The Volcano Barely Edges The Hangover! Sounds like the headlines the day after a bout between two boxers with quirky names! If you read our blog last week, you'll know these are both specialty hamburgers we serve in the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino. And the truth is, The Volcano barely did edge The Hangover for first place in the Burger Wars poll by carsonvalleytimes.com so The Volcano joins the top three finishers in the 2014 Burger Wars poll for the 2015 Finals voting which starts this coming Monday at carsonvalleytimes.com.
The Volcano is definitely a unique burger. We start with ground beef and
ground chorizo and combine them together in a mixture percentage known only to
Chef Bruce at Sharkey's. A beginning amount of ghost pepper cheese (pretty darn
hot stuff!) is folded into this meat mixture. The burger is then cooked and
additional ghost pepper cheese is melted on top. We add a secret spicy
sauce and sprinkle on some volcano dust, a seasoning blend of some pretty spicy
peppers (again known only to Chef Bruce). We serve it up with a stack of french
fries or, for a small extra charge you can get sweet potato waffle fries which
tend to ease the “heat” of the burger.
|I may not look hot, but read about me . . . I am!|
If you think The Volcano is close to the edge of the charts, be sure to check one of the other finalists, the “not for lightweights” CV Steak Gourmet Burger available in two versions: The French Disaster and The American Disaster. We start with two half-pound Char Broiled Burger Patties made from choice Filet Mignon, New York and Rib Eye Steak ground in house. Toppings and additions include Jack and Cheddar Cheese, Smoked Tomato, Pickled Cucumber Slices, an Onion Ring and Truffle Oil Mayonnaise. The French Disaster is topped with Duck liver "Foie Gras" and a Quail Egg . . . The American Disaster is topped with Applewood-Smoked Bacon. This monstrosity is served with Fresh Potatoes, French Fried and lathered with butter and garlic Parsley. Most people can't finish this gigantuous $19 feast but they often come back to try again!
The 15th Annual Touch of Class Craft Show is this Thursday through Saturday in our Valley Ballroom from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. each day. A Touch of Class is a unique craft show as all of the twodozen plus crafters sell items handmade here in Nevada, there are no booths, and there are central cashiers eliminating the need to purchase items from individual crafters. For more information, contact Sue at 775-265-1097. Or, better yet, catch this 3-minute clip with Melissa Carlson that aired on MyNews4 and Fox 11 News earlier this week. Great coverage of everything you can expect!
Good Game Last Week Coach! The Nevada Wolf Pack looked good in their win over New Mexico last Saturday and Coach Brian Polian shared the highlights with those attending the weekly Blitz Lunch last Monday – but it was in Reno (boo). The Pack is at Wyoming this Saturday and they then host Hawaii on Saturday, October 24th. Win or lose that week, Coach Polian will be here at the Carson Valley Inn for his Blitz Lunch in our Valley Ballroom on Monday, October 26 and let’s hope the film and player highlights he shares are of a big win over the Rainbow Warriors! All Wolfpack fans are invited to attend . . . and we make it easy on you as no reservations are necessary, just show up for the start of the gathering at 11:30 a.m. and pay at the door (under $20).
Fun Bunko - Serious Cause: Time to get serious about participating in the annual Bunko for Breast Cancer event in the CVI Valley Ballroom on Saturday night, October 24. There are lots of ways you can get involved including assembling and sponsoring a team, sponsoring a table, giving a cash donation, donating prizes for the raffle or auction, or just throwing your hat into the ring to help in whatever way is needed. The Bunko for Breast Cancer Webpage has links to just about anything that might trigger your involvement. So how many are on a bunco team? What kind of prizes are they looking for? What’s the dress theme? Heck, we don't know all the answers . . . we're still befuddled by why this group spells it "Bunko" when everything we've found says "Bunco!" For the answers to these and other questions, call Sheila at 775-215-1626.
Race and Sports Book:
- This week you can watch and bet Horseracing, the Major League Baseball playoffs (3 series finale showdowns between today and tomorrow), NFL and College Football, and Sunday’s NASCAR Hollywood Casino 400 at the Kansas Speedway.
