|Our First Four Concerts are Almost Here!|
Concert Ticket Update
We’ve been hinting it was getting close . . . and now all seating tickets for the Clint Black Concert are sold out and we are counting down the remaining Standing Room Only tickets (actually, you don’t have to stand, you can bring a blanket and sit on the grass.) Some of the other concerts are getting close . . . so please don’t miss out. As a reminder, our full schedule includes the romantic sounds of The Righteous Brothers: Bill Medley & Bucky Heard next week on Friday, May 25; Travis Tritt on Friday, June 1; Granger Smith Featuring Earl Dibbles Jr. on Saturday, June 16; Clint Black on Friday, June 29; Ted Nugent on Wednesday, July 4; Trace Adkins on Saturday, July 14; and Creedence Clearwater Revisited on Sunday, August 12. You can purchase tickets through our website which allows you to see the seating layout map and pick your seat(s) for one or more concerts in one transaction. You can also purchase tickets in person at our Hotel Desk. We’ve also added a Blues themed event on June 15 - covered in the next article so please keep reading.
The Carson Valley Music, Food & Brew Fest in TJ’s Corral is the evening kickoff event for the 8th Annual Mike Tice Charity Weekend “For the Kids” and coach Tice invites everyone to attend! Blues Music is the theme and the area’s longest-running blues band, The Blues Monsters start the evening at 4 PM. Formed at Lake Tahoe 27 years ago the “Monsters” are led by dual guitarists Chuck Dunn and Barry Slayton. Northern Nevada’s most active blues group, The Buddy Emmer Blues Band then takes the stage. Buddy is among a litany of blues gunslingers born in Texas, and his influence of ZZ Top is delightfully obvious. Singer Kim Emmer’s voice is dynamic and sultry. After their own set, Buddy and his band then back up three incredible blues talents appearing in succession as the blues jam continues until 10 PM. Tenor saxophone player Nancy Wright has a huge, soulful sound. A 30-year resident of the Bay Area, she’s played with all the greats, including Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King and Albert Collins. Mighty Mike Schermer built a following over 20 years in Northern California before moving to Austin, Texas, in 2009 to join boogie woogie pianist Marcia Ball. As a solo artist, Schermer sometimes explores rockabilly and country areas. Chris Cain is as talented as any contemporary bluesman. His guitar virtuosity and baritone voice spark comparisons to B.B. King.
The $25 admission price includes a beverage tumbler and we'll have more on that plus details on the beer and wine tastings and the food in next week's blog. There will also be a raffle for sports memorabilia and all raffle proceeds go to the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada, Carson Valley Branch.
Sip ‘n’ Shine Third Thursday Wine Walk
Main Street Gardnerville’s first Third Thursday Wine Walk is tomorrow and, as usual, many of the wine walk pathways lead past or through Sharkey’s Casino. All those who sign up and are carrying the official event glass receive a free sampling of wine at Sharkey’s and (please don’t tell anyone because it’s a surprise for this month) a free Sharkey’s T-Shirt while they last! Details on the Third Thursday Wine Walk program including how to sign up are at this link and we do encourage you to click through and read the information. There’s a different theme to each month’s event this year and tomorrow’s Sip ‘n’ Shine theme will bring a proliferation of classic cars displayed in the various lots along Highway 395 in Gardnerville. As you enjoy the evening, keep in mind that the proceeds from the Third Thursday Wine Walks help fund the ongoing revitalization efforts in Gardnerville’s Main Street District.
Bandtastic 2.0 in TJ’s Saturday
Band-tastic . . . a long standing gathering of the different school music groups comprised of hundreds of students from Pau Wa Lu Middle School, Carson Valley Middle School, Pinion Elementary, Jack’s Valley Elementary and Douglas High School. The event thrived for years in the gym at Douglas High School. As the number of participating students increased, so did the number of parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. So, last May the event was moved to TJ’s Corral, Bandtastic 2.0 was born and 1,000 people showed up to watch the various groups perform! The 2018 version happens this Saturday and our entire community is invited to enjoy a free concert featuring the Valley’s music students as they perform on the same stage as over two dozen national touring artists during the last few years. The gates open at 11:30 AM, the concert runs from noon to 1:30 PM and – to emphasize an important point – admission is free!
About Last Week’s Blog and the Coming Week
- Some thoughts - and comments we’ve fielded - after Last Week’s Blog:
- Yes, hockey fans, the penalty boxes did line up with the approximate location of the two bars at TJ’s and yes, it is quite appropriate!
- Thanks for pointing out that not only did the Vegas Golden Knights team not exist this time last year, but many Vegas folks weren’t hockey fans this time last year . . . and this year they are avid fans “competing” to get home game playoff tickets!
