A Message from Michael McDonald
Some entertainers become a little jaded or reclusive after many years in the entertainment business – especially when some of those years included one or more stints “at the top.” We found out earlier this year that Kenny Loggins was definitely not one of those types. And now we are convinced that Michael McDonald isn't either. It started when we read this brief comment Mimi M. made on one of our Facebook postings about the upcoming Michael McDonald Concert on Friday, August 18: “Mike is one of THE nicest people. His show is incredible from musicians to interaction with the audience. To be able to see him in this venue will be a treat for all! ♡” Mimi's comment about Michael being such a nice guy got us thinking – suppose he, like sometimes happens with some of the younger country artists, would send a short “selfie” type video invitation for his Northern Nevada fans? We sent the polite and obligatory request to his booking agency – usually an armor shield around some of the bigger name entertainers. No immediate response. A few days later, the above video arrived. They made no requests for further information, no "we’ll have to get a couple of approvals" sidesteps, no “blah, blah, blah” red tape . . . just this warm video. How nice a guy is Michael? Why not come see for yourself by latching on to some of the remaining tickets for his concert and joining us to take an incredible walk down memory lane!
|Justin Lee Presents a Free Country Concert this Saturday in TJ's Corral|
She Got Pulled on Stage at a Music Video Shoot and Became Famous . . .
. . . But we'll get back to that further below. What started as a concept to shoot a music video by Justin Lee has turned into a full-fledged country concert this Saturday night in TJ's Corral and it's all free courtesy of Justin Lee! The beat starts at 7 PM when Colt Ainsworth, the same DJ featured at Night in the Country starts spinning tunes. At 7:45 PM, The Whiskey Heroes - who have also appeared twice at Night in the Country - jump on stage for a 30 minute set of their most energetic tunes. After a 10 minute equipment change, Justin Lee and his band crank up a full set of his most popular songs. The director and crew then take over to segue into shooting the concert scenes for the video for Justin's new song "Like I've Fallen" which debuts on iTunes this Friday. The additional scenes will be shot in Smith Valley over the coming weeks and they revolve around a character played by Ashley Espin, Miss Reno Rodeo 2014 and Miss Rodeo Nevada 2015. Now, back to the barely twenty-something girl who got pulled on stage in the shooting of Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark video back in 1984: It was Courteney Cox and this video scene launched her on a career that never looked back. We're not saying this will happen to you on Saturday night . . . But, who knows!
And don’t forget - the Ronnie Milsap Concert is coming up on Saturday, August 26 - another trip down memory lane as Ronnie performs his many, many top-10 Country hits from the 70s and 80s. This fundraiser for The Children's Cabinet wraps up our “official” concert year so please join us!
- Are you a middle child? Well so is the Carson Valley Inn! Let's band together and celebrate Middle Child Day this Saturday! The three area casinos owned by Mike Pegram and his partners are Bodines Casino in Carson City, the Carson Valley Inn, and Sharkey's Casino. If you take them in the order they were built: Sharkey's opened in 1971 in the location of the previous Golden Bubble, the Carson Valley Inn opened in 1984 and Bodines opened in 2008. Mike's involvement started with Bodines in 2008, the purchase of the CVI in early 2010, and the opening of the totally remodeled Sharkey's in 2015. Either way, the CVI is the “middle child!” We’re not sure how all this plays out when a fourth “child” comes on the scene later in 2017 - guess we’ll all see!
- On a simpler note, Saturday is also Filet Mignon Day. We offer a 9-oz cut in CV Steak with or without Béarnaise sauce or demi-glace and with your choice of toppings such as Marsala Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, Roasted Garlic or Blue Cheese.
- Tuesday is Lemon Meringue Pie Day. We make ‘em nearly daily in our bakery and you can enjoy a slice for dessert or as an afternoon treat in Katie’s or grab a whole one (not so fast, that’ll be $12) at Katie’s Bakery Counter!
|Alastair Greene (l) and Dave Clark (r) |
in TJ's Corral Last Saturday
Shocking Turn of Events at Carson Valley Inn
Our friend Tim Parsons at Tahoe Onstage wrote that headline for the story he posted the morning after our Blues, Brews and BBQ’s 33 Birthday event last Saturday night. In our opinion, those words perfectly connect the look on Alastair Greene’s face in the photo above with the “electricity” provided by Mother Nature. We offer our sincere appreciation to the many hundreds of you who took shelter when the storm came upon us and then returned in seemingly more numbers when the weather danger cleared. What a night!
A Few Tidbits:
A Few Tidbits:
- $1,500 in prize money was paid out in our monthly blackjack tournament last night. Don't miss next month's tournament on Tuesday, September 12,
- The Hot August Nights Poker Run stops in Minden Park this Thursday with the bulk of the fun peaking around lunch time. Plenty of classic cars, food, music and fun!
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Tyler Stafford tonight, Greg Austin and his band make their CVI Cabaret Lounge debut Thursday thru Saturday, John Palmore Sunday and Monday and Patrick Major Tuesday and Wednesday. Tyler Stafford has quickly become a staple in the Northern Nevada music scene. Greg Austin is a down home, straightforward and to-the-point-of-the-heart singer, songwriter and musician. His first CD of original songs, aptly titled “Greg Austin,” features 10 of his best originals to date. Greg entered his song “On Her Mind Again” in the TouchTunes Breakout Band 2014 Contest. His song was chosen along with almost 500 others to be included on 60,000 TouchTunes jukeboxes Nationwide. Greg is preparing to enter the studio in Nashville to start work on his 2nd CD project, entitled “Southern Breeze” which he plans to release later this year. With a commanding stage presence, a great country voice and top-notch songwriting to back it up, Greg Austin is sure to have a winning formula for success in the Country Music Industry. Musical director for the late "Louis Armstrong," John Palmore is an accomplished singer and keyboardist who has worked with Jackie Wilson, Mary Wells, ZZ Hill, Wilson Pickett, Joe Simon, Percy Sledge, The Platters and other "name" artists. Patrick Major performs his own mix of original guitar and vocals combined with rock classics from the last four decades.
In the Casino
|CVI Marketing's Charlotte Wilson|
Shows Two of the Hot August Night Themed
Ladies' Night Prizes for Tonight
- VIP Gifts Thursday: free VIP Gift Giveaways at 2, 4, 6 and 8 PM every Thursday through August!
- 4X Points Friday: That’s quadruple the benefits for your play all day every Friday in August!
- Friday Cash and Free Play Giveaways: Drawings at 6, 8 & 10 PM for Cash & Free Play. Eight winners each drawing and one guaranteed $1,000 winner Friday night!
- Saturday All Cash Giveaways: Drawings at 6, 8 & 10 PM for cash on the spot. Eight winners each drawing and one guaranteed $1,000 winner Saturday night!
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
- Sports and Race Book: We are taking action on the Major League Baseball, Horse Racing, Preseason NFL Football, the PGA Championships, WNBA and the NASCAR Pure Michigan 400 at The Michigan International Speedway on Sunday. Futures on the board include winners for the World Series, 2018 Super Bowl, 2018 NCAA Football Championship and the 2018 NBA Championship.
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM!
- Our Friday special in CV Steak is Grilled Elk Medallions: two 3 oz. elk tenderloin medallions grilled and finished with the demi and sundried cherries for $30. Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!