Are You Cool and Collected or a Screamer? By now, you've probably seen our outside sign or read the post on Facebook: Theresa won a $15,196 slot jackpot last week. Her luck wasn't running very well that day so she and her husband decided to have something to eat. When they walked out of Katie's she had $20 in her pocket and decided to give her favorite machine one more whirl. On the third spin, all the Quick Hit Platinum symbols lined up on one of the Quick Hit Platinum machines just outside the Cabaret Lounge and she did just what she told everybody she would never do when she finally won her big jackpot – she let out a scream! What will be your reaction when you hit a big jackpot? Will you be "cool" and maintain that "I meant to do that" attitude? Or, will you whoop it up so the whole casino knows? Our preference? Let it all out!
There IS Such A Thing As A Free Lunch! Our 5th Annual Free Spaghetti Lunch for all Veterans and Active Military is coming up on Veteran's Day, Wednesday, November 11. The event runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in our Valley Ballroom and the entry process is simple: Veterans and active military personnel simply present your military ID for entrance, and lunch for you and your guest is on the Carson Valley Inn! Don't have your ID? Tell us a little about your service to our country and we'll welcome you anyway! We honor your service to our country with a brief ceremony starting at 11 a.m. There will be a Veteran's Day colors presentation by the Color Guard from the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center, the National Anthem will be sung by Melissa Dru and an invocation will be given by Fr. Doroteo Rojas-Serrano of St. Gall’s Church in Gardnerville. The free spaghetti lunch includes fresh tossed salad with choice of ranch, Italian or thousand island dressings; spaghetti with choice of marinara sauce or Bolognese (meat sauce); garlic bread and assorted cookies.
We're Spicing Things Up! No, not that kind of spicy . . . We're talking about a Spiced Pumpkin Mousse Trifle, a special seasonal dessert available nightly in CV Steak through December 26. We stopped by the bakery earlier this week and watched Tracy put that day's supply together. She starts with a small made-in-house ginger spice cake that conveniently snuggles into the bottom of the serving glass. That's topped with a specially prepared pumpkin mousse. Another ginger spice cake is then added, this one's shaped more like a cookie, and then another layer of pumpkin mousse. A swirl of whipped cream topped by pumpkin spice finishes off this yummy seasonal specialty. Be sure to leave room for it!
Were You Alive Then? Franklin D. Roosevelt was president until he was succeeded by Harry S. Truman in April after Roosevelt succumbed to a lingering illness. World War II was at its height. The Detroit Tigers won the World Series against the Chicago Cubs, who haven't made it to the World Series since. And, the Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce was formed. It all happened in 1945 setting the stage for the Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce 70th Gala Celebration in our Valley Ballroom next Saturday, November 14. What’s on tap for this special event? Why not find out firsthand by contacting the Chamber (775-782-8144), buying a ticket and joining in on what will certainly be a most informative, interesting and nostalgic evening!
Saturday, Employee Costume Contest Was Fun! If you were around and wondering who won prizes in our employee costume contest last Saturday, here’s how it came down: The winner for day shift was Teresa Most (Fancy Pumpkin) in Job's Perk. Second place went to Gina Cranmer, Samantha Loewe and Jennifer Cano (Cat in the Hat and the Butterfly Girls) from Katie’s. On swing shift, Bonnie Cosgrove (Evil Queen pictured at left) from Slots won first place. In second place were Logan Ambrose, Allyson Herkenrath and Alexandra Parker (Cat In The Hat and Thing 1 and 2) from Katie’s. Thanks to all of our employees who participated!
Race and Sports Book:
- This week you can watch and bet NFL and College Football, Horseracing, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey and Sunday’s NASCAR AAA Texas 500 at the Texas Motor Speedway.
- The PRO PK’EM jackpot is up to $3,806 on this week’s progressive parlay card. These crazy upsets (did you really pick the Raiders to destroy the Jets?) make it seemly tough to pick all the games straight up. But, if you do, you can multiply a $5 bet over 700 times!
- Games our sports book crew is following with interest this weekend include LSU/Alabama and Clemson/Florida State on Saturday and Raiders/Steelers on Sunday.
- Yesterday at our Sports Book LSU was 7-1 to win the NCAA Championship and Alabama was 4-1. Might consider one of those futures bets at the same time you are placing a wager on the game itself.
- Here’s something to ponder: The Broncos play the Patriots on Sunday, November 29. The possibility exists that both teams could be 10 – 0 that day. Sure would make for one of those “biggest game of the year” claims! And at least one person has calculated the odds of this happening - read about it here.
Cabaret Lounge Entertainment – No Cover, No Minimum – Free! George Pickard performs tonight; Chad Bushnell entertains Thursday thru and Saturday nights, NFL Football is on Sunday and Monday Nights and George Pickard returns next Tuesday and Wednesday. Born and raised in Red Bluff, California, Chad Bushnell has opened for big names in the industry including Scotty McCreery, Lee Brice, Tracy Lawrence, Neil McCoy, Billy Currington, Mark Wills, Josh Gracin, Mark Chesnutt, Jerrod Neimann and Tyler Farr. Chad has an album out titled “You Can Drive My Truck” that was produced by his lead guitar player Casey Doss. He was a Top 10 finalist in the American Country Star contest in Nashville and won the Horizon Award. He recently released his latest single “My Little Redneck Girl” and is working on a new album with Johnathan Frizzell from CMG Records in Nashville. He also won the Best of the North State Band award in Northern California for 2015.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Pssst – Want a Job? Our HR folks posted a couple of new openings on our website in the last few days. Why not check it out – we always have room for good people!
- Mike’s Horses: Hoppertunity finished second in the Hagyard Fayette Stakes at Keenland last Friday. We congratulate Bob Baffert, trainer of all of Mike's horses, who also trained American Pharoah, winner of last Saturday's Breeders' Cup Classic
- Tonight is Ladies’ Nights and the first 150 ladies to sign up receive a Free Trinket Box and ladies-only drink specials. There are also Bath & Body Works Gift Baskets for hot seat prizes
- Venison Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Special this week is Roasted Rack of Venison with cherry brandy demi for $32.00. Saturday night its Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. All these specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Blackjack Tournament Tuesday: November 10 is the second Tuesday of the month and that means it’s the night for our Monthly Blackjack Tournament. Just a $25 buy-in gets you into the action and all the buy-in money and any rebuys go to a pool that is dispersed among the top three finishers. It’s a great entertainment value and the banter between players is often amusing in itself! Check at the “pit” for details and join us next Tuesday night!
- Because we feel like mentioning it:
- Thursday is Men Make Dinner Day. We have three properties and four restaurants so we're really not advocating that you stay home on Thursday and that the men make dinner for their wives. We read through the supposed rules for this day (hey, if it's on the Internet it has to be true!) and we technically don't see anything that says men can't take women out for dinner on this special day. So, here are a few suggestions for Thursday night: the $19.00 Sunset Dinner Special in CV Steak (arrive between 4:30 and 5:30 PM), the Thursday night $6.99 Corned Beef and Cabbage special in Katie's, Pasta Night at Bodines Casino or the $7.99 Beef Stroganoff special in the Jackpot Cafe at Sharkey's Casino.
- Friday is Nachos Day and we offer a couple of different choices to help you celebrate:
- Bodines Bodacious Nachos - tortilla chips smothered with homemade chili, cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream.
- Katie's Macho Nachos with refried beans, cheese sauce, sliced jalapeños, diced tomatoes, green onions and black olives. Add chicken breast or beef for a small extra charge.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!