Touring with The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, performing the most played song on the radio in the 21st Century, early recording technology, teaming up with recording industry legend Phil Spector . . . this is all part of the storied past of Bill Medley of The Righteous Brothers and it’s covered in this interview with Bill done last week by Tim Parsons of Tahoe Onstage. The interview also includes Bill’s description of what it was like to be a “blue-eyed soul” artist in the mid-sixties and why he resurrected the act and hooked up with Bucky Heard. We invite you to read the article, reminisce, and react by seeing it all unfold before your eyes this Friday as The Righteous Brothers: Bill Medley & Bucky Heard perform in TJ’s Corral!
Concert Season Is Here!
Concert Season is finally here and we’ve dusted off all the chairs, opened up the permanent restrooms, stocked the bars and tuned up the PA . . . so bring it on! As a friendly reminder:
- The Box Office and Will Call open at 4 PM and the gates open about 45 minutes before the show starts. This Friday’s concert starts at 7:30 PM, the remaining concerts are scheduled to start at 8 PM.
- On the no-no list: Outside food/drinks, chairs, pets, drones, etc. As for smoking: only in the designated area.
- There’s no re-admittance into the concert area after your ticket has been scanned and the shows will proceed rain or shine.
- For handicap accessible information please call 775-783-7766 in advance.
Travis Tritt Next
Looking forward at the rest of the concert schedule: Travis Tritt and his band appear next Friday, June 1; Granger Smith Featuring Earl Dibbles Jr. rolls into town on Saturday, June 16; Clint Black has just about sold out TJ’s Corral for Friday, June 29; Ted Nugent will rock the stage Wednesday, July 4; Trace Adkins arrives 10 days later on Saturday, July 14 (now only standing room tickets available); and Creedence Clearwater Revisited ends a hot weekend on Sunday, August 12. Purchase tickets through our website which allows you to see the seating layout map and pick your seat(s) for one or more concerts in one transaction. You can also purchase tickets in person at our Hotel Desk.
Coming to The Righteous Brothers Concert this Friday night? Check in on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and post a pic of you, TJ’s Corral, Carson Valley Inn or The Righteous Brothers and be entered to win a pair of VIP section tickets to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited at TJ’s Corral on August 12. A random drawing from all entries will take place on May 26 with winner announced on our social media pages.
Let Us Know You're At This Friday's Concert
|Photo by Kathy Port, courtesy of Eagles & Ag|
In our April 18 Blog we mentioned we were aware that our billboard on Highway 395 across from Sunridge Golf Course was still showing the promotion we ran in February and March. We also mentioned that the backstory would come out in time. So, while not dramatic or lengthy, here it is: Turns out a hawk built a nest on the sign structure which put it totally off-limits until the babies hatched and flew away. First, that’s the law – all hawks and owls are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Second, even if we could have convinced the feds the sign could be changed without disturbing the baby hawks in any way (not an option) the territorial nature of hawks made it virtually impossible to get anywhere close to the nest without them mounting a “protective posture.” So, as rightfully they should have done, the sign company waited until the coast was clear so they could proceed under the law and without presenting any danger to their crews. In the process, we learned more than we ever thought we’d know about how long it takes for the eggs to hatch, how long until the babies leave, what hawks eat (when not trying to nibble on sign crews), etc. Anyway, just “one of those things” beyond our control!
A Little Look Back and More of a Look Forward
Last Week at the Inn
- In his CVI appearance last week, Nevada Football coach Jay Norvell was like night and day compared to his 2017 CVI appearance last May. We were impressed with the progress and the outlook for the 2018 season. Read more about the coach’s thoughts in this article posted by Record Courier Sports Editor Dave Price.
- Over 1,000 people attended Bandtastic 2.0 on Saturday and we cannot offer enough positives about how cooperative and helpful the students and teachers were in setting up, tearing down and cleaning up after the event. Kudos to the musically inclined youth of our community and their parents!
- We asked the staff at Sharkey’s about last Thursday’s Wine Walk and . . . well, seems like they all had too much fun! Don’t miss the next Wine Walk on Thursday, June 21 as the Sharkey's Bartenders will have a Free T-Shirt for each participant who stops in during the event.
- What a display of pink, motorcycles and combinations of both at and near our casino entrance during Sunday’s Ride for the Tatas. Definitely not something we see around town on a normal Sunday!
