Is There a New Chevy Sonic in Your Future? One lucky INN Club member is guaranteed to win a Chevy Sonic or a cash option in our grand prize drawings on Saturday, March 28! The new car, on display near our electronic sign courtesy of Michael Hohl Motor Company, will go to one of the Golden Ticket holders who qualifies in our Friday and Saturday night drawings all month. Add in free gift days, ladies nights, 3X points days, St. Patrick's Day fun and our monthly blackjack tournament and you have quite a plethora of payout possibilities this March at the CVI!
Let's Get this Meal Started Right! Our friend Joey Crandall at carsonvalleytimes.com is at it again with another one of his "throw downs" for a readers-choice favorite Carson Valley food dish. This time it's App Wars - a poll in search of Carson Valley’s Signature Appetizer or Starter. The nomination round is now open and you can vote through 5 p.m. Friday, March 6 by clicking on this link. You'll notice we have a good representation of appetizer selections from both CV Steak and Katie's on the ballot so far. My personal favorite? Glad you asked: it's the Sampler Platter in CV Steak which can be ordered for either two or four people . . . and the Ahi starter is a very close second!!
Sharkey's Casino Job Fair March 14 at CVI: As the reopening of Sharkey's Casino gets closer, hiring will begin for a number of positions at a Job Fair here at the Carson Valley Inn on Saturday, March 14 from 9 AM to 2 PM. Here are more details:
- Location: The Picon Room, which is just inside the hotel entrance, to the left.
- Job Positions to Be Filled:
- Casino: Slot Floor Person, Sports Book Writers, Security, Cleaning Attendants.
- Guest Service: Cashier, Main Bank.
- Food & Beverage: Cooks, Hosts, Servers, Bartenders.
- Fastest Way to Be Considered: Bring a completed Carson Valley Inn application. Here are a few ways you can obtain one in advance:
- Go to www.carsonvalleyinn.com and click on the word "EMPLOYMENT" which appears at the bottom of every page on our website. Click in the appropriate place for the job application. Or, better yet, click here and the job application will load. You can complete it on your computer, save it, print it, and bring it with you. Or you can print out the blank form, fill it out by hand, and bring it with you.
- Stop at the Carson Valley Inn HR office, pick up an application, complete it and bring with you on March 14.
- Employment Applications will also be available at the Job Fair.
- Answers to some of the common job-related questions we receive about Sharkey's Casino:
- All pre-opening hiring for Sharkey's will be done through the Carson Valley Inn HR Department. Please do not go to Sharkey's as it is a very busy construction zone.
- We do not know the exact opening date. It will most likely be sometime in April. However, we will be hiring and start training shortly after the Job Fair.
- If a job position does not appear above, we do not have that position open at Sharkey's.
- Sharkey's will have slots plus a sports book, bar and restaurant. No table games are planned.
- Yes, you still have to submit a completed application even if you have a resume.
- Oh, in case you "just tuned in" and are wondering why we at the CVI are doing a Sharkey's Job Fair? Mike Pegram, owner of the Carson Valley Inn, bought Sharkey's late last year and many of the administrative support services for Sharkey's will be provided by the Carson Valley Inn.
How Did the Last Hour Escape Me? Happens to all of us: We get busy, we lose track of time, and the next thing we know it's an hour later. One time a year it's really not an illusion – it actually happens. So, this Sunday at 2 a.m. we spring the clocks forward to 3 a.m. Is it Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Savings Time? The answer to that trivia question and some more interesting facts about this twice-a-year exercise are at this link.
Ladies-Only Poker Tournament a Good "Deal!" Our inaugural Ladies-Only, No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em Bounty Tourney was a big hit last Sunday and Donna Negrey won the tournament on, get this, her 59th wedding anniversary! If you're doing the math in your head, you gotta be thinking "How did a 'gotta-be-close-to-80-year-old' take out all of the younger competitors!" Actually, we're thinking the same thing and will ponder it until Sunday, March 29 when Donna defends her title in the next monthly tournament which was moved a week earlier than normal due to Easter Sunday the following week.
Lasso This One Soon: As of the posting of this blog we only have four of the Genoa Cowboy Festival Weekend Special Packages left to sell for May 1 & 2. Just $279 plus tax includes a room for two people for Friday and Saturday nights, two front section tickets for the Friday night concert, two front section tickets for the Saturday night concert and a $50 food credit.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Merle Still Has It! Judging by the record-setting readership of our blog posting last Wednesday, Merle Haggard still has incredible popularity and name recognition. We know you are hankering to buy tickets for his appearance live in concert in TJ's Corral on Friday, May 1 . . . . And we promise we'll have that information soon and post it in our weekly blog and on this page!
- Soar Like an Eagle - Only Higher! Last week we mentioned four community organization events happening in our Valley Ballroom during March and, by gosh, we forgot one! Also happening here at the CVI is the Sports Aviation Foundation Dinner on Friday, March 20 featuring Jim Payne who will be talking about this experience preparing for the Perlan II high-altitude flight which will take soaring to the edge of space. For tickets and more information call 775-782-9871.
- Seriously? If you are reading this blog on Friday, March 6, you are definitely not observing this national day! Enjoying an omelet in Katie's on Saturday, March 7? You obviously missed the point of this national day. And, finally, if you see someone in an obvious frenzy on Monday, March 9, don't be too concerned - they're likely just letting off some steam on this national day.
- Venison Friday in CV Steak: Our Friday Game Special this week is Roasted Rack of Venison with Cherry Port Demi. A 4-bone venison rack seasoned with fresh herbs and roasted; served with tableside-tossed salad, vegetable and your choice of potato - au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked potato . . . all for $32.00.
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive the second in a series four March Bakeware products. Also enjoy hot seat drawings for World Market gift baskets, ladies-only drink specials, a ladies-only slot tournament and more.