|This Past Weekend Over Take Tahoe|
Many hundreds of incredible photos of the USAF Thunderbirds and other performers at the Aviation Roundup were posted on various Facebook pages and Community Forums over the last weekend. However, even the most credentialed local photographer didn't have the vantage point of the person with one of the coolest jobs in the world: the photojournalist assigned to the United States Air Force Thunderbirds team! The above picture is one of over a dozen Reno/Tahoe aerial shots in this posting on the Thunderbirds Facebook page.
College Football – So Many Games!
|So Many College Games All at the Same Time!|
Turns out there are 130 schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision of the NCAA. On a weekend without byes, that means over 60 games could be going on, many at the same time. This can present two challenges to the average college football fan trying to watch at home: First, and this applies especially if you have action on a few different games: How do you keep track of multiple games at the same time? Fortunately, this is not a problem in our Cabaret lounge where we can be showing a dozen or more different games all happening simultaneously. You can easily watch four or five games at the same time, just depends on how fast your head turns and how quickly your brain keeps up! Second, let’s say your favorite team is never on conventional TV or cable coverage. If the team you are following has a game available on our satellite service, we’ll do our best to get it on one of the Cabaret Bar TVs! Just check with the bartender and they will futz with the dial while you get started on a $2 draft beer (yes, that special deal is available during all televised college games as well as NFL games!) That same friendly bartender will be glad to order one or more of our Bar Bites for you to enjoy . . . . Just remember where you left your beer when you start scanning seven or eight different games on a Saturday afternoon!
|Uniforms Galore This Saturday in Valley Ballroom|
More Uniforms at CVI This Weekend for a Great Cause
There were lots of uniforms, flight suits and fit young military folks around the CVI last weekend with the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, U.S. Army Golden Knights and the U.S. Navy and Canadian F-18 Tack Demo Teams all staying here for the Aviation Roundup. Expect to see even more of a variety of uniforms and some older and not-quite-as-trim folks at the CVI this Saturday night as Uniform Dress is the theme for this year's annual Bunko for Breast Cancer event in the Valley Ballroom. In addition to military you'll see law enforcement, firefighters, healthcare, construction workers and whatever else the participants' imaginations, creativity and available wardrobes can conjure up! Thanks to an impressive list of raffle prizes, an energetic and enthusiastic volunteer staff at GE, and a worthwhile cause, the event itself is sold out. However you can still help by donating an item or service to be auctioned during the evening (email firstname.lastname@example.org right away) or by making a monetary donation online at www.carsontahoe.com/bunko. 100% of all funds raised at this event are donated to Carson Tahoe Cancer Resource Center enabling them to sponsor the Casting for Recovery Program as well as purchase mastectomy camisoles, wigs and many other medical necessities.
Food and the “Do Over” Concept
- Today is Take Your Parents to Lunch Day. We applaud the many folks we see in Katie's doing this on a frequent basis. For those of us who haven't thought of it in a while, whether it's today or you make plans to do so in the coming weeks, please take your parents to lunch. Naturally we hope you'll choose Katie's here at the Carson Valley Inn, the Jackpot Café in Sharkey's Casino or the restaurant in Bodines Casino.
- Tomorrow is Pulled Pork Day. The nice thing about a blog is we can stretch a little. So, while we don't offer pulled pork at CVI, we do at Bodines Casino for just $4.99 including slaw and fries. AND, while not pork, we do offer three different types of sliders on the Bar Bites menu at the Silver Dollar Bar in Sharkey's: Burger Sliders, Turkey Sliders, and Irish Sliders (corn beef). Try ‘em all!
- Friday is World Egg Day. Whether you like two eggs over easy or a build-it-yourself three egg omelet, Katie's and our sister properties offers a full variety of egg options with many breakfast items served 24 hours in Katie's. Other egg dishes: Eggs Benedict available at both CVI and Bodines plus the Benedict Bowl at Sharkey's Casino. All 3 properties serve French Toast which is dipped in an egg wash and CVI has the Monte Cristo which is also egg battered. Heck, some of our house-made pastries are also topped with a meringue topping!
