Kenny Loggins Last Year, Blue Angels This Year
Think about it: Minden, Nevada, population 3,001 according to the 2010 census. Kenny Loggins performs to a sold-out crowd in Minden in 2017 . . . the US Navy Blue Angels will be in Minden next week staging and performing at Minden-Tahoe Airport. Seriously, how does this happen!? Rather than dwell on the why, get in the mood for next week's Aviation Roundup by enjoying the above video which shows the US Navy Blue Angels performing to the music of Kenny Loggins’ Danger Zone . . . which he performed live last year in TJ's Corral! Many other aerobatic acts, static aircraft displays and vendor booths will be on hand for the Aviation Roundup – more information is on this website, tickets are available either online or at Raley's Gardnerville. We can't wait!
What do Comedy and Fall Colors have to do with each other? Normally nothing . . . Unless one is describing off-color comedy! Brian Lee visited with us last week to check out the Valley Ballroom for the Core 4 Comedy Show he is headlining on Saturday night, November 10. Our friend Tim Parsons from Tahoe Onstage also came down to interview Brian for a story he will be posting online fairly soon. On his way down, Tim took some fall color pictures on Highway 88 in the Hope Valley area. Tim shared the above with us which is from this article he posted with even more fall color pictures taken within 20 minutes of the Carson Valley Inn. As for the subject off-color comedy, we asked Brian about that very subject and we are still trying to totally interpret his response which was, "My parents come to my shows . . . but they also have my sense of humor!" Tickets for the November 10 comedy show are $20 and you can buy them online or at our hotel desk.
Coming Up at the CVI
We're starting to get questions about these three events, so please mark your calendar and we’ll have more information coming in future weeks:
- A Touch of Class Craft Fair: Thursday – Saturday, October 25 – 27 in the Valley Ballroom. Admission is free for this uniquely structured craft fair. Click here for more information.
- in the Valley Ballroom. We've been doing this for a number of years and we'll have more information for you very soon.
- Share your Christmas Food Drive: Friday, December 7 in our west parking lot along Highway 395. This is the annual 12-hour day devoted to raising food and cash for the Carson Valley Community Food Closet! Thanks to the warm and overwhelming generosity of our community, the Food Closet will soon be opening a bigger, better, more efficient and more user-friendly facility which is currently under construction. Check the story that recently ran on KTVN Channel 2News at this link.
- The Progressive Pro PK'EM is at $3,053 for this week . . . play a $5 card and it’s yours if you pick all 15 games straight up . . . seems like it wouldn’t be that difficult!
- Monday Night Football Poker Room Grid: More of the squares went unclaimed this past Monday so the squares are worth $94 each for this coming Monday’s Redskins/Saints game. You have to be present to win and any unclaimed winnings roll to the following week. Check the details on this page.
- Our Guys Picks! The Guys had another “keep your day job” week going 3 & 5. If you’ve been following the guys weekly Blog Picks for the past two years, one LOCK has seemed to emerged: bet against Greg’s picks! Moving on to week 5, Greg (3 - 5) takes the Patriots -10 vs. the Colts and the Bills +3½ against the Titans. Mike (5 - 3) is sticking to the college path with Nevada +12 vs. Fresno and, in a true display of “Fear the Turtle," Maryland +17½ vs his alma mater Michigan. Steve (4 - 4) sees high scoring and has picked over 52½ in the Saints/Redskins game and over 48½ in the Chiefs/Jaguars contest. Alan (3 - 5) sees the Steelers -3 rebounding against the Falcons and took the over 53½ in the Raiders/Chargers game.
- Beer & Snacks: Enjoy $2 Domestic Draft Beer during all NFL games at the CVI. Our staff will bring your bar bites order to you right at your seat.
- NHL Hockey is Back Today! This week you can bet NCAA and NFL Football, NHL Hockey, the Major League Baseball Playoffs, Canadian Football League, the Sunday NASCAR Gander Outdoors 400 and Horseracing. Futures include winners of the World Series, NASCAR Monster Energy Series, the NFL Conference Championships, the 2019 Super Bowl, the 2019 NCAA Football Championship, the 2019 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, the 2019 Stanley Cup and the 2019 NBA Championship.
