KTVN Share Your Christmas Community Food Drive Coming Up
We just set the clocks back last weekend and that’s our signal that the KTVN Share Your Christmas Community Food Drive is only a month away . . . After we get through Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday! The date is Friday, December 8 from 6 AM to 6 PM in our parking area under the electronic marquee sign along Highway 395. Popular KTVN newscasters Arianna Bennett and Ryan Canaday will be returning to the CVI location this year and they’ll be joined by Ky Sisson and a support crew of three. Look for more information in the coming weeks about this incredible day of generosity that benefits the thousands of people in our community served by the Carson Valley Community Food Closet.
Free Veteran’s Day Spaghetti Feed This Saturday
Our 7th Annual Free Spaghetti Lunch for all Veterans and Active Military personnel is this Saturday in the Valley Ballroom. The Douglas High School Jr. ROTC Honor Guard will do the Presentation of Colors at 11 a.m. and Kimora Whitacre will sing the National Anthem. Lunch service will begin immediately after and continue until 2 p.m. Veterans and active military personnel simply present your military ID for entrance, and lunch for you and your guest is on the Carson Valley Inn! If you don't have your ID, just tell the host about your service to our country and they’ll welcome you anyway!
- Join us here on Thanksgiving Day and enjoy our regular menu items in CV Steak and Katie's or feast on one of our Thanksgiving Specials. All the details are in the flyer at this link.
- Enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner at home with our Thanksgiving Dinner to Go for up to ten - details on the menu, ordering, pickup and preparation are at this link.
We Survived a Slot World Walk Thru Yesterday!
A couple of us crawled out of the cubicle in which we write this blog and took a tour of what’s going on with the extensive (an understatement) renovations at our newest sister property, Slot World on Highway 50 E. in Carson City.
- When we pulled up, there were so many cars in the parking lots that we felt for a moment the place was open and business was booming. Once we got inside, we realized that all those vehicles belonged to the many dozens of tradesmen, slot people, purveyors, delivery people, employees in training and others who just looked like they were doing something important.
- We carefully darted between slots, various types of equipment being rolled in, large construction paraphernalia, boxes, crates, and just about every other imaginable piece, part, tool or contraption that goes into making a total renovation happen. While spending more time watching where we were going, we did notice the outline of the large casino-center bar is taking shape and part of the casino was carpeted with slots being placed. The rest of the casino was getting prepped with carpeting stacked nearby and ready to be laid later this week. It was most obvious that the previous interior had been totally demolished and that everything was new!
- The only semblance of order (at least by layman’s definition) was the actual dining area of Betsy’s Big Kitchen where a couple dozen of the just-under-100 employees were going through a training session. The rest are training later this week and next week or are shadowing various positions at the CVI, Bodines Casino or Sharkey’s casino.
- If you've driven by, you probably noticed that the outside of the building has been painted, most of the parking lot areas have been resurfaced and re-striped, and other signs of rebirth are starting to show – with more to come.
- Realizing that the two of us with notepads did not fit into the hurrying and scurrying, we left with a promise to come back early next week, gather more detailed information, and start answering the many questions we’ve been receiving including the most often heard “When will you be reopening?” We actually did get an answer to that one: Look for the reopening of Slot World right before Thanksgiving – if everything goes well. More next week!
Coffee, Ice Cream and Pizza – Repeat if Necessary!
- Today is National Cappuccino Day and Job’s Perk (open 6 AM to 9 PM) offers this Italian coffee drink traditionally prepared with double espresso and steamed milk foam.
- Saturday is National Sundae Day and we have plenty of options in Katie’s starting with our Baby Sundae and continuing on with our full-size selections including the Stuffed Fudge Brownie Sundae, Classic Hot Fudge Sundae, Turtle Sundae and a Banana Split (please, don't get us started on the discussion that went into whether or not a Banana Split is technically a Sundae!)
- Sunday is National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day. We enthusiastically send you up to Bodines Casino where we make hand-tossed pizzas to order and cook ‘em in Bodine’s special high-heat pizza oven. Have it any way you like from plain cheese all the way up to the Works Except Anchovies!
