Carson Valley Inn Gets Another Sibling!
|We're talking a major facelift at Slot World|
We often refer to Sharkey's Casino and Bodines Casino as "sister properties" of the Carson Valley Inn. Accepting that term, our family is now "expecting" a fourth sibling, Slot World on Highway 50 East in Carson City. Mike Pegram and his partners recently acquired the property and the business. Extensive renovations are now underway and as was the case when Mike acquired the Carson Valley Inn, just about every area, inside and out, is being refurbished, remodeled, refreshed, or otherwise renewed. Both the restaurant and the casino will retain their "local" charm, new air-handling equipment is being installed, and if everything goes as planned, Slot World will be open for business by Thanksgiving weekend! While the majority of employees from the "old" Slot World will return, we will be looking for additional staff members. If you're interested, please stop by the Job Fair in the Slot World restaurant area on Wednesday, October 25 from 2 to 7 PM and Thursday, October 26 from 9 AM to 2 PM. Who knows, you may even be able to get a peek at some of the remodeling progress!!
After putting up 77 points and gaining over 1100 yards in the last two weeks the Nevada Wolfpack football team is starting to create the offensive excitement touted by Coach Jay Norvell when he took over the program this year. You'll be able to meet and listen to Coach Norvell at one of just four 2017 Gritiron Lunches in our Valley Ballroom this coming Monday, October 23. Coach will go over his team’s obvious improvements over the course of the year, show and review the highlights of this Friday's home game against the Air Force Falcons and answer questions. The cost is just $20 for the buffet luncheon and the full program. Reservations are not necessary and we hope you can make it. The doors open at 11:45 AM and the coach will start his presentation at 12:15 PM.
Winter Clay Shoot - Signup Now
It's the most common three word sequence in Sporting Clays shooting: Pull, Bang, #&%@! You'll hear this often at our Winter Sporting Clays Shoot on the fourth weekend in February when participants will enjoy two days of sporting clays plus food and beverage functions, drawings, prizes and more. This is one of our most enjoyable events because it attracts shotgun enthusiasts of all levels, from those few who compete for the Top Gun prize to the many (dozens) recreational shooters or beginners who are assured a good time and also have a chance at winning money and, at least amongst those attending, a temporary and somewhat humored modicum of notoriety. The field is limited and entry forms are available now on our website. We sure hope you can make it!
Mostly Food – Mostly Sweets!
- Today is Chocolate Cupcake Day. As luck would have it, earlier this week we brought back made-in-house cupcakes to Katie’s Bakery Counter and chocolate cupcakes are available for $1.99 each or four for $6. While the specific decorations and flavors change from time to time, chocolate cupcakes are a staple item. So, unless we happen to be out of them on a given day due to high demand (chocolate cupcakes are quite popular ya know) they’re waiting for you at Katie’s!
- Tomorrow is National Seafood Bisque Day. That sounds like too broad of a term for us so we'll focus on just one seafood bisque: the Lobster Bisque in CV Steak! It’s rich and creamy with hints of brandy and sherry wine and it tops a list of impressive CV Steak appetizers which also includes French Onion Soup, Ahi Tuna, a Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, Escargot in Garlic Butter . . . There's more, but we’re sure you're starting to get the picture!
- Friday is Waiter’s Day which is really a misnomer because, as you'll read if you click on the link, it was designed to honor both male and female "front of the house" food service personnel from maître d’s in fine restaurants to coffee shop baristas, from diner waitresses to cocktail bar mixologists and everyone in between. We've seen what these fine folks do firsthand and, frankly, we're glad we get to write this blog at our pace and not have to serve as the constant communications lightning rod between the customer and the folks in the back of the house. Please, if you're out dining or drinking on Friday, give a little extra “tip” of the hat to your servers, bus people, bartenders, etc.
- Saturday is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day. We haven't seen one at the Katie's Bakery Counter since about this time last year, so we checked with our Pastry Chef Tracy Miller and she said "very soon." When we pressed a little, she let it slip that she is shooting for November 1. Seems like cupcakes are the bakery's priority right now!
Football and Other Sports Info
- Our Guys Picks: the boys went 3-3 this past weekend. Greg was 1-1 and this week he's going with the home team Colts at +3 against the Jaguars and the Patriots at -3½ hosting the Falcons. Alan wiped out at 0-2 so use caution in following his picks this week which are the Steelers at -6 against the Bengals and the 49ers at +6 versus the Cowboys. Mike nailed both his picks like a pro last week thanks to the spread and this week he’s going with over 56½ in the Colorado/Washington State game and Louisville at +6 ½ visiting Florida State.
- Enjoy $2 Draft Beer during all Televised Pro and College football games at the CVI - and our staff will bring your bar bites order to you right at your seat.
- The Progressive Pro PK'EM is at $3,215 this week. Cards are just $5 each!
- NFL hats, tee shirts, Budweiser merchandise and other prizes are given away in drawings during Monday Night Football at the CVI. Also, three tickets are distributed each week for the Ultimate Tailgate Party package which will be given away during the Monday Night Football game on December 18.
- Monday Night Football Grid in our poker room every week – we start with $160 each week and add in any unclaimed prizes from the previous week. Last week all four prizes were claimed so this coming Monday we’re giving away $40 for each of the first three quarters and the final score . . . earn entries during live poker games ‘til all squares are claimed.
- Place Your Bet: NBA Basketball started back up this week so that gets added to an already wide list of sports on which we are taking action: the Major League Baseball Playoffs, Pro and College Football, NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, Horse Racing and the NASCAR Hollywood Casino 400 at the Kansas Speedway this Sunday. Some of the futures on the board include winners for the World Series, 2018 Super Bowl, 2018 NCAA Basketball and Football Championships, 2018 NBA Championship and 2018 NHL Stanley Cup.
- Sports tickets can be cashed-in at Guest Services when the Sports Book is closed. Horse Race tickets can be cashed only when the Race and Sports Book is open. Winning sports bets placed at any of our three casinos (CVI, Bodines and Sharkey’s) can be cashed at any of the three locations.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge:
Tyler Stafford tonight and Thursday, John Dawson Band Friday and Saturday, NFL Football on Sunday and Monday and Patrick Major Tuesday and Wednesday. Tyler Stafford has quickly become a staple in the Northern Nevada music scene. The John Dawson Band entertains with a variety of modern country and classic rock. Patrick Major has his own mix of original guitar and vocals combined with rock classics from the last four decades. Scheduled start times for entertainment may be altered this week due to the Baseball Playoffs.
In the Casino
|Free Collapsible Strainers for the First 150 Ladies Tonight|
- October !
- VIP Gifts Thursday: free VIP Gift Giveaways at 2, 4, 6 and 8 PM Thursdays through October!
- Friday Giveaway Drawings: Join us at 5, 7 & 9 PM for up to $10,000 in Cash and Free Play!
- 5X Points Saturday: That’s five times the benefits for your play all day this Saturday.
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM!
- Our Friday special in CV Steak is Syrah Braised Bison Osso Buco for $34 (did you know that Ossobuco or osso buco is Italian for "bone with a hole?") Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!