Did You Work at the CVI in the Eighties While in High School? If so, you were born between 1965 and 1969 and probably turned 50 in the last few years or will soon. So here's a thought for all you now 50-somethings . . . the romantic songs of the Righteous Brothers just may have been playing in the background when you were conceived!! Ask your parents, aunts, uncles and their friends about the Righteous Brothers mega hits "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" or "Unchained Melody." If you get a smile or a blush, why not bring them to our opening concert on May 25, The Righteous Brothers: Bill Medley & Bucky Heard. They'll enjoy the trip down memory lane . . . . and you'll find out more about the romantic sounds that defined the sixties and seventies. For information and tickets on all of our 2018 concerts in TJ's Corral, Click Here. Your best and fastest bet for purchasing tickets is through our website which allows you to see the seating layout map and pick your seat(s) for one or more concerts in one transaction. You can also purchase tickets in-person at our Hotel Desk.
So, Was It a Horse Name or Country Song Title?
Thank You to everyone who entered the contest in last week’s blog. Most of you did so by sending us an email and most of you guessed the following correctly:
- The Whiskey Ain’t Workin’: Listed as #2 of Travis Tritt’s 10 Best Songs in this Billboard article. Catch the video above and join Travis and his band in concert on Friday, June 1 in TJ's Corral!
- Wild at Midnight: One of Mike’s horses - won a race Saturday, March 24 at Santa Anita.
- Once on Whiskey: One of Mike’s horses - won a race Sunday, March 25 at Santa Anita.
- Raise Up Your Glass –and make a toast to all of the times that mean the most: Granger Smith of course!
- A Good Run of Bad Luck: This one’s a Clint Black song but we’ve heard Mike use similar (if not exact!) words when describing most years of his thoroughbred racing experiences!
- I Am the Midnight: Would have made a good name for a horse, but this is also a Granger Smith song.
- Marry for Money: A Trace Adkins Top 20 hit, reaching a peak of number 14 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in April 2009.
- Whiskey Ticket: One of Mike’s horses, the now 6-year old was the winner of the Illinois Derby in 2015.
The contest winner was Kim F. who we are contacting by email. While we can’t predict when Mike’s horses will be running, we can definitively lead you to information on our upcoming concerts in TJ’s Corral on This Page.
Mother’s Day at the Inn
Our Mother’s Day Weekend Package is selling quite briskly and we hope you’ll consider jumping in on some of the remaining rooms . . . a perfect two-night treat for mom, mother-in-law or out-of-town family members visiting you in the Carson Valley over Mother’s Day weekend. The package includes accommodations for May 11 and 12 plus $80 in Dining Credit for use in CV Steak or Katie’s or at our Mother's Day Brunch Buffet (keep reading). Click the link to get all the details on our Mother’s Day Weekend Hotel and Dining Package or call our reservations folks at 775-783-6629. And for Mother’s Day Dining we’ll be offering specials in addition to the regular menus in CV Steak and Katie’s plus a very special Mother’s Day Brunch Buffet in the Valley Ballroom. We’ll have details on these dining options in next week’s blog and, perhaps, on our website before then!
Cake, Beer and Golf!
- Today is Carrot Day. Sure, we have carrots in some of our salads and in items like our Beef or Chicken Teriyaki Bowls. But, the most popular and highly recommended way to enjoy carrots “round here” is the Katie’s Carrot Cake – available by the slice in Katie’s or take home a whole Carrot Cake from Katie’s Bakery Counter!!
- Thursday is Caramel Day. Since we’re on a Katie’s Bakery Counter roll, look for Caramel Cheesecake as the “Cheesecake of the Day!”
- Friday is New Beer’s Eve and Saturday is Beer Day. Both tie back to the end of prohibition and, get this, the first 24 hours of the end of the prohibition saw an estimated 1.5 million gallons of beer consumed! We’re not suggesting that CVI guests try to top that mark this Friday. However, we do have an ample selection of draft and bottled beers at our casino bars so if 100 of us started Friday, and drank four 12-ounce beers a day, seven days a week, we could reach that mark in??? (who cares!) Anyone up for it? Anyone actually figure it out? Anyone just wanna go have a beer?!
- Tuesday is Golfer’s Day: From the lush green fairways of a golf course to the green felt of a blackjack table, golf and gaming have plethora of similarities. Golfers like to gamble on and off the course. Golfers like to spend times with friends & family recounting amazing accomplishments and tough beats. Hence, why over 100 golf groups choose to stay and play at the Carson Valley Inn each year. To double down on your group’s next golf trip, contact our resident PGA Professional, Greg Enholm at 775-783-6615.
- Hot Seats Wednesday: Use your Inn Club card while playing in the casino and qualify for our hot seat drawings from 11 AM to 4 PM . . . win up to $500!
- Free Bingo Thursday: Free bingo game on the hour from 11 AM to 7 PM with cash and free play prizes. Be sure to use your Inn Club card while playing in the casino to qualify.
- Cash & Freeplay Drawings Friday: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM for the drawings for cash and freeplay as we celebrate our 8th Anniversary during the month! You’re earning one free entry into the Friday drawings for every five base points you earn during the month.
- 5X Points Saturday: Inn Club members earn 5X Points all day every Saturday in April!
- Free T-Shirt Sunday: this Sunday, April 8 receive a Free CVI logo T-Shirt when earning 50 base points on the same day - plus you keep the points!
- Free Gift Mondays: Every Monday in April we’re offering a Free To-Go Themed Gift to every INN Club member who earns just 100 base points the same day . . . You get the shirt plus keep the points!
- At the Sports and Race Book: This week you can bet Major League Baseball, NHL, NBA and The Masters. You can also place wagers on Horse Racing and the NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts 500. Futures on the board include the FIFA World Cup Russia™ (June 14 – July 15), NBA Championship, NHL Stanley Cup, World Series, NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships and the 2019 Super Bowl!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday it's Roasted Stuffed Quail with Prosciutto, Wild Rice Pilaf and Plum Port glaze for $28. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino, Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino and Betsy’s Big Kitchen at Slot World Casino.
Denver Saunders tonight and Thursday, The John Dawson Band Friday and Saturday, the Kid and Lisa Sunday through Tuesday. Denver Saunders is an inspiring vocalist/guitarist who is a mainstay with the band Well Dressed Mannequins! The John Dawson Band is a Reno based group of five fun-lovin' guys who just like to entertain with a variety of modern country and classic rock.
The Kid and Lisa are a musical power couple that spans a wide range of popular genres, from soul to blues to pop to standards and beyond.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!