskets from Heartstrings Gallery and Gifts, ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament and more.
- Roasted Stuffed Quail in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Roasted Stuffed Quail with prosciutto, wild rice and plum port glaze . . . Served with tableside-tossed salad and vegetable for $28.00.
- Mike's Horses Last Weekend: Whiskey Ticket won the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne Race Course and Chasintheaces posted a third place finish at Santa Anita.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Jonathon "JB" Barton is here tonight, Midnight Express entertains Thursday thru Saturday, and George Pickard takes the stage Sunday through Wednesday nights. You can also catch the NBA Playoff games, NHL Stanley Cup matches, horse racing and Major League Baseball!
- We Thought You Should Know: Today is both Earth Day and Jelly Bean Day – how does that make sense? Tuesday is Prime Rib Day . . . but you can celebrate it this this Friday or Saturday night in Katie's when we feature a half-pound of slow-roasted prime rib of beef with au jus, twice-baked potato, creamed horseradish sauce and choice of soup or salad for $9.99. Hungrier? Step up to a ¾-pound cut for $12.99 or a full pound cut for $15.99.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!