Harley Giveaway Very Close! This Friday and Saturday night are the last weekend opportunities to qualify for the Two Free Harleys or $10,000 Cash drawings happening next Wednesday night, September 30. Whatever your age (21 or over, of course) and whatever your likings, you could either fulfill a lifelong dream by winning a brand-new Harley-Davidson, or bolster your bank account with $10,000 in cash. The drawings are next Wednesday: 5 & 7 PM at Bodines Casino and 6 & 8 PM at the CVI.
Best of Carson Valley! Between the Carson Valley Inn and Sharkey's Casino we had over 20 "in the money" finishes in the recent Best of Carson Valley voting conducted by The Record Courier. We didn't do anything on-site or through our blog or multiple social media outlets to promote this voting. Best we can remember, we didn't even mention it was going on. So, the list below was without any “solicitation.” With over 100,000 "vote early, vote often" votes tallied – and after pouring thru the results in the magazine that came out in last Friday’s paper – the below list is how we fared. Thanks very much to all of you who helped us garner this impressive list . . . and thanks also to The Record Courier for choosing to hold their luncheon honoring the winners today in our Valley Ballroom:
- Best Fine Dining, CV Steak
- Best Dinner, CV Steak
- Best Steak, CV Steak
- Best Overall Restaurant, CV Steak
- Best Place to take a Date, CV Steak
- Best Casino, CVI
- Best Loose Slots, CVI
- Best Video Poker, CVI
- Best Sports Book, CVI
- Best Place to Hit a Royal, CVI
- Best Lodging, CVI
- Best Appetizer, CV Steak
- Best Sports Bar, CVI
- Best Casino, Sharkey’s
- Best Loose Slots, Sharkey’s
- Best Video Poker, Sharkey’s
- Best Place to Hit a Royal, Sharkey’s
- Best Breakfast, Katie’s
- Best Brunch, Katie’s
- Best Place to Take Out of Towners, CVI
- Best Sports Book, Sharkey’s
Mike's Horses Do Well! Speaking of finishing in the money, Mike Pegram, owner of the Carson Valley Inn, Sharkey's Casino and Bodines Casino, ran two horses at Los Alamitos last weekend and brought home two winners! Mike's 3 year old Filly Girl Downstairs won the 6th race on Thursday and his 2 year old Colt Toews On Ice won the Barretts Juvenile Stakes on Saturday. Both winners were ridden by jockey Martin Garcia and trained by Hall-of-Fame Trainer Bob Baffert.
Poker Room Musings: The Friday night Poker Room hot seat drawings for a free wheel spin have been changed to high-hand-of-the-hour. We’ll now be awarding a free spin to whoever has the highest hand of the previous hour at 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 p.m. on Friday. This change caused us to take a look at the Poker Ladder and we discovered something interesting: The cut off is coming up on September 30 to determine the top 50 point earners for our October drawings totaling $2400 cash (this is not the interesting part in case you are scratching your head). As of yesterday, there were dozens of CVI poker players who, while below the cut off line, were within one wheel spin of jumping into the top 50. This will make more sense if you look at the details of all our poker promotions, tournaments and special games at this link.
Genoa Candy Dance Arts & Crafts Faire This Weekend: Northern Nevada’s largest arts and crafts faire is this weekend in downtown Genoa and, as in past years, the Town of Genoa is running a shuttle service connecting the Carson Valley Inn and the Candy Dance. Click for information on shuttle times and cost. For those staying at the Carson Valley Inn this weekend, and golfing at either of the Genoa Lakes Golf Courses on Saturday or Sunday, you’ll have to go the “long way” which makes it a 30 minute trip instead of 11 or 12 minutes.
Cabaret Lounge Entertainment – No Cover, No Minimum – Free! John Palmore performs tonight, After Dark entertains Thursday through Saturday nights, NFL Football takes control on Sunday and Monday Nights and Jonathan "JB" Barton appears next Tuesday and Wednesday. After Dark plays favorites from the 60’s through today with lots of 70's hits. This high-energy rock 'n' roll band will get you out of your seat and on your feet with their continually growing song catalog and a fun-loving following. Jonathan "JB" Barton has shared the stage with a few legends including Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. His love for a variety of musical styles is apparent in his selection of favorites from Van Morrison, CCR, Hank Williams, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Eagles and many more.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive a free gift and coupon for tonight's ladies-only drink special. We also have ladies-only raffles and hot seat drawings for Tahoe Toffee Gift Baskets.
- Elk Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Special this week is Grilled Elk Medallions with a brandy cherry demi for $30.00. Saturday night its Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. All these specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Race and Sports Book: This week you can watch and bet Horseracing, Major League Baseball games, NFL and College Football, and Sunday’s NASCAR Sylvania 300 at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. The PRO PK’EM jackpot is at $2,826 on this week’s progressive parlay card. The NFL game we’re watching with the most interest this week? The Raiders and Derek Carr visiting the Browns and Johnny Football!
- 45 Years of Monday Night Football: First MNF Game was September 21, 1970. Do you remember who played? Browns and Jets (quarterback then?)! Who were the announcers?
- Because We Feel Like Mentioning It:
- This Thursday is Punctuation Day. Which we bring up only because we deal with it every week in writing this blog.
- Friday is One Hit Wonder Day which music journalist Wayne Jancik defines as "an act that has won a position on the national pop Top 40 just once." How many one-hit wonders do you remember? Do you remember the name of Steve Martin's only Top 40 hit? How about the only hit by the Baha Men?
- Monday is Drink Beer Day and, just in case you’re not sure how to celebrate, we have dozens of draft and bottled beers available at the Cabaret Bar and CV Steak Bar here at the CVI, the Sports Bar and the Casino Bar at Bodines Casino, and the Silver Dollar Bar at Sharkey’s Casino.
- Tuesday is Coffee Day - which just might come in handy if you drink too much beer on Monday! Job's Perk has is straight up or as you favorite specialty coffee drink.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!