|Beau Bridges in "The Wizard" Over 25 Years Ago|
We mentioned last week that our friends at carsonvalleytimes.com were working on a story about The Wizard, a movie filmed in part in the Carson Valley over 25 years ago. The story came out a few days ago and it is worth a read with lots of quips and anecdotes about the stars who were in our Valley and who stayed at the Carson Valley Inn during the local filming. The picture above shows Beau Bridges throwing a shovel in a scene filmed in front of the historic old Minden Inn on nearby Esmeralda Street.
Reasons to Celebrate at the CVI This Week!
- Friday is Martini Day. That's a darn good reason to remind you that we offer a slew of specialty martinis in CV Steak. A great way to unwind after work or round of golf . . . and a nice starter to an enjoyable meal or evening with friends!
- Saturday is Ice Cream Soda Day. Katie's makes it easy to jump on this one as we make ice cream sodas (and shakes) to order!
- Monday is Onion Rings Day and not that onion ring lovers need an excuse, but if you are such a person, you can celebrate by enjoying an order of battered onion rings in Katie's. You can also substitute onion rings for just a dollar more on any of our items (Katie's Menu or Bar Bites) normally served with French fries.
- Rodney Atkins on Saturday, June 27 is next up in TJ's Corral. With six No. 1 hits and four
- Tanya Tucker on Friday,July 3 is trending to an advance sell-out so please don't delay in getting your tickets. And since we're going to ask her to say "Nev-AD-a" and not "Nev-AH-da," let's also be correct in calling her Tanya correctly . . . the "tan" rhymes with "can."
- 38 Special on Thursday, July 23: Hmmm . . . we just put these tickets on sale a week ago and based on the sales in just seven days if you want to be "Rockin’ Into the Night" with 38 Special we suggest you act soon as you don't want to be left out thinking "If I’d Been the One" who acted sooner I might've actually gotten tickets to this one!
Bodines Casino Offers a Freebie! The end of this rainbow must have touched General Manager Brent's heart 'cause he came up with a freebie for a couple of our readers this week. Brent has a Free Large Pizza at Bodines for the first two people who comment correctly below as to how the original Bodines Restaurant (before Bodines Casino was built) got its name.
Gunslingers and Horses in Sharkey's Thursday? Good grief, we certainly hope not! However, there is a western theme for the second Thirsty Third Thursday Wine Walk this Thursday and Sharkey's is one of the stops. Sponsored and produced by our friends at Main Street Gardnerville, this week's TTT is certain to draw quite a crowd after rain dampened the opening Wine Walk in May. Be sure to register starting at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at either Big Daddy's Bicycle Shop near the Minden-Gardnerville line or at the Town of Gardnerville office across the street and two blocks south of Sharkey's.
|New Mural in Sharkey's Showing the Old Golden Bubble|
Sharkey's Jackpot Café Daily Specials
The first lineup of daily specials is now being served in the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's. These run from 11 AM to 10 PM daily and all are just $7.99!
- Monday Chicken Piccata Pasta: Chicken Sautéed in a white wine, lemon juice, and caper butter sauce tossed in penne pasta.
- Tuesday Meatloaf: Savory meatloaf served with mashed potatoes and vegetables topped with gravy.
- Wednesday Chicken Pot Pie: Tender cooked white meat and vegetables topped with flaky pastry.
- Thursday Beef Stroganoff: Tender chunks of beef sautéed with mushrooms and onions in a creamy sherry sauce served over egg noodles.
- Friday Fish and Chips: A generous serving of fresh fried cod and French fries served with tartar sauce and lemon.
- What About Saturday and Sunday? We're working on it!
Tin Cup Story with Local Tie?? OK, so this one is a long shot. Golf's U.S. Open is this weekend and if you saw the movie Tin Cup you know there is a nationwide qualifying process for any golfer up to the grueling task. In May, Jared Becher of Reno survived a sudden death playoff to become one of the first round qualifiers at the Golf Club at Genoa Lakes. He then went to the early-June Sectional Qualifier in Newport Beach and finished second in a 36-hole event held at Big Canyon Country Club and Newport Beach Country Club. This weekend, he's playing in the U.S. Open. Wonder if his girlfriend looks like Rene Russo and his caddy looks like Cheech Marin?
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the third in the set of June canisters. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Chocolate Shoppe Gift Baskets, ladies-only drink specials and more.
- Bison Friday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Braised Buffalo Short Ribs, one and a half pounds of American Bison short ribs braised and slow cooked, finished with natural pan sauce, served with fresh vegetable, choice of potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked) and tableside tossed salad all for $29.00. Sundays in CV Steak we feature one pound of King Crab Legs for $32 and that also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: George Pickard is here tonight, Midnight Express entertains Thursday through Saturday nights and Phil Prunier appears Sunday through Wednesday nights. You can also watch and bet Golf's U.S. Open, Major League Baseball games, NASCAR and horseracing!
- Pineapples Getting High in Poker Room: Oops, got the words mixed up. Was trying to say we'll be holding our first monthly Crazy Pineapple High Tournament in our Poker Room tonight at 7 PM. $50 buy-in with no re-buys. If you need a refresher on how this works, simply stop by the poker room and one of our supervisors or dealers will give you a quick demonstration.
- HR Made Me Say This: Our current job openings list has been updated and the details are on this page on our website or call our Job Hotline at 775-782-9711, #3.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!