|Alastair Green Cranking Up for Saturday's Free Blues Concert |
in TJ's Corral. Photo Credit: Roy Gilbert
Our 33rd Birthday Celebration: this Saturday, August 5:
- Blues: The evening’s Free entertainment has been assembled by Buddy Emmer who has been producing a Blues Night at the Center Stage Lounge in Harrah’s Tahoe for the last few years and also co-hosting “What It’s Like to Wake up a Blues Musician Before Noon” on KRLT 93.9 The Lake radio for over three years. The leader of The Buddy Emmer Blues Band, Buddy is calling on his many years of west coast blues experience and contacts to bring in Alastair Greene and Maxx Cabello, Jr. Greene is fresh off a seven-year run with the Alan Parsons Project and he is featured in this article on the Tahoe Onstage website. Maxx Cabello, Jr. has built a solid reputation in the bay area blues community and he is profiled in another article on the Tahoe Onstage website.
- Brews: $2 Beer and $3 Wine.
- BBQs: $1 Hot Dogs, $2 Pulled Pork Sandwiches with slaw,
- Free For the Kids: Ice Cream, Velcro Wall, Bounce House and Critter Riders.
- What Time: The food, drink and kids fun starts at 5:30 PM ('til about 8) and the free Blues rumble in at 6 PM.
And don’t forget these two upcoming concerts:
- Michael McDonald Concert on Friday, August 18: Think Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan and an artist with one incredible solo career that is continuing with a 2017 sold-out national tour!
- Ronnie Milsap Concert on Saturday, August 26: Think "Smoky Mountain Rain", "I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World","(There's) No Gettin' Over Me" and over 40 other top-10 Country hits from the 70s and 80s. This one is a fundraiser for The Children's Cabinet.
|Love This Picture Taken By |
Brad Comen of The Record Courier
We don’t usually look back, but … today we do for these few items:
- Last Saturday’s sold-out Marshall Tucker Band concert provided some spectacular views. Sure, the sunset over the Sierra range was exceptional, but this picture taken by Brad Coman of The Record Courier was truly a classic when posted as the cover photo on The Record Courier’s Facebook page with the caption “The sky exploded as The Marshall Tucker band entertained the crowd at the CVI.
- We’ve mentioned the Mike Tice Invitational Golf Tournament in this blog before. Even though the event was in June, the amount raised this year was announced, ironically, about the same time NFL training camps started last week. The total was just over $300,000 and you can read about how this impacts the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada Carson Valley Branch in this article.
- Yesterday, August 1, Sharkey Begovich would have celebrated his 91st birthday. Good cause to tip our hats to this Carson Valley legend and namesake of Sharkey’s Casino. Also, yesterday would have been Stew Stewart’s birthday. Thank you again, Stew, for all you did to put entertainment “on the map” at the Carson Valley Inn!
|Popular New Cash Locomotive Progressive Added|
Chugging Along the Casino Wall
Every once in a while our blog office phone rings and the “Big Boss’” extension shows as the calling number. Happened again a few days ago and he again “reminded” us to walk through the casino once in a while to see what’s new so we can mention it in the blog. Sure enough, we crawled out of our hole, went upstairs, and this bank of new Cash Locomotive Slots was being installed. Turns out it’s a $10,000 Progressive and it is already quite popular. Only problem: darn near impossible to get a decent picture with the black frames, black chairs, mirror in the background and bright lights on the machines themselves!
|Tracy Miller and a Tray |
of Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Let’s Talk Beer and Cookies
- Thursday is India Pale Ale (IPA) Day. We will leave the meaning of the name IPA to a dreary winter day for discussion. For now, we’ve got you very well covered with a full spectrum of IPA offerings as we serve a different selection at each of our three locations: CVI, Sharkey’s Casino and Bodines Casino.
- Friday is International Beer Day. If you survive Thursday’s IPA Day, come back on Friday and start on the many different draft and bottled beers we serve at our three locations. Hint: for the widest selection of draft beers, belly up to the Silver Dollar Bar at Sharkey’s and start trying all the different beers on tap. Better bring a driver because you’ll probably find the inlaid silver dollars too fuzzy to count by the time you get to the last offering.
- Friday is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. We bake them daily and offer them for sale in both Job’s Perk and at the Katie’s Bakery Counter. We got our Chief Baker Tracy Miller to actually smile for this picture . . . Something she doesn’t always have time to do while churning out well over 3500 large cookies each month – plus many more thousands of cakes, pies, desserts, pastries and more.
We’ve Moved Reno 10 Minutes Closer to the CVI!
Work with us on this one ‘cause we’re kinda exaggerating but this is great news: We really didn’t physically move Reno closer to the CVI per se . . . but it can now be as much as 10 minute shorter of a commute depending on the time of the day thanks to today’s opening of the last 3 miles of the I580 Carson City bypass. We’re not advocating you leave 10 minutes later to get here - just suggesting it will be a little less frustrating and more leisurely drive.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge:
Bill Wharton tonight, the Voodoo Cowboys Thursday thru Saturday, Steve Lord Sunday and Monday and Tyler Stafford Tuesday and Wednesday. Bill Wharton’s smooth, melodic tone comes out in his vast repertoire from old classic country thru modern country, pop to classic rock, blues and jazz. Voodoo Cowboys are the life of the party with their dance-inducing, hard drivin' style whether playing country music (and not the cryin' in your beer stuff) or an impressive selection of classic rock ‘n’ roll. Steve Lord presents an evening of oldies, country, pop, blues, jazz, soul and rock 'n' roll. Tyler Stafford has quickly become a staple in the Northern Nevada music scene.
In the Casino
- VIP Gifts Thursday: free VIP Gift Giveaways at 2, 4, 6 and 8 PM every Thursday through August!
- 4X Points Friday: That’s quadruple the benefits for your play all day every Friday in August!
- Friday Cash and Free Play Giveaways: Drawings at 6, 8 & 10 PM for Cash & Free Play, up to $500!
- Saturday All Cash Giveaways: Drawings at 6, 8 & 10 PM for cash on the spot.
- Sunday Ladies-Only Poker Tournament: Our Monthly Ladies-Only Poker Tournament starts at 4 PM with refresher lessons open to all the ladies at 3 PM..
- Monday Blackjack Tournament: Sign-ups (just $25) start at 5 PM for our Monthly Blackjack Tournament with all the buy-in and re-buy money going out as prizes (often over $1,000 total. The cards start flying at 6 PM and play continues ‘til we have the top three finishers figured out!
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
- Sports and Race Book:
- NFL Preseason Football starts this Thursday with the Cowboys vs. Cardinals in the NFL Hall of Fame Game. Start getting ready for Fantasy Football and parlay cards at our sports book!
- This week we're also taking action on Major League Baseball, Horse Racing, Canadian Football, WNBA and the NASCAR I Love New York 355 at The Glen on Sunday.
- Futures on the board include winners for the World Series, NASCAR Championship, 2018 Super Bowl, 2018 NCAA Football Championship and the 2018 NBA Championship.
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM!
- Our Friday special in CV Steak is Grilled Duck Breast – a Maple Leaf Farms duck breast marinated with fresh herbs, grilled to medium rare-medium doneness with natural duck jus, and served with mushroom risotto and vegetable for $28. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!