All About Food & Drink!
|Gotta Try the Fish Tacos Plate in Katie's!|
- Thursday is Vodka Day. We don't mind shifting the attention to our walking-distance neighbor Bently Heritage Estate Distillery which is planning on opening to the public before the end of November. While fine whiskeys are their end game (already aging in the barrels), they will have their estate vodka and gin ready to sample and buy when they open. Until then, we have a variety of vodkas available at the CV Steak bar so stop by and enjoy your favorite!
- Thursday is also Taco Day. Our hands-down favorite is the Fish Taco Plate served in Katie's every day for $7.99: Two tasty soft shell tacos with white fish, tangy slaw, rice and beans (refried or black)!
- Saturday is Noodle Day. We believe any type of pasta fits the "Noodle Day" celebration so we draw your attention to the Seafood Linguine or the Clams Linguine in CV Steak. The latter comes with our special black ink pasta!
- Tuesday is Beer and Pizza Day. There are days we'd love to be able to order pizza here at the Carson Valley Inn. However, our sister property Bodine's Casino on the south end of Carson City is hard to beat. They're special brick pizza oven produces a surface of over 600°F which is perfect for cooking every made to order pizza. Enjoy a Bodines pizza and your favorite brew on Beer and Pizza Day or any day.
Talk about a lot to do, see and enjoy all happening in Heritage Park just steps from Sharkey’s Casino this Saturday: Coffin Races, a Business Marketplace, a Garden Harvest Fest and a Scarecrow Festival! Details for this Main Street Fall Fest are at this link. Be sure to stop by Sharkey's before or after your time at Heritage Park for a bite to eat in the Jackpot Cafe or some liquid refreshment at the Silver Dollar Bar.
We’ll Be at the Fall Job Expo
If you missed our Job Fair in September, be sure to catch our HR Team at the Fall 2018 Job Expo on Thursday, October 11 at the C.V.I.C. Hall on Esmeralda Ave. in Minden. We’ll be there from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM and we have openings at all four of our properties!
This Week in the Casino
- a Free Messenger Shoulder Tote for the first 150 ladies and World Market Baskets as hot seat prizes
- Point Multipliers Friday: 4X Points on Reel Slots and Video Poker Slots all day every Friday in October. Watch those points add up fast and use them for dining, FreePlay, Katie’s Bakery products and more!
- Friday and Saturday Giveaways: Join us at 5, 7 and 9 PM for our giveaway drawings for cash and FreePlay.
- Your Rewards Monday: INN Club members can swipe at the casino kiosk once on Monday for Your Reward. Could be FreePlay, a Free Food offer, a Free Multiplier or a Free Gift!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each served from 11 AM to 10 PM! The Friday and Saturday night special in Katie’s is Roasted Prime Rib & Fried Shrimp for $14.99 served from 4 PM.
- Thursday’s special in CV Steak is the CV Steak Mix Grill, a combination of our Filet Mignon, a Dijon and molasses Marinated Pork Tenderloin Medallion and Herb Marinated Lamb Chop for $26. This Friday it’s Medallions of Wild Boar Tenderloin finished with a bourbon jus for $30. Saturday night’s special is Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is King Crab Legs for $28. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato – au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked – tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
Carolyn Dolan tonight, Full Blast Thursday thru Saturday, NFL Football Sunday and Monday nights and Jamie Rollins next Tuesday and Wednesday. Vocalist and songwriter Carolyn Dolan can dive into powerful R & B, deliver a smooth jazz standard or a gentle country ballad. For the last fifteen years, she has been performing with her rockin' blues and R & B band, Carolyn Dolan and Big Red. Cliff Porter's Full Blast is a high-energy, genre-crossing band that will take you on a trip through old school classics to today's hits! Music styles range from funk, to jazz, from Gospel infused instrumentals to country and rock! Jamie Rollins is an upbeat and experienced entertainer, performing a variety of music from country to rock, to classic oldies and R&B – plus a few his own songs.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!