- Tuesday is Mulligan Day. The
term started with the concept of taking a "do over" shot in golf (read the PGA's explanation)
but is now used in describing any kind of
do-over in life. So, take Tuesday to rekindle an old relationship, restart a hobby that faded away or face and tackle whatever you want to "do
over." Since we most often use the term Mulligan relating to golf around the CVI, here's a reminder that now is
the time to be booking your group’s 2018 golf visit to stay at the Carson
Valley Inn and play one or more of the many golf courses in our area. Just give Greg
a call at 775-783-6615 and he’ll make it easy! As to our favorite depiction of a Mulligan? It’s
the movie The Best of Times with Robin
Williams and Kurt Russell. And there’s
also the song Second Chance by 38 Special, one of the many groups who
have appeared live in concert in TJ’s Corral.
Football and Other Sports Info
|Enjoy a Bar Bite and $2 Draft While You Watch Football|
- Our Guys Picks: Greg reversed his previous week’s come back by going 0 -2 last week. This week he’s taking Navy at + 3.5 at Memphis and the Lions at +5 against the Saints. Alan went 2 - 0 last week and this week likes the Jaguars at -2.5 hosting the Rams and Carolina at -3 against the Eagles. Mike split his picks last week and is especially proud of the Jets win over the Browns in what he referred to as “arguably the game of the day but nobody noticed or cared!” This week Mike likes the Niners at + 9.5 at Washington and Texas at +7.5 vs Oklahoma in the Red River shootout.
- $2 Draft Beer during all Televised Pro and College football games at the CVI - and our staff will bring your bar bites order to you right at your seat.
- The Progressive Pro PK'EM is at $3,099 this week. Cards are just $5 each!
- NFL hats, tee shirts, Budweiser merchandise and other prizes are given away in drawings during Monday Night Football at the CVI. Also, three tickets are distributed each week for the Ultimate Tailgate Party package which will be given away during the Monday Night Football game on December 18.
- Monday Night Football Grid in our poker room every week – we start with $160 each week and add in any unclaimed prizes from the previous week. This coming Monday we’re giving away $93 for each of the first three quarters and the final score . . . earn entries during live poker games ‘til all squares are claimed.
- Place Your Bet: We are taking action on the Major League Baseball Playoffs, Horse Racing, Pro and College Football, NHL Hockey and the NASCAR Alabama 500 at the Talladega Speedway this Sunday. Futures on the board include winners for the World Series, 2018 Super Bowl, 2018 NCAA Basketball and Football Championships, 2018 NBA Championship and 2018 NHL Stanley Cup.
- Sports tickets can be cashed-in at Guest Services when the Sports Book is closed. Horse Race tickets can be cashed only when the Race and Sports Book is open. Winning sports bets placed at any of our three casinos (CVI, Bodines and Sharkey’s) can be cashed at any of the three locations.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Denver Saunders tonight, After Dark Band Thursday through Saturday, NFL Football on Sunday and Monday and Tyler Stafford Tuesday and Wednesday. Inspiring vocalist/guitarist Denver Saunders provides an evening of laughing, dancing and singing along! The high energy of the After Dark Band will have you up and dancing and singing along with the guys! With a great variety of rock and roll, country, blues and R & B their “must not miss” show is filled with the songs you know and love and the energy of the group creates a party just waiting for you to join in. Named “Reno’s Best Songwriter 2013,” Tyler Stafford has quickly become a staple in the Northern Nevada music scene. Scheduled start times for entertainment may be altered this week due to the Baseball Playoffs.
In the Casino
|Free 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set for|
First 150 Ladies Tonight
- October ! As for the stack of bowls - don't worry, they come securely nestled and boxed for ease in carrying home!
- VIP Gifts Thursday: free VIP Gift Giveaways at 2, 4, 6 and 8 PM Thursdays through October!
- Friday Giveaway Drawings: Join us at 5, 7 & 9 PM for up to $10,000 in Cash and Free Play!
- 5X Points Saturday: That’s five times the benefits for your play all day this Saturday.
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM!
- Our Friday special in CV Steak is Medallions of Wild Boar Tenderloin – three medallions sautéed to a medium doneness and finished with a bourbon jus and spiced grapes for $30. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!