This Week at the Inn
|Have a Burger in Katie's or |
Do a Burger Bar Bite at Your Casino Seat!
- Today is Lucky Penny Day. This gave us cause to take a look at the Penny Progressive Jackpot and it’s starting to get up there at over $54,000! One can only “hit” at one of our four properties: the Carson Valley Inn, Sharkey’s Casino, Bodines Casino and Slot World!
- Friday is Wine Day. In addition to inviting you to peruse the current CV Steak WineList, we also suggest you take a look at our blog from this time last year as we covered how our wine lists came to be and how we keep it up to date.
- Saturday is Blueberry Cheesecake Day. If you like cheesecake and you like blueberries, talk to one of the servers in Katie’s and they’ll fix you up with a dessert to cover both cravings!
- Monday is Hamburger Day. Sure, we’ve got all the special hamburgers in Katie’s and in the restaurants at our other three properties . . . but for a quick burger while playing the bar slots or staying glued to one of the many sports events shown in the Cabaret lounge and bar area, order a burger from our bar bites menu and continue on with what you were doing!
- Tuesday is Learn About Composting Day. We have one of the most knowledgeable, interesting, eclectic and entertaining soil compost experts right here in the Carson Valley. Want to know more than you ever knew existed about this subject? Call or visit Craig at Full Circle Compost.
- Still in the Works: Details on all the Food, Wine and Beer Offerings at the Carson Valley Music, Food & Brew Fest coming up in TJ’s Corral on Friday, June 15 as part of the 8th Annual Mike Tice Charity Weekend “For the Kids.”
In the Casino - Free Stuff Plus
Grand Prize Giveaways this Weekend
Grand Prize Giveaways this Weekend
- 2 Piece Candy Dish
- Free Camo T-Shirt Thursday: A Free CVI Camo T-Shirt is yours this Thursday for earning just 50 base points the same day. You get the shirt plus keep those 50 points, so be sure to use your Inn Club card!
- Cash & FreePlay Grand Prize Drawings Friday and Saturday: Join us at 5 and 7 PM this Friday and Saturday as we wrap up the weekly drawings in our May cash in free play giveaway. We'll pull 10 winners at each drawing and the least can do is walk away with $100 . . . Plus there’s a guaranteed $1000 winner each night. You automatically receive one free entry into these drawings for every five base points you earn during May!
- Cash & Freeplay Bash Saturday: This Saturday after the Grand Prize drawings at 7 we’ll roll right into Cash & Freeplay hot seat drawings from 7 to 8 PM with ten guaranteed $100 winners . . . be sure to use your INN Club card while playing in the casino!
- 5X Points Saturday: Inn Club members earn 5X Points this Saturday which translates to five times the build-up of comp value!
- Free Gift Mondays: We have a free gift for INN Club members earning just 100 base points the same day . . . You get the gift plus keep the points!
- Mystery Multiplier Drawings Tuesday: Join us at 6 and 8 PM for the month-end drawings in our May scratcher promotion.
- At the Sports and Race Book: This week racing fans can bet the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. Also on the board: tonight's Game 7 of the Capitals-Lightning Match to see who faces off against the Vegas Golden Knights for the Stanley Cup. The NBA Conference Championship Series games are up as is daily Horseracing. Futures on the board include the FIFA World Cup Russia™ (June 14 – July 15), U.S. Open Golf (June 14 – 17), NBA Championship (really getting interesting now), NHL Stanley Cup, World Series, NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships, the 2019 Super Bowl and the NCAA Football Championship!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday it's Grilled Elk Medallions finished with a brandy cherry demi and sundried cherries for $32. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino, Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino and Betsy’s Big Kitchen at Slot World Casino.
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge
Jeff Campbell tonight and Thursday, Buddy Emmer Band Friday through Sunday, and Hans Eberbach Monday and Tuesday. Jeff Campbell is a vocalist, impassioned songwriter and lifelong musician . . . an emotional, evocative poet with a rock lover’s heart! A longtime favorite on the West Coast and Northern Nevada circuit the Buddy Emmer Band’s versatile style includes everything from blues to jazz, rock to reggae and top 40. Whatever your taste in tunes they will be sure to please! Vocalist and songwriter Hans Eberbach sings for Joy & Madness, an evolution of vintage soul sound with modern classic pop sensibilities. He also fronts his own band HANS! and the HOT MESS.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!