- No, we would not think it is cute if concert fans showed their appreciation for a good performance by showering the TJ’s Corral stage with some of the strange things that hockey fans have thrown on the ice. And to the Vegas Golden Knights fans, we apologize in advance that the lead image on the article shows Marc-André Fleury in a Pittsburg Penguins uniform (after all, they did draft him!)
- To the candlestick maker who called: sorry, we really can't use your talents as candles just aren’t permitted anymore. Please consider applying for one of these open positions at the CVI?!
- Motorcycles, Costumes and a Great Cause: it’s all part of the 9th Annual Pinocchio’s Ride for the Tatas this Sunday and the CVI parking lot is one of the stops for the Poker Run portion of this annual fundraiser for Moms on the Run.
- If Human Powered Cycles are More to Your Liking: The Amgen Tour of the California Alps comes through the Carson Valley this Friday along Foothill Road. Catch all the details at this link and watch carefully ‘cause they’re moving pretty fast!
- Thursday is World Baking Day. Great reason to acknowledge the bakers on our culinary staff who, in an average month, produce literally tens of thousands of items for Job’s Perk, Katie’s bakery counter, Katie’s restaurant, CV Steak and banquet functions. These include cookies, lemon squares, brownies, pies (full size and mini), cupcakes, cakes, a variety of pastries, individual desserts, loaves of bread, dinner rolls and more.
- Friday is No Dirty Dishes Day. We’ll make this one easy for you: stop in Katie’s for breakfast, enjoy lunch at the Jackpot Café in Sharkey’s, and come back for dinner in CV Steak at the CVI. Three meals, no dishes for you to worry about!
- Friday is Pizza Party Day, one of nine days designated each year to “honor” pizza in one form or another. Since this one specifically calls out party, we suggest gathering some friends, descending upon some of the tables around the circular casino bar at Bodine’s Casino, ordering a couple of pitchers of beer and a few different kinds of pizza, all cooked to order in Bodines’ special brick pizza oven!
- Saturday is World Whisky Day. On this day last year, we mentioned that the roof had just been hoisted onto the silo building at Buckeye and Hwy 395 as part of the Bently Heritage project. So very much has progressed with this project over the last year! With landscaping just about done and most of the interior work completed, the final tweaking stages are happening as the necessary licensing is secured and plans are starting to develop for what is hoped to be a late-fall opening to the public. We are so looking forward to having this incredible project operating within steps of the Carson Valley Inn’s front door!
- Monday is Waitstaff Day. Nights, weekends, holidays . . . . Over 100 of these folks are there when we need to them in our restaurants at the Carson Valley Inn, the Jackpot Café in Sharkey’s Casino, Betsy’s Kitchen and at Slot World, and the restaurant in Bodines Casino. So on Monday, whether it’s at one of our restaurants or elsewhere, let’s all take a minute and thank them for always being there when we choose to go out for a meal!
In the Casino
- A Different Color Free Camo Hat Thursday: Another Free CVI Camo Hat is yours this Thursday for earning just 50 base points the same day. You get the hat - and it's a different color than last week - plus keep those 50 points. Be sure to use your Inn Club card!
- Cash & FreePlay Drawings Friday: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM this Friday for drawings for cash and FreePlay. You automatically receive one free entry into these drawings for every five base points you earn during May . . . so stop by ‘cause you can’t win if you aren’t here!
- 5X Points Saturday: Inn Club members earn 5X Points this Saturday which translates to five times the build-up of comp value!
- Cash & Freeplay Bash Saturdays: Every Saturday in May from 7 to 8 PM our Cash & Freeplay drawings guarantee ten $100 winners . . . be sure to use your INN Club card while playing in the casino!
- Free Gift Mondays: We have a free gift for INN Club members earning just 100 base points the same day . . . You get the gift plus keep the points!
- At the Sports and Race Book: This week you can bet the Preakness Stakes and other Horseracing, Major League Baseball, The NHL Conference Championships, NBA Playoffs and Saturday’s Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race. Futures on the board include the FIFA World Cup Russia™ (June 14 – July 15), NBA Championship, NHL Stanley Cup, World Series, NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships and the 2019 Super Bowl!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday it's Bison Tournedos Rossini for $35. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino, Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino and Betsy’s Big Kitchen at Slot World Casino.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Roem Baur Duo tonight and Thursday, John Dawson Band Friday and Saturday, Bill Wharton Sunday and Monday and Jeff Campbell Tuesday and Wednesday. Roem Baur is a multiple award-winning touring songwriter and classically trained opera singer who ultimately answered the call of rock n' roll. The John Dawson Band is a Reno based group of five fun-lovin' guys who just like to entertain with a variety of modern country and classic rock. Bill Wharton’s smooth, melodic tone comes out in his vast repertoire from old classic country thru modern country, pop to classic rock, blues and jazz. Jeff Campbell is a vocalist, impassioned songwriter and lifelong musician . . . an emotional, evocative poet with a rock lover’s heart!
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by
calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!