New Month, Some New Food Specials: Each month we make some minor changes to the dinner specials offered in Katie's at the Carson Valley Inn and the Jackpot Café in Sharkey's Casino. This month is no exception. For a full list of the nightly dinner specials in Katie's, please check this link. As for Sharkey's, the Sunday through Thursday specials are at this link and our Friday and Saturday night special is at this link.
World Famous Gardnerville! Remember way back at the beginning of 2015 when plans for the revitalization of Sharkey's were approved? OK, we really didn't expect you to remember, but we do. Part of that original approval was for two murals on the outside of Sharkey's, both welcoming visitors to historic Gardnerville. Over the last few months, these murals were painted by our architect Larry Henry. "Smaller" prints were made and are hanging in Sharkey's: one is on the back wall of the Jackpot Café and the other is on the Gilman Street wall of the casino. Meanwhile, the digital files were sent away to a company that specializes in turning these images into exterior signs that will withstand the elements. The big murals finally arrived along with all of the mounting hardware and the installation started yesterday. While both present the seemingly same Gardnerville message, many of the little images are different - see if you can recognize some of the scenes and individuals.
On the Outdoor Entertainment Front
- Austinpalooza: Popular South Lake Tahoe Ska/Reggae band Lavish Austin's House website has more information on their mission. Please join us as to help keep this incredible community service going strong!
- Lee Brice our mainstream advertising for the Jagermeister Presents Lee Brice concert in TJ's Corral on Friday, September 18 started this week and with it the expected surge in ticket sales. Fortunately, it appears that many of our concert regulars already have their tickets – and this is a good thing because the current trend clearly indicates that this event will be a sellout prior to September 18. Get tickets through our website, at our Hotel Desk or by calling 775-783-6606.
|River Road This Weekend in the Cabaret Lounge - Free!|
Cabaret Lounge Entertainment – No Cover, No Minimum – Free! Jonathan Barton performs tonight, River Road entertains Thursday thru Saturday nights, the Marklevillians cover Sunday night, Steve Lord pops in for Monday night and Rob West takes the stage next Tuesday and Wednesday. River Road is four highly-talented & experienced musicians with backgrounds in Country, Pop, Rock, R&B and Jazz. Together, they deliver a show that is sure to please all tastes in music. You may have caught River Road in hot spots such as Toby Keith's in Las Vegas, Cadillac Ranch in Apple Valley, CA; Gilly's in Reno and the Brandin' Iron Saloon in San Bernardino, CA. Country music singer/songwriter Rob West currently performs mostly throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Mike's Horses: Mike had two winners out of three horses running at Del Mar last week. Midnight Edition won the eighth race on Thursday and Gimme Da Lute won the El Cajun Stakes on Saturday. While Gimme Da Lute has had a pretty good career so far with six wins in nine starts, the colt is certainly the exception. We have to wonder if Mike sometimes contemplates why he simply didn't name some of his other horses You Keep Da Lute! If we mentioned all the out-of-the-money finishes you'd again realize that horse racing is not a business for the faint of heart!
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive a free gift and coupon for tonight's ladies-only drink special. There are also ladies-only raffles and hot seat drawings for Chocolate Shoppe Gift Baskets.
- Duck Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Special this week is Grilled Duck Breast with fresh herbs for $28, Saturday's is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. All these specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Race and Sports Book: This week watch and bet Horseracing, Major League games, Pre-Season NFL Football, Regular Season College Football and Sunday's Bojangle's Southern 500 NASCAR Race. A few items of note:
- College Football is taking full advantage of no NFL regular sason games this weekend by offering games on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday . . . plus a Monday Night Game featuring Ohio State vs. Virginia Tech!
- Our first 2015 Football Parley Cards will be out this week (probably Wednesday afternoon) featuring mostly (perhaps all) college games.
- If you are into futures betting on who will win this season's Collegiate Championship, you might check the various odds this week . . . "things" may change after the first weekend of play!
- Lots of Stakes Races at Del Mar the rest of this week through Monday as the Summer Meet winds down.
Because We Feel Like Mentioning It:
- Thursday is Welsh Rarebit Day which we bring up only because we know there are number of people who will click on the link just to find out what Welsh Rarebit really is (we had to)!
- Friday is Hug Your Boss Day. We only bring this up because it might be a good way to prepare for Boss Employee Exchange Day on Monday. If you get into any of this, let us know how it works out for you. And if it doesn't go well, we suggest you be prepared for Work like a Dog Day next Wednesday!
- Saturday is Be Late for Something day. Like this regular occurrence really needs
a special day!