- 38 Special Concert Tickets on Sale at Noon Today - for $38! Some like country/Southern music sounds. Some like rock 'n' roll. Nobody blends these two sounds together into Southern Rock better than 38 Special and tickets go on sale at noon today for the 38 Special Concert on Thursday, July 23 in TJ's Corral here at the Carson Valley Inn.
- The Davisson Brothers Band and Loving Mary Band in Concert this Friday: Two up and coming country acts certain to provide a fitting kick-off to the Friday night festivities of Carson Valley Days Weekend. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and the concert starts at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are just $22.50 and you can buy them online or call 775-783-6606.
- Tickets are also available for the Rodney Atkins Concert on Saturday, June 27 and the Tanya Tucker Concert on Friday, July 3.
- 50 Biggest Country Stars: We found a list posted yesterday of one person's opinion on the 50 Biggest Country Stars. TJ's Corral has hosted three of them so far, one more coming this year and, who knows what the future will bring . . .
- Coming Up: So, (beware of sentences starting with "So"), if you happen to catch the CMT Music Awards on TV tonight, watch carefully and inquisitively. If everything goes right, we will soon be announcing another concert later this year featuring one of tonight's nominee's.
Four Ways to "Experience" Pizza at Bodines:We can describe it in words - barely effective unless your brain is highly capable of reading a description and converting it into a mouthwatering image. We can show you a picture - that's certainly a little better. We can show you a video like the one above that was one of the five live broadcasts aired on Lake Tahoe Television last Thursday morning. Or you can just come over to Bodines and enjoy one firsthand. We included a description and one picture in this blog a couple of weeks ago. Now we suggest you look at the video above. Then, move on to the fourth step and visit Bodines, order a pizza just the way you like it, and enjoy it while it's piping hot! Piping hot? Anyone know the origin of this term?
Horse Racing: Our heartfelt congratulations go out to Bob Baffert, trainer of Triple Crown winner American Pharoah. Bob has also trained all of CVI owner Mike Pegram's horses over the years. Speaking of Mike's horses, his colt Gimme Da Lute won the 3rd race at Santa Anita last Sunday.
Crazy Pineapple High Tournament: We mentioned this briefly last week and now for the details. Starting next Wednesday, June 17 at 7 PM we'll be holding a monthly Crazy Pineapple High Tournament in our Poker Room. If you are not familiar with this game, the concept is fairly simple: it is basically the same as a Texas Hold 'em game except at the beginning of each hand you get three cards down instead of two. Then, after the flop (that's the three face up cards that follow) you have to toss one of your down cards before the hand proceeds with the final two up cards. This one has a $50 buy-in with no re-buys. If you need a quick refresher on how this works, simply stop by the poker room and have one of our supervisors or dealers give you a quick demonstration.
Who Stayed at the CVI??? It's been over 25 years since the movie The Wizard was filmed. And as many longtime Carson Valley residents know, part of the filming was done just a few blocks from the Carson Valley Inn on Esmeralda Street in "downtown" Minden. You also might remember that the stars (and their parents in the case of the kids) and some of the crew stayed here at the Carson Valley Inn during the local filming. Our friends at carsonvalleytimes.com are putting together a story on that chapter in Carson Valley history - if you have memories of those few weeks (and there were some "goings-on"), get in touch with Joey@carsonvalleytimes.com as soon as possible as the story is just about finished.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the second of the set of June canisters. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for World Market gifts, ladies-only drink specials and more.
- Venison Friday, King Crab
Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this
week is Roasted Rack of Venison with Cherry Port Demi. This is a 4-bone venison
rack served with fresh vegetable, choice of potato (au gratin, baked, or a
one-pound, twice-baked) and tableside tossed salad all for $32.00. Sundays in CV Steak we feature one pound of King
Crab Legs for $32 and that also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Jonathan "JB" Barton is here tonight, Just Us entertains Thursday through Saturday nights and George Pickard appears Sunday through Wednesday nights. You can also watch and bet on the NBA Finals, NHL Stanley Cup Finals, U.S. Open Golf, Major League Baseball games, NASCAR and horseracing!
- Sharkey's Memories: We heard some great stories and learned a lot of interesting trivia when we gathered memories at Sharkey's last Friday. As a reminder, if you have any Sharkey's memories or stories you'd like to share, please send them to us by email. As anyone who has been to Sharkey's already knows, we cleaned and are reusing many of those incredible tables with various inlaid items. Do you know who made these tables?
- Tourney Winners: Our Monthly Blackjack tournament last night paid a prize pool of $1225. Joy Trott won the tournament and $613. Second Place was Richard Leigh for $367 and the $245 Third Place money went to Malcolm Treasure. Our next event is Tuesday, July 14.
- Three Reminders:
- Say "Make it a double!" at the Cabaret Bar or CV Steak Bar and we'll do so for just $2 more! The fine Print: Cash sales only - all cocktails but not beer or wine.
- Sharkey's Happy Hour runs from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. daily with $2 Domestic Draft Beer or House Wine plus $5 Doubles on these favorites: Vodka (Absolute & Sky), Rum (Captain Morgan & Bacardi), Whiskey (Jack Daniels & Jameson), Scotch (J.B & Dewers) and Tequila (Cuervo).
- We Are Hiring! Job openings at the Carson Valley Inn are on this page on our website or call our Job Hotline at 775-782-9711, #3.
- Because We Want To Make Sure You Know: Today is Ball Point Pen Day - at least it's something to write home about! Sunday is Flag Day - make a note now to fly your American Flag on Sunday. Monday is Smile Power Day and we'll give you something to smile about: earn 125 Points on Monday and then swipe at the casino kiosk for a Free Food Credit for $5 to $50 valid over the next six days. Tuesday is both Fresh Veggies Day and Fudge Day. To us, this is the dietary equivalent of driving with one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator. However, we appear to have a corporate stance as we do sell Chocolate Fudge Cake (Full and Mini) and Chocolate Fudge Brownies at the bakery counter outside Katie's!
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!