“Something touched me deep inside the day the music died”
These lyrics are from the song “American Pie” by Don McLean, written about a tragic event on February 3, 1959 that deeply affected the music industry. Seems ironic that this Friday is February 3 and last Friday the CVI experienced a too-close-to-home “Day the music died” when Stew Stewart, our former Entertainment Manager and long-time northern-Nevada entertainer passed on. Stew had many sides to his modus operandi and what often was seen as a crusty exterior hid a heart of gold, true devotion to friends and a willingness to help others who showed they “got it.” We invite you to spend 3 or 4 minutes and read this tribute collectively written by the members of the band Decades who Stew took under his wing . . . they appeared in our Cabaret Lounge last Thursday and Friday and learned of Stew’s passing while they were here.
You May Be Able To Say "I Knew Him When!"
|John Cole Taylor |
One of Three Performers February 17 at CVI
True Willie Band February 10
It took hours to “stage,” was a fleeting few seconds on screen, and was noticed by many! That’s the best way to summarize Roger Hegyi’s appearance as Willie Nelson in a Passat commercial (watch for the yellow bug at about :16) that ran last fall. Roger shares the “story behind the story” in this article from the Orange County Register. Not only does he look like Willie, but Roger and his True Willie Band act, sound and ooze the authenticity of the real man . . . so don’t miss the True Willie Band Show coming to our Valley Ballroom on Friday, February 10 with shows at 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. Tickets ($20) are available at the Hotel Desk or call 775-783-6606.
|Make Your Dinner Plans Now!|
- CV Steak’s Valentine's Day Specials are a Tournedos Trio (a filet mignon wrapped in bacon with peppercorn sauce, a blackened filet mignon with southwest au jus and a blue cheese crusted filet mignon) for $34. The Grilled Salmon Oscar includes a salmon fillet served with crab meat, asparagus, béarnaise sauce and port wine glaze for $30. Both specials include the CV Steak signature table side tossed salad, sour dough baguette, creamery butter, and choice of twice-baked, baked or au gratin potatoes. Reservations are recommended in CV Steak and are a must for Valentine’s Day at 775-783-6650.
- Katie's Valentine's Day specials from 2 to 10 p.m. are a half-pound Roasted Prime Rib and Fried Shrimp Dinner served with baked potato, vegetable and soup or salad for $14.99 and a Penne Pasta Shrimp Scampi special with soup or salad for $10.99.
Sports and Race Book:
- On the Board: This week you can bet the Super Bowl, NBA, College Basketball and NHL. Also on the board: wager on who will win the NASCAR Daytona 500, NCAA Basketball Championship, Masters, NBA Championship, NHL Stanley Cup and World Series.
- $5,000 PRO PK’EM Parlay Progressive Guaranteed Winner This Week! The Super Sunday $5 card is out with 15 props on the big game. Bet as many cards as you like at the Sports Books at the CVI, Bodines Casino or Sharkey’s Casino. Whoever gets the most out of 15 correct wins the $5,000 with any ties split. Why not play a couple of cards ‘cause the $5,000 will be paid out this coming week! And follow this carefully: The only people who can win this Jackpot are those who play cards at one of our three casinos this week, for this game. While the $100,000 card advertised elsewhere sounds nice, you are wagering against players at over 100 locations around Nevada. We like our odds better . . . a lot better.
- Around the Sportsbook with Mike, Alan and Greg:
- Last Week: The guys had a week off to ponder their choices for the Super Bowl Game.
- So How Did it All Wind Up? We tallied up the results since we started last fall and here’s how it came out – remember; only Mike has been in since we started and the first few weeks Alan made only one pick:
- Mike: The longest prognosticator this season, Mike went 18-14 for a 56.25% success rate.
- Alan: Joining in after the first few weeks, Alan went 12-11 for 52.17%
- Greg: Wanting more games on which to judge, Greg didn’t jump in until mid-December and he wound up at 9-5 for an impressive 64.29%.
