|Michael McDonald |
added to TJ's Corral Concert Schedule
Two More Summer TJ’s Concerts Announced: Michael McDonald has joined our TJ’s Corral concert lineup for this summer - he’ll be here on Friday, August 18. From ‘70s-era Doobie Brothers classics such as “What A Fool Believes” and solo hits like “I Keep Forgettin’” through two highly-acclaimed Motown albums, genre-busting guest spots and innovative concept shows, the five-time Grammy Award winning McDonald is both timeless and ever-evolving. Also just inked as we were putting this blog edition to bed: Aaron Watson and Clare Dunn will both appear on Friday, June 16. Aaron Watson’s album “Vaquero” is in the Top Ten on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart. Clare Dunn’s hits include "Move On" and "Tuxedo." We’re getting close on a couple more – so watch our new blog every Wednesday at 7 AM. WAIT . . . one more just leaked in right before this "published." Looks like Lee Brice may be coming back this year . . . we'll run down the date and get it in next week's blog!
Nashville Nights Showcase March 31: Singer-songwriter Alyssa Micaela has a talent as big as Texas and a personality to light up the whole U.S.A. Her debut single, “Getaway Car,” generated more than 3 million streams during its first few weeks of release. As a performer, she opened several shows for Willie Nelson last fall and has also opened for other popular touring acts including Eli Young Band, CAM, Jon Pardi, Aaron Watson and Sam Hunt. Now immersed in music for her first (full-length or EP) album Alyssa will be performing with a trio at the CVI with those songs including “I’m In a Bar” and “Cowboys Like That,” along with her goose bump-inducing, bilingual cover of Roy Orbison’s “Crying” and others. It’s happening Friday, March 31 starting at 8:30 PM in the Valley Ballroom – tickets are $15 at the Hotel Desk or call 775-783-6606.
About the Bodines Casino Name: To bring you up to speed if you missed last week’s blog, Bodines Casino got its name from a restaurant named Bodines that was previously located on the same property. Last week we asked if anyone knew how that restaurant named Bodines got its name? Here’s what we know: There were three partners, Shel Lindsey, Joe Masini and Dave Cinciala. For the longest time we thought their restaurant got its name from one of their dogs by the same name. Turns out this is more folklore than truth. Apparently Shel worked on the oil rigs in his younger days and the guys on the rig started calling him “The Big Bodine.” As the trio put together the original restaurant they were contemplating a name and when Shell told them about his old moniker the decision was made! Now, does anyone know how Sharkey’s Casino got its name – just kidding . . . everyone knows the answer to that question!
It’s About the Food!
- Friday is National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day. We’re serving this traditional favorite in Katie’s from 11 AM to 9 PM on Friday . . . comes with Irish red-skinned potatoes, braised carrots and horseradish cream sauce for $6.99.
- Staying with the Irish Theme: Our Friday special in CV Steak is an Irish Shepard's Pie made with Antelope for $25.00.
- Sunday is National Poultry Day. You can catch the full poultry spectrum for less than $20.00 in Katie’s. Start with an early breakfast of Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs served with biscuit gravy – it's a generous plateful at $5.99. At lunch time, come back for the Big Bird - sliced roast turkey, bacon, tomato and Jack cheese on grilled sourdough plus fries for $7.99. Then go out for a long walk and come back for the Chandler Chicken Dinner - southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes and cole slaw for $5.99.
Basketball Madness: 64 teams in the Men’s NCAA Tournament, 32 teams in the NIT Tournament, 16 in the CBI Tournament and yet another 26 in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament. That’s over 130 teams to bet – some more than once after they win!
- Still not sure on your NCAA Bracket? Here’s a link to Microsoft Bing’s March Madness bracket predictions, powered by “intelligent machine-learning technology.” It’s a pretty slick tool that lets you make your picks and is updated based on new information. We still like picking based on team mascot, team colors and famous alumni!
- We’ll have a special NCAA Parlay Card out today for many of the First Round games this Thursday and Friday.
- This week you can also bet the NBA, Pre-Season MLB, NHL and the NASCAR Camping World 500 at Phoenix International Raceway. Futures on the board include winners for NCAA Basketball Championship, Masters, NBA Championship, NHL Stanley Cup and World Series.
- Place your sports bets at the CVI, Sharkey’s Casino or Bodines Casino and collect your winnings at whichever location is closest at the conclusion of the game! Race Book wagers can be made at CVI and Bodines.
Saying Goodbye to Winter: Tuesday is the Spring or March Equinox, more commonly called the first day of spring, at least in the northern hemisphere. However, after this winter, we really like this method of celebration better: Snowman Burning Day!
Free entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge:
Quite a variety this week with expanded hours for the extra partying on Friday: Helena and the Bear tonight, Just Us Thursday and Saturday, Justin Lee (4 PM) and The Blues Monsters (8 PM) Friday, Hans Eberbach Sunday and Monday and Adam Bergoch next Tuesday and Wednesday.
There’s free entertainment every night in our Cabaret Lounge - click here to see who’s scheduled to appear in the coming weeks
- Chocolate Shoppe Gift Baskets
- $80,000 Pot-O-Gold Giveaways Friday: $25,000 in Cash & Freeplay Guaranteed between CVI and Bodines Casino – CVI Drawings at 5, 7 and 9 PM with a chance to win up to $2,500.
- St. Paddy’s Day on Friday: Stop in for $2 draft beer specials (the 16-ounce size!), free Cabaret Lounge entertainment starting at 4 PM and, of course, the Pot-O-Gold giveaways! And by the way, don’t call it St. Patty’s Day . . . it’s St. Paddy’s Day! Want to know why, or what other terms are acceptable? Click here. Might as well “get it right” this Friday!
- 4X Points Saturday: That’s quadruple the benefits for your play!
- Free Sweatshirt Monday: Earn 125 points on Monday and receive a Free CVI Sweatshirt . . . plus you keep the points!
- Penny Progressive Over $77,000: this Progressive Jackpot can only be won on one of the Triple Red Hot 7's slots at CVI, Sharkey’s or Bodines.
- Poker Room: A
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!