- The PRO PK’EM jackpot is $3,358 on this week’s progressive parlay card.
- Football games our sports book crew is watching with interest this weekend include the Michigan (#7) vs. Michigan State (#12) game on Saturday, all the Sunday NFL games involving the remaining unbeaten teams and the Giants vs. Eagles game on Monday night. They also gave us a “sure bet” – the Atlanta Falcons will remain undefeated after this weekend! Of course we all know about the uncertainty of a "sure bet!"
Main Street Minden Fall Fling This Saturday: The Main Street Minden Fall Fling this Saturday, October 17 is from 3 to 9 pm on Esmeralda Street, a short walk from the CVI. Food available for purchase includes soups, stuffed mushrooms, chips and salsa, fabulous BBQ appetizers and more. There will also be hot cocoa, 12 beers on tap and other beverages for sale. Kids activities include balloon animals, Photobooth by Legendary Entertainment, pumpkin decorating and story teller Captain Michael. While the adults enjoy more food and beverage along Esmeralda Street, the kids can watch the movie Frankenweenie in the CVIC Hall with FREE adult supervision, and popcorn from Ironwood Cinemas. Find out more on the Main Street Minden or call Sheila at (775) 309-1101.
Cabaret Lounge Entertainment – No Cover, No Minimum – Free! Josh Budro performs tonight, the The Voodoo Cowboys make their CVI Cabaret Lounge debut Thursday thru Saturday nights, NFL Football is on Sunday and Monday Nights and George Pickard appears next Tuesday and Wednesday. Playing together since 2009, the Voodoo Cowboys have appeared at most major casino venues in Nevada. Not the “cryin' in your beer” type country band, they are the life of the party with their dance-inducing, hard drivin' country music and rock ‘n’ roll. The group has rocked crowds on numerous stages around the world, as well as sharing stages with such rock and country stars as David Nail, Little Texas, Ron Keel, Toby Keith and many more. George Pickard is an early-week regular at the CVI. He co-wrote What Did You Do with Your Old Forty Fives for Bobby Vinton and was also one of the Kingsmen (Louie, Louie) for a while.
As Always, Interesting, Helpful and Even Useful Tidbits and News
- Wednesday Ladies' Night 5:30 to 8:30 PM: The first 150 ladies to sign up tonight receive a blue or silver water bottle and coupon for tonight's ladies-only drink special. There are also ladies-only raffles and hot seat drawings for Wine Country Gift Gift Baskets. Also just for October: Earn just 50 points during Ladies Night and receive a free ladies shirt plus you keep the points! Tonight’s free shirt is a pink short sleeve t-shirt.
- Quail Friday, Prime Rib Saturday, King Crab Sunday in CV Steak: Our Friday Special this week is Roasted Stuffed Quail with prosciutto, wild rice and plum port glaze for $28.00. Saturday night its Garlic Studded Prime Rib for $26 and Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. All these specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Because we feel like mentioning it:
- Today is National Dessert Day. Best we can interpret the meaning, everyone is supposed to disregard calorie, fat, or sugar content and just gobble it all down. We're neither suggesting that you do this nor suggesting that you don't. However, if it sounds good, the desserts in Katie's and CV Steak are here to help you.
- Friday is Bosses Day. The theory is that it doesn't hurt to be nice to your boss at least one day a year! And if you decide to write your boss and note, please make sure that your spelling and grammar are correct as Friday is also Dictionary Day.
- Saturday is Wear Something Gaudy Day. For some of us, that just means that what we wear every day is somewhat acceptable and tolerated one day a year.
- Monday is Evaluate Your Life Day. Probably falls at a good time especially if you overate on the National Dessert Day, took the wrong approach on Bosses Day, and really went overboard on Wear Something Gaudy Day!
- Next Wednesday is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day and rumor has it we will have fresh made (in our bakery) pumpkin cheesecake for sale in Katie's and at the Katie's bakery counter.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or just pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!