- Picks for the Super Bowl Game: We gave Alan, Mike and Greg the following “rules:” You have to make four picks: Winner, over/under, and your choice of any two props on our board. Here’s what they offered with the Patriots at +4 and an over/under of 60½:
- Mike: Patriots, over, L. Bount will score a TD (1123) and neither team convert a FG in the 1st Qtr (1094).
- Alan: Patriots, under, there will not be three unanswered scoresi n the game (1022) and Edleman will score a TD (1129).
- Greg: Patriots, over, tails on the coin toss (1030) and Falcons final point total will be an odd number (167).
Happening this Week!
- Thursday is World Play Your Ukulele Day. How could that possibly mean anything to the Carson Valley Inn? Thanks to local resident Doug Reynolds, two very successful and well attended Ukulele Retreats have been held here at the CVI in the last year and we are working with Doug on more. What’s it all about? Doug tells the story best on his webpage.
- Friday is National Carrot Cake Day and you can mark the occasion with a mini or full-size carrot cake baked fresh in our bakery and sold at the Katie’s Bakery Counter!
- This week’s Cheesecake of the Week (thru Sunday) is Cappuccino!
|Whiskey Maiden in the Cabaret Lounge|
Free Entertainment in the Cabaret Lounge:
Jamie Rollins tonight, Whiskey Maiden Thursday through Saturday, Rock River Sunday and Monday and Adam Bergoch next Tuesday and Wednesday. Whiskey Maiden, February 2 – 4: Whiskey Maiden is making their CVI debut this weekend. This premiere country/rock/pop act out of California entertains with modern music, high energy performance & nonstop dance-floor-filling song selections. Fronted by the charismatic & soaring vocals of Sandy Nuyts, the members are highly skilled musicians who have performed with the likes of Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Neil McCoy, Hootie & the Blowfish, Edwin McCain & many more national & international artists. After the game on Sunday, Rock River (Buddy and Kim from the Buddy Emmer Blues Band) present an evening of blues (one of the teams will identify) and other music!
- Manicure Set World Market
- $1,000 Guaranteed Friday: Free Cash and Getaway Giveaways Promotion drawings at 5, 7 and 9 PM. $1,000 in some combination of Cash, Free Play and Trips is guaranteed this Friday and every Friday through February 24th.
- 4X Points Saturday: 4X Points this and every Saturday in February – that’s quadruple the benefits for your play!
- Eat and Drink During Sunday’s Game: Enjoy $2 Draft Beer and the convenience of delivered-to-your-seat Bar Bites while you watch the big game in our Cabaret Lounge or at the Casino Bar or CV Steak Bar. And stick around after the game for cash drawings and the chance to win up to $1,000!
- Penny Progressive Now Over $59,500 . . . someone will win this jackpot on one of the Triple Red Hot 7's slots at the CVI, Sharkey’s or Bodines.
- Win squares in our $160 Super Sunday Football Grid.
- Here’s a Handy Page with all our Current Casino Promotions!
In Our Restaurants
- Wednesday is Italian Day/Night in Katie’s – three specials for $6.99 each!
- Our Friday special in CV Steak is Roasted Rack of Venison with cherry brandy demi for $32. Sunday's special is one pound of King Crab Legs for $32. These specials are served with fresh vegetable, choice of rice or potato (au gratin, baked, or a one-pound, twice-baked), tableside tossed salad and warm demi-loaf of bread.
- Click the restaurant name for more info, specials and links to menus for Katie’s, CV Steak and Jobs Perk at the CVI . . . or our nearby sister property restaurants, the Jackpot Café at Sharkey's Casino and the Bodines Restaurant at Bodines Casino.
Planning a Stay at the CVI? You will always get the best rate by booking directly with the Carson Valley Inn either online or by calling our Reservation Department directly at 775-783-6629 or 800-321-6983.
Comments? Have questions or comments about the CVI? Use the comments section below, shoot us an email or pick up the phone and call us @ 775-782-9711. Hit “0” when the automated voice comes on and you'll go right to the hotel operator who can get you to the correct person or department. We have a lot more coming up at the Carson Valley Inn so check our Blog posting every Wednesday morning!