If you read our blog last week, you know that this Friday is the day we are asking you to come share your Sharkey's memories with us in person at Sharkey's Casino. We would like to hear what you remember about Sharkey Begovich, the Cow Pasture Boxing events across the street in what is now Heritage Park, the Serbian Christmas celebrations that produced long lines going down Gilman Avenue, the characters who stopped in to Sharkey's, late-night happenings in the casino, morning gatherings in the restaurant, etc. Just stop by this Friday between 2 and 4 PM or between 5 and 7 PM. We'll buy you a cup of coffee or a drink, make you comfortable and get your story recorded. Then we'll gather the tales together and start building the memory bank to preserve the history of Sharkey's. If you can't make it this Friday, send us an email to SharkeysCasino@gmail.com and we'll get in touch to make other arrangements.
Triple Crown History this Saturday?
|Bob Baffert & Mike Pegram|
And Speaking of Drinking . . .
- Make Mine A Double: It's the end of a long hard day and you just sat down at the Cabaret Bar or CV Steak Bar at the Carson Valley Inn and your first urge is to lay down a $20 bill, order your cocktail and tell the bartender to "make it double!" Hey, we understand. So as soon as we see your cash and hear you say "make it a double," we will do so for just $2 more! This applies to all cocktails but not to beer or wine. No one wants to read qualifying "fine print" in a blog, so we'll state it in regular size print: the "make it double!" offer is for paid drinks only.
- Sharkey's Happy Hour Is Quite the Deal: Sharkey's new Happy Hour runs from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. daily with $2 Domestic Draft Beer or House Wine plus $5 Doubles on these favorites: Vodka (Absolute & Sky), Rum (Captain Morgan & Bacardi), Whiskey (Jack Daniels & Jameson), Scotch (J.B & Dewers) and Tequila (Cuervo).
Mike Tice Charity Golf Tournament Update! Thanks . . . the Golf Tournament is sold out but there are still tickets available for the Crawfish Feed in TJ's Corral on Saturday evening, June 20. Just $40.00 includes quite a bit: draft beer "'til it runs out," the Crawfish, blackened chicken, dirty rice, hush puppies, sweet corn casserole and red beans . . . plus music by “Decades.” You can buy tickets at our hotel desk or contact Jeri Johnson at 775-771-6432 or 775-783-7037. Proceeds stay right here in our community and benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch!
- Ladies Poker Tournament Sunday: Our monthly ladies poker tournament is this Sunday, June 7. Get a free refresher course in "Poker Tournaments for Ladies 101" with Sharon at 3 p.m. The the Ladies-Only No-limit Texas Hold'em Bounty Tourney starts at 4 p.m. under the direction of Derek Johnson with the usual friendly assistance of Sharon & Jimmy.
- Crazy Pineapple Coming Soon: Sure sounds like a new app for your iPhone, doesn't it! Actually, it's another monthly event being cooked up by the crew in the poker room and they promised we will have more information for next week's blog.
- Gary Allan on Thursday June 4: We opened up a few more seats for the Gary Allen Concert this Thursday night.
- The Davisson Brothers Band and Loving Mary Band on Friday, June 12: Last week Loving Mary played the American Idol Finale with Steven Tyler in front of 8 million viewers. He debuted his new single "Love Is Your Name" featuring three vocalists from Loving Mary: Marti Frederiksen, Rebecca-Lynn Howard and Suzie McNeil.
- Rodney Atkins on Saturday, June 27: Did you know Rodney always makes time for volunteer opportunities amidst his touring schedule, as well as for visits to the Holston Methodist Home for Children in Greeneville, TN, where he was adopted as a small child.
- Tanya Tucker on Friday, July 3: Did you know Tanya once had a relationship with Glen Campbell?
- 38 Special on Thursday, July 23: Tickets will be going on sale sometime next Wednesday, June 10. We will have a definitive time in next week's blog which publisheses on at 7 a.m. on June 10.
Who Said There Aren't Any Jobs in Carson Valley! Do you have experience as a Restaurant Supervisor in a casino environment? How about experience as a hotel front desk clerk or valet/bellman? Ever been a food server? These are just a few of over a dozen positions we have open at the Carson Valley Inn and we invite you to apply! All of the openings and more about our benefits are on this page on our website. Or, call our Job Hotline at 775-782-9711, #3.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the first of the set of June canisters. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for Delasant Skin Care baskets, ladies-only drink specials and more.
- Braised Lamb Shank in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Braised Lamb Shank with Pearl Barley Risotto, braised and slow cooked with herbs, Cabernet and mustards - served with a pearl barley risotto, vegetable and tableside-tossed salad for $28.00. As a reminder, Sundays in CV Steak we feature one pound of King Crab Legs for $32 and that also includes tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato.
- Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge: Greg Austin is here tonight, Thursday brings an evening of rock and blues with the local Markleevillians Band, modern country and classic rock by the John Dawson Band takes over the Cabaret on Friday and Saturday nights and Jonathan "JB" Barton entertains Sunday through Wednesday nights. You can also watch and bet the NBA Finals, NHL Stanley Cup Finals, Major League Baseball games, golf's U.S. Open, NASCAR and horseracing including this Saturday's Belmont Stakes!
- Because We Want To Make Sure You Know: Sunday is Chocolate Ice Cream Day. We're not sure why this is even necessary because people who like chocolate ice cream consider every day Chocolate Ice Cream Day!
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit "0" when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!