Basketball, Football and Other Sports Info
- Our Guys Picks: The Sportsbook Guys had a perfect weekend with all four of their picks winning. Mike looks to continue his roll with Northwestern –4 ½ vs. Purdue and the Georgia Bulldogs –3 at Auburn. Alan will take Colorado St. +5 ½ vs. Boise State and THE U (Miami) +3 ½ vs Notre Dame. Greg looks to improve his pathetic overall record (including 0-2 last week) by taking Michigan St. +15 at Ohio St. and the Cleveland Browns +15 at the Detroit Lions.
- The First Weekend of March Madness is only four months away . . . and the journey starts this weekend as the 351 NCAA Division 1 teams start play in 30+ conferences with the hopes of being one of the 68 teams making it into NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament also known as March Madness! Here’s an interesting fact: 49 of our 50 states have Division I men’s basketball teams . . . Do you know the one state that does not?
- Enjoy $2 Draft Beer during all televised Pro & College football games at the CVI - plus our staff will bring your bar bites order to you right at your seat.
- The Progressive Pro PK'EM is at $3,520 this week. Cards are just $5 each!
- NFL hats, tee shirts, Budweiser merchandise and other prizes are given away in drawings during Monday Night Football at the CVI. Also, three tickets are distributed each week for the Ultimate Tailgate Party package which will be given away during the Monday Night Football game on December 18.
- Monday Night Football Grid in our poker room every week – we start with $160 each week and add in any unclaimed prizes from the previous week. This coming Monday we’re giving away $85 for each of the first three quarters and the final score . . . earn entries during live poker games this week ‘til all squares are claimed.
- Place Your Bet: Place your bets on Pro and College Football, NHL Hockey, Pro and College Basketball, Horse Racing and this weekend’s NASCAR Can-Am 500 at the Phoenix Raceway. Futures on the board include winners for the 2017 NASCAR Monster Energy Cup, 2018 Super Bowl, 2018 NCAA Basketball and Football Championships, 2018 NBA Championship and 2018 NHL Stanley Cup.
- Sports tickets can be cashed-in at Guest Services when the Sports Book is closed. Horse Race tickets can be cashed only when the Race and Sports Book is open. Winning sports bets placed at any of our three casinos (CVI, Bodines and Sharkey’s) can be cashed at any of the three locations.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Roem Baur tonight, Justin Lee Band Thursday - Saturday, NFL Football on Sunday and Monday and Jonathon “JB” Barton Tuesday and Wednesday. Roem Baur is a multiple award-winning touring songwriter and classically trained opera singer. He ultimately answered the call of rock n' roll and has been featured on the main stage at Super Bowl 50, NBC's The Voice and at CES & SXSW conferences. With roots in small town Yerington, Nevada, Justin Lee brings a new level of excitement to country as we know it. A Night In The Country – Nevada’s largest country music festival – featured Justin on the main stage prior to The Band Perry in 2015. Justin’s new album Where I Belong includes the single Like I've Fallen and here’s a link to the video, part of which was recorded in our TJ’s Corral. Jonathon “JB” Barton’s love for a variety of musical styles is apparent in his selection of favorites from Van Morrison, CCR, Hank Williams, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Eagles and many more. Come out and sing along!
In the Casino
|Free 3-Bottle Nail Polish Set |
to First 150 Ladies Tonight
- VIP Gifts Thursday: free VIP Gift Giveaways at 2, 4, 6 & 8 PM! Be sure to use your INN Club card while playing to qualify for these hot seat drawings.
- Friday Harvest Giveaways Drawings: Join us at 5, 7 & 9 PM for up to $10,000 in Cash and Free Play!
- 5X Points Saturday: That’s five times the benefits for your play all day this Saturday.
- Monthly Blackjack Tournament Tuesday: Our monthly Blackjack Tournament on Tuesday evening kicks all the entry fees and rebuys back to the top three finishers in the form of cash prizes. Signups start at 5 PM, the first round starts at 6 PM and the folks in the Pit (that’s the table games area) can answer questions and help you decide to participate!
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM!
- Thursday's special in CV Steak is the Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday, it's Roasted Stuffed Quail with prosciutto, wild rice pilaf and plum port glaze for $28.00. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!